Reef Patrol: Have you kept an urchin in your marine aquarium?

Have you kept an urchin in your marine aquarium?

• I currently keep an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 292 54.4%
  • I have kept an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • I have plans to keep an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 37 6.9%
  • I am open to the idea of keeping an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 79 14.7%
  • I am not interested in keeping an urchin in my tank.

Votes: 40 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 but they died, now my tank has exploded with algae. need to get some ASAP miss them
Tuxedo urchin with GSP

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tuxedo and a purple urchin in my 200 g tank. I can’t keep turbo snails due to a yellow coris wrasse and flame hawk fish that eat them like skittles. The urchins do a great job in controlling algae and I don’t have any issues with corals being moved around.

Attachments

• IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 31

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic with a varigated, and black short spine with no issues seen. They are not on the sides much. The back sometimes. The pencil I moved to the sump and my glass tanks to be safe.

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tuxedo Urchin named George (as in King George because it looks like a crown). It's beautiful, but makes itself look ridiculous picking up sand. It also waffle-stomps little zoa frags in the sand. The zoas always recover like champs, and I like George even when it's looking ridiculous.
20230802_175540.jpg

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Patrol: Have you kept an urchin in your marine aquarium?

Whether you choose a short-spine, long-spine, tuxedo, or pencil, each of these types of urchins can be an unusual worker to your tank. It is important to know the maximum size for the species and make sure that you have the appropriate space. If you can provide a stable home, then you will likely be rewarded with a creature that will regularly be trimming your algae. Although far from cuddly, their utility, unique look, and sometimes entertaining personalities can make them a special tank resident. Have you kept an urchin in your marine aquarium? If so, let us know about your experiences with them and please share any tips or warnings that may be helpful to others who are considering one.

HeatherSheehan_Urchin.jpeg

Photo by @Heather Sheehan

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
I'd be afraid of what one might chew off of my rocks

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Back and forth: Seoul, South Korea to Florida
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Are there any difference between red and blue tuxedo besides the color?
no... not that i know of anyways? but i dont believe so. just a SLIGHT color difference. lol. and when i say slight, it's honestly like... a tiny of color? but they're the same species, etc.

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Back and forth: Seoul, South Korea to Florida
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a Tuxedo Urchin named George (as in King George because it looks like a crown). It's beautiful, but makes itself look ridiculous picking up sand. It also waffle-stomps little zoa frags in the sand. The zoas always recover like champs, and I like George even when it's looking ridiculous.
20230802_175540.jpg
oh, hes fancy! that's a trend setter. looks like hes very into fashion and keeps the latest and popular outfits in his closet! nice! :D i love it!

winemanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad this came up! I love my urchins. I have had tuxedos in the past, but my pin cushions do the best with algae control. With that being said, even glued down they manage to free an occasional frag. It wouldn’t bother me, but they leave it somewhere behind the rockwork (every time) and I have to scuba dive (almost exaggerating) to save it. Anyone have an urchin resistant glue or technique to share??

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black long spined urchin for 10 years. It’s quite larger, slightly bigger than a softball.

One time it got me under my finger nail and sent me to the ER. Quite a story there.

It’s an evil creature but does a great job with cleaning.

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly why I don’t get a long spine. I really want one but don’t want to have to deal with avoiding it and / or getting sent to the ER.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love, love my pin Cushion Urchin...he's a beast cleaning algae, and for 3 months now he wears a seashell as his main hat, along with fine crushed coral for his camouflage...he got entangled with snails a few days ago and lost his hat, so I gently restuck it on him, and he's good to go. Couldn't imagine my tank without having him.

Tiny Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my urchin, he does great controlling algae but does wreak havoc on a few loose frags I have. He ALWAYS wears at least one hat. Now that I'm done acquiring fish, I turned my QT into a macro grow tank so he has fresh snax regularly because he does decimate algaes.
IMG_20230426_080159207.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back