reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

cheeseclock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test fitting the covers as I complete the wiring on the top side. I decided to use an arduino nano and a thermistor to control the fans.

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all .There is anywhere a new part list what to buy?Thank you not the old one,because now you could have Temp,Ph,and more staff.
The 1.0 parts list is still valid to large extent. Do you also plan to power control features?

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The 4th build, which is AIO will go through some changes, definitely a power strip integration, and may be ph monitoring as well.
It will be hard to combine everything though, because reef-pi is going through heavy development (and this is likely to be the case for quiet some time.. dosing, wavemaker is still in prototype phase), so there are some things thats always a work in progress.. but definitely two all in controllers are in my mind, each of them will completely control one pico tank., and have temperature, ato, kessil and power controller capabilities (reef-pi 1.0 specs).

Yeah that's understandable and it would be time consuming to do while under development, especially as you are adding modules so often :D But then on the flip side it clears up Pis and enclosures to test new modules on haha :p

I'll get around to doing it soon (maybe :p) the proto boards shipped on Friday so they should be here soon and the new RJ-45 plugs have also just arrived so I'll make the changes needed to the power board when the current assignment rush is over. Hopefully in the semester break coming up I'll get around to it as I'll also be on paternity leave for a bit of it too (no study and no work wooo).

That looks really awesome with the modules all mounted on the wall behind your tanks!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's understandable and it would be time consuming to do while under development, especially as you are adding modules so often :D But then on the flip side it clears up Pis and enclosures to test new modules on haha :p

I'll get around to doing it soon (maybe :p) the proto boards shipped on Friday so they should be here soon and the new RJ-45 plugs have also just arrived so I'll make the changes needed to the power board when the current assignment rush is over. Hopefully in the semester break coming up I'll get around to it as I'll also be on paternity leave for a bit of it too (no study and no work wooo).

That looks really awesome with the modules all mounted on the wall behind your tanks!
The wirings are kinda mess. I am being lazy on that one. We are planning to move, to Palo Alto sometime next month. So, I am not putting any effort till then. I have makerfaire also two weeks after, at least three of these, along with two of the pico will be on exhibition., other than a fully disintegrated reef-pi :) . This time they all (the builds) look lot prettier. I am hoping the color coded wire/pins will ease understanding the colors. I'll start updating all the guides soon, with actual build pictures etc. Let me know if you have any feedback.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wirings are kinda mess. I am being lazy on that one. We are planning to move, to Palo Alto sometime next month. So, I am not putting any effort till then. I have makerfaire also two weeks after, at least three of these, along with two of the pico will be on exhibition., other than a fully disintegrated reef-pi :) . This time they all (the builds) look lot prettier. I am hoping the color coded wire/pins will ease understanding the colors. I'll start updating all the guides soon, with actual build pictures etc. Let me know if you have any feedback.

Yes the colour coding helps for sure! I have just ordered some coloured header pins as well.

I have a feeling that those who saw ReefPi at your last maker fair will be blown away by the progress that you have made!

And I rely heavily on the guides so I will certainly be having a good read through them in June/July when I get time.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts coming tomorrow to get my reef-pi in operation.. Its been running on the work been for 7 days now flawless. I will post some Pics of my Sump room this week ....

Thanks

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,
I have just cut 2.0.0-beta release of reef-pi. I'll be improving this release going forward for all new features, while the 1.x series will be supported (security and bug fixes mostly), but without any new features till Christmas, this year.

This is a beta release, and likely container some rough edges, although I have run extensive set of physical and automated tests against this build. The reason for an early beta build is due to the incorporation of several API breaking features (including multiple temperature and ato support). There are still a handful of 2.0 features that needs to be implemented (e.g. programmability), but this release contains several of the 2.0 features and should make users experience lot better. I am making this release also to make the upcoming MakerFaire (19-21st May) exhibit code publicly available. Following are the summary of changes:
New features:
- Support for multiple ato sensors
- Support for multiple temperature sensors
- Enhanced dashboard customization (users can specify grid, types and height/width of individual charts)
- Temperature sub system now supports per sensor celsius of fahrenheit metric
- All metrics (ph, temperature, health, ato etc) are now periodically stored on sd card. This helps avoiding accidental loss of metrics due to un-controlled shutdown of the controller

There were several minor bug fixes and technical chores that were addressed as well, some of the highlights:
- Fixed height/width of temperature charts
- All metrics will have two decimal precision
- Consistent titles across all charts
- Extended UI tests for timer, ph, ato control sub-system

Release builds can be found in usual place: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.0.0-beta

Note: You have to remove old reef-pi installation and redo everything (sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi). This is a 2.0 series builds and it is not compatible with older releases.

I'll be working on documentation and any bugs encountered during their operation for next few weeks. If you need any help with 2.0 beta installation, feel free to seek help in this thread

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,
I have just cut 2.0.0-beta release of reef-pi. I'll be improving this release going forward for all new features, while the 1.x series will be supported (security and bug fixes mostly), but without any new features till Christmas, this year.

This is a beta release, and likely container some rough edges, although I have run extensive set of physical and automated tests against this build. The reason for an early beta build is due to the incorporation of several API breaking features (including multiple temperature and ato support). There are still a handful of 2.0 features that needs to be implemented (e.g. programmability), but this release contains several of the 2.0 features and should make users experience lot better. I am making this release also to make the upcoming MakerFaire (19-21st May) exhibit code publicly available. Following are the summary of changes:
New features:
- Support for multiple ato sensors
- Support for multiple temperature sensors
- Enhanced dashboard customization (users can specify grid, types and height/width of individual charts)
- Temperature sub system now supports per sensor celsius of fahrenheit metric
- All metrics (ph, temperature, health, ato etc) are now periodically stored on sd card. This helps avoiding accidental loss of metrics due to un-controlled shutdown of the controller

There were several minor bug fixes and technical chores that were addressed as well, some of the highlights:
- Fixed height/width of temperature charts
- All metrics will have two decimal precision
- Consistent titles across all charts
- Extended UI tests for timer, ph, ato control sub-system

Release builds can be found in usual place: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.0.0-beta

Note: You have to remove old reef-pi installation and redo everything (sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi). This is a 2.0 series builds and it is not compatible with older releases.

I'll be working on documentation and any bugs encountered during their operation for next few weeks. If you need any help with 2.0 beta installation, feel free to seek help in this thread

I will install on a new sd card tomorrow and let it run.. I have on one reef-pi relays , ato, dosing, lighting. temp , and some timer schemes . I will put the 1.5 in use tomorrow and continue testing the 2.o.. the multi ato (for auto water change) and Multi temp will help me a great deal , dealing with rodi water tank temp . Saltwater mixing tank temp... REEF TANK TEMP and Planted tropical tank temp..... the ato can do more then top off....

Thank you...very much

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will install on a new sd card tomorrow and let it run.. I have on one reef-pi relays , ato, dosing, lighting. temp , and some timer schemes . I will put the 1.5 in use tomorrow and continue testing the 2.o.. the multi ato (for auto water change) and Multi temp will help me a great deal , dealing with rodi water tank temp . Saltwater mixing tank temp... REEF TANK TEMP and Planted tropical tank temp..... the ato can do more then top off....

Thank you...very much
Thanks to you for testing. Be careful while setting up a reef-pi controller, test the build for workflows that you intend to use. Like ato , or temperature control. Due to differences in wiring and components things may not work as expected in the very beginning.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to you for testing. Be careful while setting up a reef-pi controller, test the build for workflows that you intend to use. Like ato , or temperature control. Due to differences in wiring and components things may not work as expected in the very beginning.

For sure

Because i need multi ato and temp sensors . I am imaging my 1.5 reef-pi sd card . then Upgrading it to 2.0 ..

are there any special wiring for Dual ato. sensor.... I seen your temp sensor board and I think i understand that..do i need a gpio for each ato float switch.... ??
Thanks in advance....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reef-pi features that I am testing out extensively this time is the "timer". At the very beginning (2 years ago almost) I used to use this feature for a lot of different things, including controlling the light on/off. I was using a par38 bulb during that time. Over the course of time I have upgraded most of the equipment (Kessil A80 for example) and almost all timers are now replaced with something else. ... but this time with the new adj relay and 2.0 changes going in, I am doing some experiment with the timers.

I am using the timers to stop the return pump periodically to simulate a primitive tidal effect. I dont know if it will have any effect or not (good or bad), so, initial thought is to let it run for some time (say a month) and see what happens. Also test the relay, circuit and software code at the same time.
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 7.57.08 AM.png

I have two pico tanks, Healdsburg (Fluval spec 3) and Bozeman (imagitarium 3.7G). Individual timers are used to stop the return pump after every 30 min or 15 min for 60 seconds. And then turn back on. This is working as expected for past two days. No effect on tank temperature (ignore the first bumpy readings of bozeman temperature sensor, probe was out of water)
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.04.59 AM.png

I dont have ph monitoring for my pico tanks, so no idea if this impact pH. But corals look ok.,

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reef-pi features that I am testing out extensively this time is the "timer". At the very beginning (2 years ago almost) I used to use this feature for a lot of different things, including controlling the light on/off. I was using a par38 bulb during that time. Over the course of time I have upgraded most of the equipment (Kessil A80 for example) and almost all timers are now replaced with something else. ... but this time with the new adj relay and 2.0 changes going in, I am doing some experiment with the timers.

I am using the timers to stop the return pump periodically to simulate a primitive tidal effect. I dont know if it will have any effect or not (good or bad), so, initial thought is to let it run for some time (say a month) and see what happens. Also test the relay, circuit and software code at the same time.
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 7.57.08 AM.png

I have two pico tanks, Healdsburg (Fluval spec 3) and Bozeman (imagitarium 3.7G). Individual timers are used to stop the return pump after every 30 min or 15 min for 60 seconds. And then turn back on. This is working as expected for past two days. No effect on tank temperature (ignore the first bumpy readings of bozeman temperature sensor, probe was out of water)
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.04.59 AM.png

I dont have ph monitoring for my pico tanks, so no idea if this impact pH. But corals look ok.,

This would be Good for a dc pump on a closed loop system . I Have thought about doing something with solenoids to divert water from one side of the tank to the other while having the dc pumps to kick off and on . Maybe ramp up and down... I have some lights on my Refugium High power led flood lights that are on wall timers. They are off in the day and on at night when the display lights are off...

Ohh I have also been running the 2.o beta.. so far so good .. but i found a typo (NOT Complaining .) I sure cant type or spell well..
The word USAGE is mispelled in the graphs. I have 3 temp probes and two ato float switches.. two different types. I am going to use 4 float switches 1 for ato... 1 for skimmer over flow bucket, 2 for Auto water change..Low water level , high water level...... Now water changes are done with turning ball valves to drain ball valve to refill from Mixing tanks... having to do 40 gallon water changes Buckets are OUT...

One thing that might help new non computer geeks (for lack of better word)
Maybe a cue card or pop up messages pointing to say .. you try to add a ato , the cue would say add a sensor in equipment input first.. But then again anyone using this at this time would prob have a understanding about proper order to add hardware ...

anyway

Thanks again...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be Good for a dc pump on a closed loop system . I Have thought about doing something with solenoids to divert water from one side of the tank to the other while having the dc pumps to kick off and on . Maybe ramp up and down... I have some lights on my Refugium High power led flood lights that are on wall timers. They are off in the day and on at night when the display lights are off...

Ohh I have also been running the 2.o beta.. so far so good .. but i found a typo (NOT Complaining .) I sure cant type or spell well..
The word USAGE is mispelled in the graphs. I have 3 temp probes and two ato float switches.. two different types. I am going to use 4 float switches 1 for ato... 1 for skimmer over flow bucket, 2 for Auto water change..Low water level , high water level...... Now water changes are done with turning ball valves to drain ball valve to refill from Mixing tanks... having to do 40 gallon water changes Buckets are OUT...

One thing that might help new non computer geeks (for lack of better word)
Maybe a cue card or pop up messages pointing to say .. you try to add a ato , the cue would say add a sensor in equipment input first.. But then again anyone using this at this time would prob have a understanding about proper order to add hardware ...

anyway

Thanks again...
Thank you for testing out 2.0 beta. I have patched ato chart usage spelling mistake. It will be out with 2.0 next release candidate. Let me know if you find any other typo or spelling mistake.

I agree that having a more intuitive, guided UI will help beginners. I am improving my UI skills as I develop reef-pi, so its more of a limitation from my skills/comptenecy on the UI side, coupled with priority/time availability. I tend to focus mostly on having the essntial features, and have the error free as much as possible, then provide bare minimal UI to interact with the features. Clearly this does not lead to the most intuitive UI for users. May be this is something I should focus after 2.0 release

SDchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice controller :)

What are you dosing to cause the sudden increase and then decrease? Is the pH below 7.0 ? It has a look of electrical interference.

Chris

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice controller :)

What are you dosing to cause the sudden increase and then decrease? Is the pH below 7.0 ? It has a look of electrical interference.

Chris
seachem two part. I dont think its electrical interference. I have a titanium grounding probe in place. I'll see if this happens again, next week

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticing the effect of two part dosing (manually) on pH .
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.36.25 PM.png
This looks like you should space your dosing out to a few times a week.. Dosing pump time.
I use Kent 2 part

Question .. Your ph probe and circuit.. did you get them both from atlas or other source , Is the atlas the only one that will work... ??

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like you should space your dosing out to a few times a week.. Dosing pump time.
I use Kent 2 part

Question .. Your ph probe and circuit.. did you get them both from atlas or other source , Is the atlas the only one that will work... ??
Yeah, thats exactly the next step. Instead of dosing one cap of each parts (5ml i guess) in 10 mins interval, i'll be slowly spacing it out with the in-progress doser build. I just wanted the ph monitor to be up first, to see how the whole dosing automation impacts (in term of ph). I might also switch to brightwell or esv b-ionic or something else that does not impact ph so much, but this will be only after i deploy the dosing bits.
I got the whole ph kit from atlas scientific (ezo circuit+ bnc connector+ ph probe + 3 calibration solution + 1 storage solution) for 180$. The software (reef-pi) only assumes a ezo i2c interface. I do not know if it (ezo) circuit will work with other probes. I personally definitiely test out couple of other, cheaper ph probes (i think they 'll work as well, as long as they are built for salt water aquarium and continuous monitoring). I definitely dont think everyone needs the whole set like me, i went with it to minimize risk of failure and to get as accurate as possible data. Since, I'll be using this as a control to check other probes, circuits etc

@theatrus has suggested hand rolling his own ph circuit (apparently this is not very complicated, according to him) using a PIC controller and few ancillary components. I have no idea about his time availability and priorities, but I can tell you that the reef-pi 1.0 board he had designed has all the things for ph, but not ezo based. I am very excited about this, as it will significantly bring down the price of the ph monitoring gears. If he does finish this work, I will do whatever it's required to support it in reef-pi code

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back