reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more pic.No clue what is that.i type 192.168.1.13 that is my Reef-pi address on my home network,and this come up.

Screenshot from 2018-06-24 18-26-56.png
Check if reef-pi is running

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all,something went wrong with the new 3 update.remove 5 times,reinstall 5 times and always the same problem,any help or just redirect to the right reading.Thank you

Screenshot from 2018-06-24 17-31-43.png
This is not a problem. Reef-pi is probably running already. When you did systemctl start , that will start reef-pi (if it’s not already running ). You can check the status using “systemctl status reef-pi.service” .
Your second command “reef-pi” tries to start reef-pi ( I suspect you didn’t intend this, and instead expected to see reef-pi status ), as normal user (pi) , which fails since it’s not privileged to bind to port 80(it requires elevated Linux privilege aka sudo) or because there’s reef-pi already running and listening to that port,

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Ranjib,i think i do something wrong.From my computer (ubuntu)system with ssh conect to reef pi.ask for password,and i can log in,then i do what you told me sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service,then i open my browser from my desktop,tipe in the web address 192.168.1.13 and only that tiny pink line come up.

Screenshot from 2018-06-24 19-12-05.png

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You can check the same in raspberry pi using
Code:
ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/
Each sensor should have a single 28-xxxxxxxx entry
Ok did I do something wrong on the wiring ?

Black is ground
Red is 3v
Yellow is data

Resistor is on the same line as 3v and data.

20180624_194138.jpeg
20180624_203658.jpeg
20180624_203714.jpeg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@usbatoc @sector9 I think I got the bug that you are experiencing. Everytime you refresh you browser, unless you visit the module specific tab (ph or ato or temperature), the chart corresponding to those modules will not show up. Its an UI bug, I'll fix it. For the time being, just click to those tabs and go back to the dashboard and things should be ok.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Black is ground
Red is 3v
Yellow is data

20180624_194138.jpeg
20180624_203658.jpeg
20180624_203714.jpeg
Looks correct to me. Touch the sensors carefully, if the wirinig is wrong or opposite they'll get hot (enough to burn your finger, so careful :-( ) . Also, reboot pi. To check any kernel specific issues you can use
Code:
dmesg
you can also use a multimeter to verify the voltage (3.3v)

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks correct to me. Touch the sensors carefully, if the wirinig is wrong or opposite they'll get hot (enough to burn your finger, so careful :-( ) . Also, reboot pi. To check any kernel specific issues you can use
Code:
dmesg
you can also use a multimeter to verify the voltage (3.3v)
Thank you I will give that a try tomorrow.

Could it be the ground? I used the ground above GPIO pin 4, all the diagrams I'm seeing use the one on the opposite side for some reason.

The probes weren't hot as far as I could tell, I'll check the connects on the pins too maybe that's the issue.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Black is ground
Red is 3v
Yellow is data

20180624_194138.jpeg
20180624_203658.jpeg
20180624_203714.jpeg

Black is ground
Red is 3v
Yellow is data

20180624_194138.jpeg
20180624_203658.jpeg
20180624_203714.jpeg

I am not sure it if matters but this is not exactly how i have mine... I have the Resister between the probe data and power ... Using that board with Connected rows is not forcing thru the resister but just adding it to the circuit.. ( I COULD BE WRONG )

They way mine is wired you would need to move the yellow data wire a row over . have resister go from red wire to that row then a jumper from there to the yellow data to sensors.. You have it so the data is bypassing the resister kinda like parallel not in line ...
What i mean is the probe data wire cant be on the same rail as the gpio data .. as the current can bypass the resister. Hope this does not sound stupid...

Again It may not matter but i think it does....

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure it if matters but this is not exactly how i have mine... I have the Resister between the probe data and power ... Using that board with Connected rows is not forcing thru the resister but just adding it to the circuit.. ( I COULD BE WRONG )

They way mine is wired you would need to move the yellow data wire a row over . have resister go from red wire to that row then a jumper from there to the yellow data to sensors.. You have it so the data is bypassing the resister kinda like parallel not in line ...
What i mean is the probe data wire cant be on the same rail as the gpio data .. as the current can bypass the resister. Hope this does not sound stupid...

I am not sure if I can detect the difference. In both cases they (ground, 3v and data ) are in individual rails , and the data rail is also connected to the 3v with a resistor

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if I can detect the difference. In both cases they (ground, 3v and data ) are in individual rails , and the data rail is also connected to the 3v with a resistor
Current is moving from the 3v to the data right ?

Might just be I have a bad connection somewhere or current is bypassing something.

jcmental

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting some crap together so that I can use the 2.0 beta 3
I bought a temp probe and have had a look at your diagram in the build guide.
Is that transistor the temp probe or am I missing something?
breadboard porbe.jpg

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
breadboard porbe.jpg

It's the temp probe.

Took me a while to figure that out.

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
breadboard porbe.jpg

That's what it looks like when not encapsulated in the waterproof housing we're use to seeing.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
breadboard porbe.jpg
It’s the temp probe, but in TO-92 package (same as common transistor) , not in the submersible package. My fritzing skill is not that good , and that’s the only ds18b20 it had when I created the schematic

jcmental

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one last question for today.
I notice a lot of the breakout boards use 5v and Ground fro the GPIO on the pi, I know I can power the pi using 5v straight to the GPIO pins but which pin numbers am I best to connect the 5v to run the pi. I'm thinking along the lines of using an adapted PC power supply and making some sort common of 5v and ground rail and 12v and ground rail.
Do you think this would be ok? I figured pin 2 and 6? to power the pi?
Also is this pin out still relevant now that pi 2.0 beta 3 is out?
pinout-1.0.png

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an accurate doc on how to hook up a 18B20 temp sensor? I have the sensor, and understand the VCC, GND, and the 4.7k pullup, but what pin on the Pi do I attach the data line to so that the 2.0 beta Reef-Pi software can find it? I'm not finding any options in the menus to specify an IO pin for a temp sensor.

Docs on the Reef-Pi web site are out of date for the beta software release.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one last question for today.
I notice a lot of the breakout boards use 5v and Ground fro the GPIO on the pi, I know I can power the pi using 5v straight to the GPIO pins but which pin numbers am I best to connect the 5v to run the pi. I'm thinking along the lines of using an adapted PC power supply and making some sort common of 5v and ground rail and 12v and ground rail.
Do you think this would be ok? I figured pin 2 and 6? to power the pi?
Also is this pin out still relevant now that pi 2.0 beta 3 is out?
pinout-1.0.png
It is mostly relvant (some are not). If you are powering pi via GPIO (I always do), always use pin number 2 (serial number, not GPIO number)
details: https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-do-i-power-my-raspberry-pi
Only my first generation build used things that are powered from Pi ,, all second and third generation builds (current ones) uses a single power rail for each individual voltages (5, 10, 12v) and common ground.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an accurate doc on how to hook up a 18B20 temp sensor? I have the sensor, and understand the VCC, GND, and the 4.7k pullup, but what pin on the Pi do I attach the data line to so that the 2.0 beta Reef-Pi software can find it? I'm not finding any options in the menus to specify an IO pin for a temp sensor.

Docs on the Reef-Pi web site are out of date for the beta software release.
Always use GPIO 4 (serial number 7, label: temp 1w) to connect the temp sensor data line. This is not a choice, hence not available from UI. If you dont connect them to GPIO4 , they wont be detected and you wont see them in temperature probe drop down menu.
The website (official docs) are for 1.0, and they have many things that are different in 2.0 (which is in beta), but this is (temperature sensor) is same. We''ll have updated docs right before 2.0 final release goes out. We are at least couple of months away from that. Theres still a lot of UI polishing needs to be done, and at least two big features.

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a picture of your wiring for this? Still trying to figure it out.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 71.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back