reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Power_t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new reef-pi user here. I have recently finished setting up the whole thing and ran into a bit of a problem with the temperature control module. It seems that the Cooler equipment turns on above the maximum threshold but only turns off below the minimum threshold. This does not happen for the Heater equipment which works as intended (turns on below the minimum threshold and turns off above the minimum threshold).

I have experienced this issue in both 2.0.0 betas. Tried out 1.5 after that but it wouldn't let me select a temperature sensor to set up the module. Currently using 1.4 which seems to be working fine in every aspect.

I looked through the last pages of the thread but couldn't find anything related. Is this a recognized issue? Is somebody else experiencing it?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new reef-pi user here. I have recently finished setting up the whole thing and ran into a bit of a problem with the temperature control module. It seems that the Cooler equipment turns on above the maximum threshold but only turns off below the minimum threshold. This does not happen for the Heater equipment which works as intended (turns on below the minimum threshold and turns off above the minimum threshold).

I have experienced this issue in both 2.0.0 betas. Tried out 1.5 after that but it wouldn't let me select a temperature sensor to set up the module. Currently using 1.4 which seems to be working fine in every aspect.

I looked through the last pages of the thread but couldn't find anything related. Is this a recognized issue? Is somebody else experiencing it?
New issue . It should not happen though, the code looks ok , I’ll run some tests tonight. Can you share details about your configuration?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All is working right on mine as well...

Power_t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New issue . It should not happen though, the code looks ok , I’ll run some tests tonight. Can you share details about your configuration?
Yes, I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B connected to a breaboard with an Adafruit T-Cobbler Plus, which is connected via jumper cables to a 4 channel relay module, the DS18B20 and a DFRobot FS-IR02 photoelectric water level sensor. Currently using the 4 channels for Heater, Cooler, ATO Pump and a timed refugium light. Can also take some pictures later if you wish.

Also I should note that the temperature graph did actually show the Cooler equipment as being off below the maximum threshold, even though the fans remained on until it reached the minimum threshold. Can't share since the graph is gone now though.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B connected to a breaboard with an Adafruit T-Cobbler Plus, which is connected via jumper cables to a 4 channel relay module, the DS18B20 and a DFRobot FS-IR02 photoelectric water level sensor. Currently using the 4 channels for Heater, Cooler, ATO Pump and a timed refugium light. Can also take some pictures later if you wish.

Also I should note that the temperature graph did actually show the Cooler equipment as being off below the maximum threshold, even though the fans remained on until it reached the minimum threshold. Can't share since the graph is gone now though.
is that Relay inverted . That would cause this . Relay off when it should be on and on when it should be off..
Check Equipment and relay for that device and see if the invert box is ticked.. The same for in settings Connectors...

If it is in fact inverted and the above does not apply check the relay itself. it should have NO AND NC Connection... Wire could be in wrong terminal position

Power_t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that Relay inverted . That would cause this . Relay off when it should be on and on when it should be off..
Check Equipment and relay for that device and see if the invert box is ticked.. The same for in settings Connectors...

If it is in fact inverted and the above does not apply check the relay itself. it should have NO AND NC Connection... Wire could be in wrong terminal position
Relay is inverted, and all of my Outlets have been added with the reverse option so the logic should be fine. As I've tested everything worked fine except for that little detail. Even the fans turned on when they should, however used the wrong threshold to turn off.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relay is inverted, and all of my Outlets have been added with the reverse option so the logic should be fine. As I've tested everything worked fine except for that little detail. Even the fans turned on when they should, however used the wrong threshold to turn off.

That is odd. My thinking is its in the database

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you share the details around what thersholds you are using? whats the timer interval for checks? etc. I'll try to reproduce it

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to reef2reef :) , you'll love it here

Power_t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share the details around what thersholds you are using? whats the timer interval for checks? etc. I'll try to reproduce it
Initially I was using 25.5ºC for minimum and 27 for maximum with 300 seconds interval, after I noticed the problem I switched to 26/27 and did some tests with 10, 60 and 120 seconds intervals. There was no change in behavior.

Also not sure if worth mentioning but before I even noticed the temperature problem I did some back and forth with reef-pi versions while trying to figure out what was wrong with the Telemetry (I now know it's a known issue). So I might reinstall all the software including Raspbian this weekend just to check if the issue is persistent even with a fresh installation.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Checked out closely the temp issue described above..

My observations... I have two temp probes and tried different temp settings at the same time and here is my results

If i set my Min temp to 72 and max temp to 80 Using Hot water and ICE WATER.....

When the min temp is reached (probe in cold water) It will turn the heater on.. But will NOT Turn it off until the temp reaches 80 deg (temp prob in hot water)

The other temp probe I set the temp to 74 and 77 The temp in that room of the house is 75 when the ac kicks off.. When temp reaches 77 it kicks cooling on but cooling will NOT Go off because the temp never reaches 74 until of the evening when it cools off outside. Reason i thought mine was doing fine... Did not test real time..

What i think we need ..
My Ink-bird controllers have 3 Setting

1 . set temp... (ideal Temperature) I have this at 76 Deg..
2. Max Temp Where cooling comes on
3. Min Temp .. Where heating comes on ..

What i think we need is a Temp differential Control meaning if set temp is 76 (desirable temp) Logic to say if temp falls below 74 turn on heat.Turn heat off if temp raises above 74.5. Logic that says if temp raises above 78 turn on cooling... If temp drops below 77.5 turn off fan...

Or Logic that says if temp drops more then x- deg above set temp turn on heat . if temp raises x-deg above set temp turn on cooling..

What i am trying to type is I think we are missing the Turn off part at a middle ground ( set temp ) temp.

In other words when heat comes on at 72 min set .. it does not go off until the temp reaches the 78 deg max....

This is from my observation and testing .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I was using 25.5ºC for minimum and 27 for maximum with 300 seconds interval, after I noticed the problem I switched to 26/27 and did some tests with 10, 60 and 120 seconds intervals. There was no change in behavior.

Also not sure if worth mentioning but before I even noticed the temperature problem I did some back and forth with reef-pi versions while trying to figure out what was wrong with the Telemetry (I now know it's a known issue). So I might reinstall all the software including Raspbian this weekend just to check if the issue is persistent even with a fresh installation.
Can you share the temperature control chart if possible.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having the same issue as Power_t

When the temp exceeds the maximum threshold, reef-pi starts the cool down routine (Setting GPIO Pin: 25 State: 0) which turns on my cooler and plots the time its been running in the tc chart.

When the temperture is lower than the maximum threshold, the cooler stays on unitll the temperature goes below the minimum threshold and reef-pi executes the warm up routine (Setting GPIO Pin: 25 State: 1, Setting GPIO Pin: 5 State: 0) During that time the tc chart cooler run time does not increase.

The heater doesn't run until the temperature exceeds the maximum threshold, it turns off when the temperature goes above the minimum as expected.

Relay is inverted with reverse option enable
Running 2.0.0-beta-2
Max threshold 77.7
Min threshold 77

Cool down routine
cool down routine.JPG

Warm up routine
warm up.JPG
dang... thats a bad bug :-( . I found it
Very very sorry folks.. this is a silly mistake. Fix on the way... https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/421/files#diff-23fbd66312797e16110cd18d64793c98R83

when temperature is within range reef-pi switch off both heater and cooler, the bug was switchOffAll logic switched off heater twice (by mistake) instead of switching off both heater and cooler

I'll cut a release tonight. I'll check if its present in 1.5, if so, I'll cut a release on 1.6 series as well

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.x series user should not be impacted. this is a bug that was introduced in 2.x beta.. I am thank you to all for finding this and reporting back before the final 2.0 release
thanks again

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang... thats a bad bug :-( . I found it
Very very sorry folks.. this is a silly mistake. Fix on the way... https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/421/files#diff-23fbd66312797e16110cd18d64793c98R83

when temperature is within range reef-pi switch off both heater and cooler, the bug was switchOffAll logic switched off heater twice (by mistake) instead of switching off both heater and cooler

I'll cut a release tonight. I'll check if its present in 1.5, if so, I'll cut a release on 1.6 series as well

No Reason to be sorry.. The reason i was not seeing is because i was never having temps to turn on fan when i was awake .. Due to temp in that room....

I am glad you found it and we are not loosing our minds.. Ohh wait what minds.. We all have fishies in glass boxes .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sector9 glad it worked out :)
I have cut a new beta release for reef-pi , 2.0-beta-3 , changes include:
- various critical bug fixes , like reverse option for inlets, switching off cooler when temperature is within range , data race issues in stats module etc
- major upgrades in ui tech stack, react 16, nodejs 8, introduction of redux. This should not change the ui look and feel, but make it more performance and allow easier improvements
- all front end code now covered by unit tests (88%). Go backend code test coverage is also increased (from 60 to 78%). Integration tests now cover timer and few other features
- sign in page is now mobile friendly . This is a community contributed code. We’ll iterate on this and make more and more reef-pi ui mobile friendly in coming days

Packages are available in usual location : https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.0.0-beta-3

Happy reefing

neohusky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I know the reef-pi lighting component is based purely in pwm control. Is there anyway that LED+ could be supported within reef Pi. A series
of scripts, cronjobs and lirc have been put together to get a raspberry pi to send ir commands throughout the day to the light’s receiver with our modification.

This solution can obviously be run parallel to reef-pi,but, having everything in a single interface would be nice.

I’m not sure how reef-pi could be expanded to make this generic and useful to a variety of other lights or uses. Some sort of scheduling system maybe that can shoot off a command. In this case lirc (ir command).

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I know the reef-pi lighting component is based purely in pwm control. Is there anyway that LED+ could be supported within reef Pi. A series
of scripts, cronjobs and lirc have been put together to get a raspberry pi to send ir commands throughout the day to the light’s receiver with our modification.

This solution can obviously be run parallel to reef-pi,but, having everything in a single interface would be nice.

I’m not sure how reef-pi could be expanded to make this generic and useful to a variety of other lights or uses. Some sort of scheduling system maybe that can shoot off a command. In this case lirc (ir command).
It is certainly possible to have some generic IR based integration support in reef-pi (using LIRC ), this is something I want to work, but not anytime soon, I am also not fixed on the possible use cases. I was more inclined to provide a IR remote for reef-pi, so that in case wifi is down (or not available), reef-pi can be controlled/configured using an IR remote. Using IR for controlling a light is definitely a good idea, but I really need some common ground around how this integration will work for any other devices. In particular, something related to reef tank (orbit marine ??). I do not have any issues with users using reef-pi for non reef tank use cases, but I have to think about integrating features that has virtually no benefits to reef tank/reef tank related equipment, as that will open a whole suite of features in future, which may bloat reef-pi, and become a burden for me to maintain.

Let me think about this, i.e. let me come up with a IR support first that can be customized by users, and see if that alone can help you control the LED..
Thank you for the feedback

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I broke it trying to do an upgrade to the Beta 3

I ended up uninstalling the old version, then installed the new one, I get this now...

ignore the host name, It's a Ras 3 b

upload_2018-6-24_11-10-59.png

I have these lines in the /boot/config file:

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=spi=on
dtparam=audio=on e
nable_uart=1
dtoverlay=w1-gpio

TIA

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back