reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem, lets start with a list of items that we want inside, and what connectors we want on the outside.
What size range are we looking for, and do we want all connections coming out on a single side or all over.
Good to know we have a 'professional' ;)
I started to work on a modular design, but now I start to get worried about water, especially salt water. As Ranjib stated earlier many people have different setups and it may be difficult to have an all in one solution. Nevertheless I will follow the progress :)

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this project. I went back to the beginning and was going to read all post. I made it to over 150 pages but I am impatient. I have Kessil AP700. They have a nice light controller built in. I have an ATO and temp controller that in have built and have been working over a year flawlessly. What I need is a pump controller. I have read on here that some people have got their pumps running with reefpi and a few mentions of a feed mode. But not much detail.

What I would like is to have my 2 DC powerheads and DC return pump controlled by reefpi. I normally run my return pump at 70% and my powerheads at 100% oscillating at 6 second intervals. Would this be accomplished by adding the board listed under lighting on the build page? I would also like a button I could push and shut off 1 outlet for 20 minutes, return pump for 15 minutes, and powerheads for 10 minutes. I would like to go with pi zero as i would prefer to control everything wirelessly.

Does this all seem to be possible with ReedPi?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My printer came today. Playing around with it now. So much to learn...

Screenshot_20180718-204239_Cloud Cam.jpg
What printer did you get, I am actually looking at cnc machines. I want a 4x8 ft one......But i will have to wait until the new Garage is built... In the Fall to spring

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What printer did you get, I am actually looking at cnc machines. I want a 4x8 ft one......But i will have to wait until the new Garage is built... In the Fall to spring

https://www.amazon.com/Anycubic-Upgraded-PRINTER-Heated-Screen/dp/B074NZPHJ5

I read a bunch of reviews and watched a ton of videos, this one seem to have pretty good ratings. We'll see.

I would love to have a CNC machine. That's next on my list, and a laser cutter, and a water cutter, dang, I need a bigger garage!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very relevant to 3d printed stuff, but for analogous features in project box, I prefer this:
- All connectors on the bottom, I mount builds straight on wall. Power jack on left, rest everything right side.
- For
I love this project. I went back to the beginning and was going to read all post. I made it to over 150 pages but I am impatient. I have Kessil AP700. They have a nice light controller built in. I have an ATO and temp controller that in have built and have been working over a year flawlessly. What I need is a pump controller. I have read on here that some people have got their pumps running with reefpi and a few mentions of a feed mode. But not much detail.

What I would like is to have my 2 DC powerheads and DC return pump controlled by reefpi. I normally run my return pump at 70% and my powerheads at 100% oscillating at 6 second intervals. Would this be accomplished by adding the board listed under lighting on the build page? I would also like a button I could push and shut off 1 outlet for 20 minutes, return pump for 15 minutes, and powerheads for 10 minutes. I would like to go with pi zero as i would prefer to control everything wirelessly.

Does this all seem to be possible with ReedPi?
led circuit won’t work for pumps, it’s for low current workload.
You’ll need l293d. Pi zero is fine ( just don’t run it in GUI mode ).
Macro / feed mode is not there yet, it’s something I’ll work next

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.amazon.com/Anycubic-Upgraded-PRINTER-Heated-Screen/dp/B074NZPHJ5

I read a bunch of reviews and watched a ton of videos, this one seem to have pretty good ratings. We'll see.

I would love to have a CNC machine. That's next on my list, and a laser cutter, and a water cutter, dang, I need a bigger garage!

FDM 3D printers are a type of CNC machine :p just not a CNC router.

Many printers also have x carriages that you can print out to mount a laser to your printer instead of the FDM hot end. Then you can easily switch between a laser and a printer. Can't turn it into a water cutter or a CNC router though haha

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still testing but strange issue issue or bad

OK
Working on Dosing pumps.
In Connectors . i assign 0,1,2,3 to Dosing pumps Pca9685 driver ..

Connect the pumps Wired Correctly.. (Done this before just shrinking circuit) I get Nothing on Pump 0, Pump 1,2,3 work as intended.

Move wiring from pin 0 to pump 1,2,3 .. THEY all run pump 0
So apparently pin 0 is not working..
I decide to check other pins.

Connectors . add pin 4,5,6,7 ...
Same thing.. NOTHING On pin 4 . but pin 5,6,7 work fine.
Connector 8,9,10,11 .. Pin 8 is dead ... but 9,10,11, all working .. Yes there seems to be a Pattern ??????

Now back to connectors .

add pin 12,13,14,15 .. !!! Internal Server Error !! At top of screen.
I try again .. adding pin 12 only in connector it works ...
then add 13,14 they add . Still more strange .

I try to add pin 15 on in connectors ... Internal server error..

Can someone Check to see if this is a STRANGE BUT (Very unlikely)
Or Confirm there is a issue with my pca9685 It was Connected when my Pi-3 Died a few weeks or so back...

Thanks for the Help... I am puzzled....

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still testing but strange issue issue or bad

OK
Working on Dosing pumps.
In Connectors . i assign 0,1,2,3 to Dosing pumps Pca9685 driver ..

Connect the pumps Wired Correctly.. (Done this before just shrinking circuit) I get Nothing on Pump 0, Pump 1,2,3 work as intended.

Move wiring from pin 0 to pump 1,2,3 .. THEY all run pump 0
So apparently pin 0 is not working..
I decide to check other pins.

Connectors . add pin 4,5,6,7 ...
Same thing.. NOTHING On pin 4 . but pin 5,6,7 work fine.
Connector 8,9,10,11 .. Pin 8 is dead ... but 9,10,11, all working .. Yes there seems to be a Pattern ??????

Now back to connectors .

add pin 12,13,14,15 .. !!! Internal Server Error !! At top of screen.
I try again .. adding pin 12 only in connector it works ...
then add 13,14 they add . Still more strange .

I try to add pin 15 on in connectors ... Internal server error..

Can someone Check to see if this is a STRANGE BUT (Very unlikely)
Or Confirm there is a issue with my pca9685 It was Connected when my Pi-3 Died a few weeks or so back...

Thanks for the Help... I am puzzled....
Dang! thats a bug: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/blob/master/controller/connectors/jack.go#L35
should be > 15 instead of >14. I'll fix it tonight. By mistake i have added the validation logic to check the pin number is equal or below 14, which is wrong, it should equal or below 15 (since pca9685 has 16 channel, 0 ->15).

I'll fix it tonight, and release a build later this weekend
thanks again for testing @Erica-Renee and sorry for the trouble

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well , the bug explains why 15 is throwing internal server error. rest should be fine. for the other pins thats not working (4, 0 etc) can you check if there is any error in the log ? or if the pins are generating any voltage at all ...
i'll run some tests tonight

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did the 10V thing ? Kessil expects 10V . I am looking forward to your results.I have recently added support for customizing pwm frequency. If you notice flickering, try adjust the pwm frequency from.

Yes, I did the 10 volt thing :) Using a LM2596 to power it. It's working!!! Not sure what you mean about the flicker and adjusting the pwm frequency???

I'm searching for a lighting profile now. I thought I saw your posted before, but it's escaping me right now.

Got my light today from @philshel Thanks buddy! Looks great!

upload_2018-7-19_19-33-16.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did the 10 volt thing :) Using a LM2596 to power it. It's working!!! Not sure what you mean about the flicker and adjusting the pwm frequency???

I'm searching for a lighting profile now. I thought I saw your posted before, but it's escaping me right now.

Light profile is just landed in master, its not released yet, wait till the weekend, then i'll cut a release.

On the flickering thing, what I meant was, I have seen sometime kessil will flicker at low pwm value (try setting the intensity below 13, and you should notice flickering), as welll as certain pwm frequency (like if you set the rpi pwm frequency to 1500). I shipped the pi pwm based builds with a known working frequency of 100Hz, which worked for me. If its working for you, then you are all set. Just cross check the lowest pwm you can do , and set that in the ui.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would think about lowering the light. Most info I've seen suggests them to be around 8" off the water surface.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! thats a bug: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/blob/master/controller/connectors/jack.go#L35
should be > 15 instead of >14. I'll fix it tonight. By mistake i have added the validation logic to check the pin number is equal or below 14, which is wrong, it should equal or below 15 (since pca9685 has 16 channel, 0 ->15).

I'll fix it tonight, and release a build later this weekend
thanks again for testing @Erica-Renee and sorry for the trouble

Nothing to be sorry about . I Got the other issue fixed . the pin 4, 8 and 12 ... It actually was a bent pin in my DB 9 Connector..

Thanks for confirming on the 15 pin... I am actually not using them all was just checking to see if its working..
Dosing pump system is working now... its pre wired for 8 pumps but i only have 4... 6 is what i think i need. with two spare .

Thanks again..

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to be sorry about . I Got the other issue fixed . the pin 4, 8 and 12 ... It actually was a bent pin in my DB 9 Connector..

Thanks for confirming on the 15 pin... I am actually not using them all was just checking to see if its working..
Dosing pump system is working now... its pre wired for 8 pumps but i only have 4... 6 is what i think i need. with two spare .

Thanks again..
those are 5v pumps ?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back