reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who want's to play with this enclosure. You will need the latest "Development Snapshot" of OpenSCAD from here http://www.openscad.org/downloads.html. You will need to mostly edit the code, the "customizer" really does not work with this as it's been modified to add the holes in the top and extra feet for multiple PCBs. File should be attached.

Thanks. let me play around with it. I downloaded OpenSCAD the other day. It's blowing my mind right now. I need to watch a few more Youtube vids on it :)

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :)

Awesome! I did consider modding that box to suit my purposes for a while but decided on making my own. As I said above I really like to try and draw my own models (even if they are complete copies of others designs) so I can keep improving my very novice CAD skills.

That and the basic box part of the design is quite simple, doing the component mounting feet and I/O ports is where the work is. The design where the front panel is removable could be handy though, as you add things to your Reef-Pi you just need to print out a new I/O port rather than print a whole new box.

Very keen to see what you come up with though :)

I am trying to learn F360 and it's not going all that well :), that's why I started with the box maker. Please continue with your design and share. As I mentioned several dozen posts ago, that's the one place this project is lacking in my opinion. A couple of us have printers, all we need are good designs. I for one would be willing to help print enclosures for those who need them.

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to learn F360 and it's not going all that well :), that's why I started with the box maker. Please continue with your design and share. As I mentioned several dozen posts ago, that's the one place this project is lacking in my opinion. A couple of us have printers, all we need are good designs. I for one would be willing to help print enclosures for those who need them.

I agree, having some enclosures and a printed board would be AWESOME!!!

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone needs some help on a 3D model, I am available. I have Fusion360 at home, and we should be able to file share. Or I have Inventor at work, and it can import most file types.
I can either help finish a model if you need help on it, or if you have a sketch and/or some measurements of what you are wanting, I can knock it out for you.

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone needs some help on a 3D model, I am available. I have Fusion360 at home, and we should be able to file share. Or I have Inventor at work, and it can import most file types.
I can either help finish a model if you need help on it, or if you have a sketch and/or some measurements of what you are wanting, I can knock it out for you.

CONGRATULATIONS you were just elected to be the official Reef-pi model developer. Let's get cracking on a case...

:D

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about port forwarding etc to access Reef-Pi, but decided to try Teamviewer. I must say it works very well.
I think the safest way to do this is with a Port forwarding software Such as NO-IP Dyn-dns and so on.. I have used no-ip quite a bit..

You set up a account
download there update utility
Configure the Account and ddns services with the website and the update app...

Its FREE

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow (hopefully in the morning)

I am going to set up a new Port Forwarding with no-ip and type up Step by Step instructions for those who have been asking.. This might be the best solution for remote access.
I do this with my Company management program that runs on a headless Server But i use a Commercial paid DDNS Service that has a Guarantee due to customer data storage requirements..

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHH ..

I Think i have a pi-zero Single board build ready to put into use.
it has
4 ATO Switches
--sump water top off
--Skimmer Shut off when collection container is full.
-- Saltwater mixing tank water level (will use to trigger alert when its to full and to low) Two Sensors.. Tested only in theory
4 temp probes.

Sump temp. Controlling heater, Cooling Outlets .
Room Temp... Will control a Shutter on the AC Vent in the sump room . (have installed this on a hvac t-state so should work )Will convert 24v to 3 as hvac is 24v electronics.
Mixed salt water temp.. Will control Heater in mixing tank.
RO/DI Water temp. Controlling Heater Relay 2 .

8 Channel relay
1 Return Pump.
2 Skimmer (Controlled by ato sensor)
3. Sump lighting ( just a on and off LED Flood lights)
4.Heater 1
5. Heater 2.
6 Cooling (Chiller Just in case) It hardly ever runs with new HVAC .
7. ATO PUMP.
8 . Room Lighting .
To add ..
Lighting for Turf scrubber , Dosing pump . Will be controlled thru servo board.

I will post pics of the Circuit board soon ...

Thanks Everyone..

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use on demand port forwarding. It’s simple , easiest , does not involve any extra software. But I also enable https and use a 32 char password at least . Our isp, xfinity has pretty straightforward portal (my xfinity ) that i use when I’m on vacation . I generally go to the portal, do https port forwarding , then access reef-pi ui directly using the gateway ip and forwarded port . When I’m done I remove the port forwarding
Easy . Secure , but requires your isp to provide the features

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some development update.
In 2.0 lighting module reef-pi is introducing a notion of profiles. Each channel in a light can be assigned a specific profile. Some example profiles are fixed (a fixed value always), auto (12 ticks, 2 hour apart, reef-pi 1.0 style day light cycle) and diurnal (mimic natural light cycle better with smooth ramp up /ramp down and longer peak intensity). Here are some screenshots

Lights tab
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 8.33.42 AM.png

Expanding a light will reveal the individiual channels
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 8.33.53 AM.png

Expanding individual channels will reveal its profile, min, max configuration details
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 8.34.21 AM.png

An example of diurnal cycle intensity plot (not present in chart yet, but you get the idea)
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 8.39.03 AM.png

I'll also add a custom profile in future, that will allow users to simulate arbitrary values at their preferred time interval

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will all my data be lost on a upgrade?
From which version ? 1.0 yeah, if you are running 2.0 beta releases, then data will not be lost, but you have to edit the lights to apply proper profiles after the upgrade.

I'll not recommend upgrading if you have a working 1.0 installation, and wait till 2.0 final release is out, I'll have guides including migration process chalked out by then.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful with port forwarding. It can lead to man in the middle attack. If you want remote access I suggest setting up a VPN. OpenVPN is pretty easy to setup.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CONGRATULATIONS you were just elected to be the official Reef-pi model developer. Let's get cracking on a case...

:D
Not a problem, lets start with a list of items that we want inside, and what connectors we want on the outside.
What size range are we looking for, and do we want all connections coming out on a single side or all over.

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing is your first layer, learn to level the bed and lay down a good first layer and everything else is pretty easy.

Haha figured that out right away. It made a mess, it wouldn't stick to the bed at all. I finally figured out I need to slow it down from 100% to 60%. Much gooder now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back