reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Cal_stir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is OK, reef-pi did what you expected it to do. Some of the error messages are confusing (like the 404 signal error is expected everytime you hit reload).
The last UI screenshot is reflecting reef-pi is running as expected (no error message, and the controller information at the bottom reflect right version, ip , time etc), but since its brand new, theres no data yet (usage or setup), hence no chart

I certainly think this is confusing, and a pain point, I'll make sure we address these two things before 2.0 public release:
- Don't show a confusing error message after reload, instead request user to refresh (or even better do automatic page reload after 3 seconds)
- Display help message next to password field, specifying current password is not shown, or left in blank due to security reasons. It's not a bug.

I use chrome ( version 68.0.3440.106 ) on macbook pro, and safari on my phone/tablet. I have tried firefox as well occasionally, to test reef-pi.
Ok, I will start building, temp probe and outlets first, I will try both 1.5 and 2.0.0 versions.
I'm thinking it must be a windows problem, I have windows 10.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will start building, temp probe and outlets first, I will try both 1.5 and 2.0.0 versions.
I'm thinking it must be a windows problem, I have windows 10.
Can be. But may be more complicated than that, i.e. it may be triggered by windows, but underneath a chrome or react (the framework reef-pi is using) or some other library code that is used in reef-pi UI. My doubts are due to those "createClass" error messages in chrome console. Those errors should not be there and not occur in other installations, which makes me think there might be some library which is using that codepath specifically under windows environment (which should not be the case, since they should always check the broswers, not the operating system),. If i get my hand on a windows system, i'll revisit this.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running Windows 10 With all the Latest updates , I Have tested this using chrome on windows, Android and android phone. Several different versions.. PHONE has android 8.1 my android tablet has android 7 ... It also works with EDGE And Firefox..

Maybe check your AV Software , Browser plugins ans Windows File sharing and FIREWALL Options...

As far as chrome passwords.. Once you get to many in the saved list they start getting mixed up.. Also with a dynamic ip address Chrome can get confused when its reassigned to other devices and try wrong password if your using saved passwords..

with all that RAMBLING . I Have to get back to work..

Thanks

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on 2.0 documentation stuff... heres an early preview of power module designs

Breadboard
Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 4.29.21 PM.png

Schematic

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 4.29.34 PM.png

PCB

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 4.30.04 PM.png

Off to the actual guide....

JonJonJonJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to run this on my pi 2 model b? I'm assuming I could, but would need to build from source. Is that correct?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to run this on my pi 2 model b? I'm assuming I could, but would need to build from source. Is that correct?
Welcome to reef2reef , you’ll love it here. We’ll love to know your build / tank

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pi came in. Went to update it and it stated lots of files read only. Could not edit the config file. I'm going to just reflash the entire sd and then start from scratch tomorrow

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pi came in. Went to update it and it stated lots of files read only. Could not edit the config file. I'm going to just reflash the entire sd and then start from scratch tomorrow
use sudo.
dont reflash your SD cards unless you know its the issue

JonJonJonJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pi3 packages will work on pi 2 as well, pi zero build can be used with pi B+
Perfect!

Welcome to reef2reef , you’ll love it here. We’ll love to know your build / tank
Thanks! It's an awesome community so far. I'll definitely be starting a build thread once my tank is more than an empty glass box.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. we are up and running. I went ahead and ran with the 2.0.0 alpha. I would like to change the password as m intention is to be able to access reef-pi from outside my network. when I went to change, the update button didnt seem to take and the password didnt save.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. we are up and running. I went ahead and ran with the 2.0.0 alpha. I would like to change the password as m intention is to be able to access reef-pi from outside my network. when I went to change, the update button didnt seem to take and the password didnt save.
The UI is bit confusing on this, your password is saved, its just not visible in the UI. reef-pi UI never shows current password. Once you have hit "update", reload reef-pi (Configuration->Admin) and refresh your browser, thats all,,. your password will be in effect

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Ill give that a shot then. default PW still works. - EDIT: input new PW and hit update. then to admin tab and reloaded. Then logged out. at login screen new PW worked.

of note, on the diagrams you recently posted showing the wiring of the power module, It appears you are powering the Pi via the GPIO 5v pins now. Am I reading this correctly? Now using a single 12v power suply connected to a voltage regulator bucked to 5v? also Using this same 12v source for the ULN2803 chip for the relays?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Ill give that a shot then. default PW still works. - EDIT: input new PW and hit update. then to admin tab and reloaded. Then logged out. at login screen new PW worked.

of note, on the diagrams you recently posted showing the wiring of the power module, It appears you are powering the Pi via the GPIO 5v pins now. Am I reading this correctly? Now using a single 12v power suply connected to a voltage regulator bucked to 5v? also Using this same 12v source for the ULN2803 chip for the relays?
you should be able to play with almost all the features without any extra electronics (lights, equipment, doser etc). This is a great time to get familiar with the reef-pi software itself, and test things with multimeter

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, somewhere I need to get my frustration leave.

Ordered components for the Reef-PI HAT and PWM from digikey and everything went ok until I was called by Austrian customs. I gave them all the required information (I didn't have the impression they knew what to ask), all parts got blocked at customs.

Called Digikey and they claimed "everything OK, delivery today as promissed". Now suddenly it's me who has to pay for return shipments, no refund, etc...

I have it all on mail, but this is disgusting ;Drowning

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, somewhere I need to get my frustration leave.

Ordered components for the Reef-PI HAT and PWM from digikey and everything went ok until I was called by Austrian customs. I gave them all the required information (I didn't have the impression they knew what to ask), all parts got blocked at customs.

Called Digikey and they claimed "everything OK, delivery today as promissed". Now suddenly it's me who has to pay for return shipments, no refund, etc...

I have it all on mail, but this is disgusting ;Drowning
Why it was blocked ?
Sad to hear this, do you get to buy the pre-made boards at least?

JonJonJonJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my Pi 2 Model B configured with latest version of Raspbian Stretch tonight and installed reef-pi using the latest 2.0.0-alpha-0 pi3.deb package. The service is failing to start.

journalctl -u reef-pi.service shows:
Code:
Aug 28 20:23:04 saltbox systemd[1]: Started raspberry pi based reef tank controller.
Aug 28 20:23:04 saltbox reef-pi[293]: 2018/08/28 20:23:04 ERROR: Failed to initialize i2c. Error: open /dev/i2c-1: no such file or directory
Aug 28 20:23:04 saltbox reef-pi[293]: 2018/08/28 20:23:04 ERROR: Failed to initialize controller. Error:open /dev/i2c-1: no such file or directory
Aug 28 20:23:05 saltbox systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 28 20:23:05 saltbox systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 28 20:23:05 saltbox systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

My /boot/config.txt shows that the i2c module should be loaded. Any ideas on how to proceed?

JonJonJonJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my Pi 2 Model B configured with latest version of Raspbian Stretch tonight and installed reef-pi using the latest 2.0.0-alpha-0 pi3.deb package. The service is failing to start.

journalctl -u reef-pi.service shows:
Code:
Aug 28 20:23:04 saltbox systemd[1]: Started raspberry pi based reef tank controller.
Aug 28 20:23:04 saltbox reef-pi[293]: 2018/08/28 20:23:04 ERROR: Failed to initialize i2c. Error: open /dev/i2c-1: no such file or directory
Aug 28 20:23:04 saltbox reef-pi[293]: 2018/08/28 20:23:04 ERROR: Failed to initialize controller. Error:open /dev/i2c-1: no such file or directory
Aug 28 20:23:05 saltbox systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 28 20:23:05 saltbox systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 28 20:23:05 saltbox systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

My /boot/config.txt shows that the i2c module should be loaded. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Disregard. I have reef-pi.service successfully running now!
On pi2, it's a different param in the /boot/config.txt file:
Code:
dtparam=i2c1=on

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back