reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern with the above would be with using sensors that are completely submerged for level control impacting salinity. If you clean them often it wouldn't be much of a worry, but I would be afraid I would forget to clean it and then it would pump my sump dry. I don't know about how reef-pi handles it, but I wouldn't be much concerned with using the ATO and TOP level sensor as the same. I would implement a backup in both cases though!

I was thinking of trying a setup where two peristaltic pumps run simultaneously. One is pumping new water into the return pump section, while the other removes water from the section just before the return pump. If you ran for 5 minutes or less that would almost eliminate crossover between water added and water removed unless you had very high turnover through the sump. One could do that multiple times a day. I thought getting peristaltics with steppers calibrated would be easier and more reliable than level sensors that sit completely submerged would be over the long run.

Or you could do a hybrid:
Turn off ATO system.
Pull water from sump with calibrated peristaltic pump if care how much water gets changed. Or another for a set period of time if you don't care that much and have room in the return pump chamber for a little bit of variation in the amount removed.
Run any kind of preferred pump to fill sump back up with makeup water.
Once the ATO hybrid sensor sees water, then switch back to ATO behavior.

Any of that make any sense at all?
Have you considered the dual shaft nema stepper motors for water changing?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the dual shaft nema stepper motors for water changing?
Yes. The only issue is relative volumes. It’s my preferred solution, but requires a calibration of salinity to compensate for any and all imbalance in volumes moved from/into the system. It’s easier to calibrate pump run time than the salinity of mixed makeup water, plus the additional compensation for the system as it changes.

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While testing my new Reef-PI_PWM board I'm running into some issues which I would like to share:

1) Don't know if it's written somewhere, but after enabling the PCA9685 in the configuration, I had to restart Reef-PI otherwise I get error 404 page not found (Maybe a note should be added on the configuration screen)

2) This is something I had before so therefor I'm watching closely while reinstalling:
I adding jacks 1 by 1 and then add a light 1 by 1 accordingly.
Adding jacks 0 to 8 went ok, but with number 9 it became strange:
upload_2018-12-6_10-16-52.png

The same happened in lights:
upload_2018-12-6_10-18-30.png

At the end it then looks like this:
upload_2018-12-6_10-32-6.png

The ports do work correctly according the numbers however, so it's not a failure but still strange because it starts at 9.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While testing my new Reef-PI_PWM board I'm running into some issues which I would like to share:

1) Don't know if it's written somewhere, but after enabling the PCA9685 in the configuration, I had to restart Reef-PI otherwise I get error 404 page not found (Maybe a note should be added on the configuration screen)

2) This is something I had before so therefor I'm watching closely while reinstalling:

The ports do work correctly according the numbers however, so it's not a failure but still strange because it starts at 9.
Ditto here, mine did the same.
Only thing I can think of as to why it moves starting on number 9, is if it is not using the 0 index for display. So since that is now the 10th pin it is ordering them by 10,11...,1,2,3,...

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice. I am currently running doser control off the native PWM pins on the RPI. It seems like a waste but I am getting ready to add a PCA9685 to add just two more PWM channels to control two light channels. Optimally It would be nice to just use the PCA9685 for the dosers and the lights but I am concerned about the frequency. I know that for my light channel to work it needs to be 1000 Hz which means if I use the PWM on the PCA9685 the motors have to also be at 1000Hz. I have not run the actual doser motors yet but the fan and LED I was using for testing acted really funny when I set it to 1000, I put them back to 100 and they where fine. Is it best to keep them separate? Or will a standard 12volt motor act differently and be fine at a 1000Hz PWM frequency?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) is as expected. Any changes under settings tab (including enable/disable pca9685) will require reef-pi to be restarted. This is by design
2) This seems like a UI issue. I'll try to reproduce it and push a fix.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice. I am currently running doser control off the native PWM pins on the RPI. It seems like a waste but I am getting ready to add a PCA9685 to add just two more PWM channels to control two light channels. Optimally It would be nice to just use the PCA9685 for the dosers and the lights but I am concerned about the frequency. I know that for my light channel to work it needs to be 1000 Hz which means if I use the PWM on the PCA9685 the motors have to also be at 1000Hz. I have not run the actual doser motors yet but the fan and LED I was using for testing acted really funny when I set it to 1000, I put them back to 100 and they where fine. Is it best to keep them separate? Or will a standard 12volt motor act differently and be fine at a 1000Hz PWM frequency?
Should be fine. I am more worried about the doser circuit causing voltage ripple in light circuit. Test it out and see what happens,

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) is as expected. Any changes under settings tab (including enable/disable pca9685) will require reef-pi to be restarted. This is by design
2) This seems like a UI issue. I'll try to reproduce it and push a fix.
never interned as complaint, just as my experience! Just hope that that my experience help others, just want to help

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never interned as complaint, just as my experience! Just hope that that my experience help others, just want to help
Oh I completely understand :) . Thank you for reporting these issues, you all help us getting better, squashing all the bugs. I dont feel bad or find any of this negative. You are right, this helps everyone. Definitely us, the devs :) .

btw, did you notice my post on the hat thread?

ReeferMadness88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ranjib, the new version looks great. The only issue I'm getting is the dashboard will only populate columns and rows for numbers greater then 1o. If I try to increase it from the box by clicking my arrow up it resets back to 1 immediately upon clicking update. It also wont let me remove the one to change it to say 2 and 2. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ranjib, the new version looks great. The only issue I'm getting is the dashboard will only populate columns and rows for numbers greater then 1o. If I try to increase it from the box by clicking my arrow up it resets back to 1 immediately upon clicking update. It also wont let me remove the one to change it to say 2 and 2. Any suggestions?
I am assuming you are using 2.0 release. Can you select all (Ctl+A) and type the number you want (Say 3) directly, on the relevant field. I'll make sure to address this in next release. Its a trick UI :-/

ReeferMadness88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked perfect! thanks a lot man. New UI and the macro section is a great addition. It renders so much nicer on mobile devices now. Appreciate your work and continued improvements!

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back