reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Just starting to look into making DIY controller and stumbled upon Reef-Pi and the community that follows. Before I get too deep into supplies and planning, I was hoping someone could give me a list of what capabilities the Reef-Pi can provide so far?

I would basically like to have the following functions myself if possible:
Water Temp Monitoring and Control
Outlet controls for pumps skimmer etc.
Salinity Monitoring
PH Monitoring
Convert my SB Reef Light to be controlled
Dosing pump control
Display to tablet wirelessly if possible or Attached screen
Notifications if anything out of the norm via email or text

Can these be done and are there any other cool functions that can be done?
Thanks and I look forward to the journey!

All of the above can be done with reef-pi except salinity monitoring. It can also do ATO. I believe that @Ranjib and company figured with an ATO system salinity monitoring wasn't really needed.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Just starting to look into making DIY controller and stumbled upon Reef-Pi and the community that follows. Before I get too deep into supplies and planning, I was hoping someone could give me a list of what capabilities the Reef-Pi can provide so far?

I would basically like to have the following functions myself if possible:
Water Temp Monitoring and Control
Outlet controls for pumps skimmer etc.
Salinity Monitoring
PH Monitoring
Convert my SB Reef Light to be controlled
Dosing pump control
Display to tablet wirelessly if possible or Attached screen
Notifications if anything out of the norm via email or text

Can these be done and are there any other cool functions that can be done?
Thanks and I look forward to the journey!
As @Diamond1 mentioned, most of these can be done except salinity monitoring. I intentionally punt on it, since its expensive, requires frequent calibration and I could not see a compelling reason to have it (compared to other features). If you are new to electronics, I would also recommend to start simple and aim for multiple controller instead of one thing that does all of it (to keep circuit complexity at minimum). The dosing pump control will be improving in coming days to include stepper motors and few other goodies. Salinity monitoring has been a constant ask for the community, and if I get extra time then I might shoot for it in our next release cycle.

USCGReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Diamond1 mentioned, most of these can be done except salinity monitoring. I intentionally punt on it, since its expensive, requires frequent calibration and I could not see a compelling reason to have it (compared to other features). If you are new to electronics, I would also recommend to start simple and aim for multiple controller instead of one thing that does all of it (to keep circuit complexity at minimum). The dosing pump control will be improving in coming days to include stepper motors and few other goodies. Salinity monitoring has been a constant ask for the community, and if I get extra time then I might shoot for it in our next release cycle.
I am pretty familiar with electronics and some programming however, have never messed with Raspberry Pi or Arduino type setups, if were to use multiple controllers can they all be linked together into a single dashboard or would it be a dashboard for each controller/function.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty familiar with electronics and some programming however, have never messed with Raspberry Pi or Arduino type setups, if were to use multiple controllers can they all be linked together into a single dashboard or would it be a dashboard for each controller/function.
that is exactly what we are working for next release :) . currently not, but soon..

USCGReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw a video already about SB Reef Light and converting, but can the SB Reef Light Timer version be converted to work with Reef-Pi and can it do more functions other than channel dimming, such as storm effect etc. Although I haven't seen documented evidence that those affects are truly beneficial to coral, it would still be cool to have :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw a video already about SB Reef Light and converting, but can the SB Reef Light Timer version be converted to work with Reef-Pi and can it do more functions other than channel dimming, such as storm effect etc. Although I haven't seen documented evidence that those affects are truly beneficial to coral, it would still be cool to have :)
I don't know the specifics about sb reef lights, I'll let someone with experience on them chime in. On the light module feature, reef-pi currently support manual dimming, auto mode (12 intensity profile with 2 hour intervals and linear interpolation in between them), diurnal mode. We'll be incorporating a notion of custom profile for variable DC equipment (such as light and wavemakers) in next release that will allow users to do storm or any other arbitrary simulation with lights.

With all that being said, I also want to call out that reef-pi UI is backed by API, which is very powerful and let you extend reef-pi in pretty much any manner that you want. Put other way you can write few lines of python to use jacks api (variable DC output) to achieve the storm effect .. right now.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely should be able to control that ballast.

I'm trying to figure out how to do it with current reef pi software and I'm not sure how to convert the light control in reef pi from pwm to 0-10v dc or if it's even possible.
I'm thinking I can do it with L293D chip that the dosing pumps use and declare the jacks in the light control tab.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out how to do it with current reef pi software and I'm not sure how to convert the light control in reef pi from pwm to 0-10v dc or if it's even possible.
I'm thinking I can do it with L293D chip that the dosing pumps use and declare the jacks in the light control tab.

Isnt that what @Ranjib does in his adafruit guide?
adafruit_products_Screen_Shot_2018-10-19_at_12.23.24_AM.png

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it best to keep them separate? Or will a standard 12volt motor act differently and be fine at a 1000Hz PWM frequency?

Should be fine. I am more worried about the doser circuit causing voltage ripple in light circuit. Test it out and see what happens,

There is definitely some interference, not sure if it's a "ripple" or what. I have the PCA9685 running a kessil and also going to a L298N Motor Drive driving a 12v doser pump. If I turn the pump on while the light is on there is some random brightness and color flickering. It's just a top off so it's not a big deal for me to just run it at night. Easier than diagnosing the problem. :)

Last edited:

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is definitely some interference, not sure if it's a "ripple" or what. I have the PCA9685 running a kessil and also going to a L298N Motor Drive driving a 12v doser pumps. If I turn the pump on while the light is on there is some random brightness and color flickering. It's just a top off so it's not a big deal for me to just run it at night. Easier than diagnosing the problem. :)

@sfgabe thanks for the input! I decided to keep things as is an run the dosers from the built in PWM and lights from the PCA9685. I will post back results once I get it all put together.

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been sending commands and getting data to/from reef-pi via the API (from/to Home Assistant) for about a month now and I have to say it works flawlessly @Ranjib. Fantastic job on that!

One question though - is there a way to disable the cookie expiration? It seems like I'm getting about two weeks before I have to update the auth code by logging in and capturing a new one manually. I'm not super worried about security since it's only LAN anyway.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is definitely some interference, not sure if it's a "ripple" or what. I have the PCA9685 running a kessil and also going to a L298N Motor Drive driving a 12v doser pump. If I turn the pump on while the light is on there is some random brightness and color flickering. It's just a top off so it's not a big deal for me to just run it at night. Easier than diagnosing the problem. :)

@sfgabe Reading through the specs of the PCA9685 board there is a spot on the board for a capacitor if you are running motors to help with power dips. The documentation gives a general formula for servos (number of servos * 100uf). I bought a PCA9685 on amazon that already has a capacitor on the board but I would have to look at the value. I wonder if its as simple as adding a cap to fix the flickering?

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfgabe Reading through the specs of the PCA9685 board there is a spot on the board for a capacitor if you are running motors to help with power dips. The documentation gives a general formula for servos (number of servos * 100uf). I bought a PCA9685 on amazon that already has a capacitor on the board but I would have to look at the value. I wonder if its as simple as adding a cap to fix the flickering?

I think I have that amazon one. It looks like the capacitor is 1000uf so theoretically that would cover it, but it still flickers. They are on separate power circuits too, so the only place they could be bumping into each other is through the PCA9685.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back