reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in my build thread but I am just going to post it here for more visibility.

I am testing out my 8 channel 5v relay boards.

First I tested with just the raspberry pi by connecting up the 5v, ground and an outlet GPIO and it worked as expected.

Next I tried with the pi-HAT but it is not activating the relay. The input of the ULN2803 is receiving 3.25v. The ULN2803 is outputting only 0.6v to the relay board.
I tried a different GPIO on the second ULN2803 on the pi-HAT with the exact same result.

The VCC light is on when I connect the relay board to the 5v and GND on the 10pin connector on the pi-HAT.

The ULN inputs have continuity with the GPIO outlets. The ULN outlets also have continuity with the 10pin connector.
The ULN's are also grounded on their number 9 pin and have 5v on their number 10 pin. Measuring the voltage on pin 9 and 10 gives 5v.

Can anyone help me figure out why the ULN2803 output is so low and not activating the relay?

You tested for continuity, but did you also test for shorts between pins. remove the chip and make sure no pin to pin traces are connected. Did you use sockets or chip direct to board?

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in the range of the dimmer input. e.g., is it 0-10V? 0-12V? 0-5V? etc. By measuring across the two fixed terminals in the potentiometer we know the full range of the dimmer input.

0-10V nominal.

There is a model of the Ranco that has an analog output for the temp reading (of course, I didn't get that one *facepalm*), but I'm guessing that it can be pulled from something on the PCB in the enclosure...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in my build thread but I am just going to post it here for more visibility.

First I tested with just the raspberry pi by connecting up the 5v, ground and an outlet GPIO and it worked as expected.

Next I tried with the pi-HAT but it is not activating the relay. The input of the ULN2803 is receiving 3.25v. The ULN2803 is outputting only 0.6v to the relay board.
I tried a different GPIO on the second ULN2803 on the pi-HAT with the exact same result.

The VCC light is on when I connect the relay board to the 5v and GND on the 10pin connector on the pi-HAT.

The ULN inputs have continuity with the GPIO outlets. The ULN outlets also have continuity with the 10pin connector.
The ULN's are also grounded on their number 9 pin and have 5v on their number 10 pin. Measuring the voltage on pin 9 and 10 gives 5v.

Can anyone help me figure out why the ULN2803 output is so low and not activating the relay?
How you are connecting the ULN2803 output to relays? Remember, ULN2803 is a sink type driver, i.e. individual output pins of ULN2803 will act as GND (not +ve) for relays. So, while testing with multimeter, you should put the +Ve probe on 12V and the -Ve probe in ULN2803a pins.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tested for continuity, but did you also test for shorts between pins. remove the chip and make sure no pin to pin traces are connected. Did you use sockets or chip direct to board?

Sometimes solder blobs can get under the socket, apologies for not knowing your solder skills or electronics
Thanks. I used a socket. I didn't test for shorts but I will do it tonight.

How you are connecting the ULN2803 output to relays? Remember, ULN2803 is a sink type driver, i.e. individual output pins of ULN2803 will act as GND (not +ve) for relays. So, while testing with multimeter, you should put the +Ve probe on 12V and the -Ve probe in ULN2803a pins.

The ULN output goes to the 10 pin connector on the pi-hat. So you have 1 5v, 1 ground and then 8 outlets.
I connected the 10pin connector 5v to the VCC on the relay board.
I connected the 10 pin ground to ground on the relay board.
I connected an outlet on the 10 pin to CH1 on the relay board.
When I have the outlet switched off in reef-pi the ULN output reads 0v and when I switch the outlet on the ULN output reads 0.6v. But I was putting the -ve probe to ground and the +ve on the ULN output.

20181205_120322.jpg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I used a socket. I didn't test for shorts but I will do it tonight.

The ULN output goes to the 10 pin connector on the pi-hat. So you have 1 5v, 1 ground and then 8 outlets.
I connected the 10pin connector 5v to the VCC on the relay board.
I connected the 10 pin ground to ground on the relay board.
I connected an outlet on the 10 pin to CH1 on the relay board.
When I have the outlet switched off in reef-pi the ULN output reads 0v and when I switch the outlet on the ULN output reads 0.6v. But I was putting the -ve probe to ground and the +ve on the ULN output.

20181205_120322.jpg

Might be a stupid question but do you have a 12volt power supply hooked up to the hat when your testing?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did the same thing. The output straight off the gpio pin is going to be 3.3 volts when on. But when you put the output through the ULN2803 the bias is reversed. The output is triggered to ground. To test with the volt meter put the ground probe on the 2803 output pin and the positive probe on the 12 volt rail. You should now see 12 volts when on. And nothing when off. Your relays will need to be set to low level trigger.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing. The output straight off the gpio pin is going to be 3.3 volts when on. But when you put the output through the ULN2803 the bias is reversed. The output is triggered to ground. To test with the volt meter put the ground probe on the 2803 output pin and the positive probe on the 12 volt rail. You should now see 12 volts when on. And nothing when off. Your relays will need to be set to low level trigger.
How to I set the relays to low level trigger?

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't have your relay board, but will try to help.

Yes all components on the picture look ok (direction) and yes, no 12V is required for the relay output.

First I tested with just the raspberry pi by connecting up the 5v, ground and an outlet GPIO and it worked as expected
This is good to know. In order to replicate, can you share which GPIO port you used? What were the values of the GPIO port switching ON/OFF?

In order for me to replicate (without relay board), can you share which pins (relay ports) you measured? Is the behavior the same with and without relay board? (Power consumption?)

If I understand correctly, wiring between GPIO/ULN/10 pin connector and power to the ULN chips are all ok. Just to be sure (don't measure voltage, measure ohm), is there a connection between pin 6 of the I2C interface on the Reef-PI_HAT and GND (pin 39 on GPIO)? This has been a failure in the initial design but should be ok on your board. [Edit]should be ok as you're measuring +5V on the ULN power pins[/Edit]

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back