reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thinking it was about 16$ and had theee wire. It showed the adoasored you were talking about, but didn’t look to see if it came with the lead or not.
I’m just starting so I’m sure you guys have already addressed.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thinking it was about 16$ and had theee wire. It showed the adoasored you were talking about, but didn’t look to see if it came with the lead or not.
I’m just starting so I’m sure you guys have already addressed.

sorry I meant to say “It showed the board you were talking about,..”

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't a DS18B20 one-wire sensor that we are normally using. Not how that would be supported with the reef-pi software.

Ok. I will be using the standard wire everyone has chosen..no worries. I’m just learning, so if I ask an annoying question, it’s because I’m really new to even the some of basics still.
At least I’ve managed to get thru the first few tests and have made a thread.
I’m also on a low budget so things move slower.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I will be using the standard wire everyone has chosen..no worries. I’m just learning, so if I ask an annoying question, it’s because I’m really new to even the some of basics still.
At least I’ve managed to get thru the first few tests and have made a thread.
I’m also on a low budget so things move slower.
I certainly hope that my response didn't come off as I was annoyed, tone does not convey across text. :)

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have read that some people are not liking the 3.5mm stereo plugs. I have always used switch craft plugs and they are fantastic. I actually have some on the way to replaced the temporary ones i have on my probes currently. I know they a bit expensive but you cannot go wrong with a quality plug.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/502-35HDNN
I think it was @Ranjib that sold me on the mini-XLR connectors.
I was originally using stereo connectors, but after getting these connectors in and using them, I am convinced.
All around a much better connector. I will be switching my TRRS over to a 4-pin version soon.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally using stereo connectors, but after getting these connectors in and using them, I am convinced.
All around a much better connector. I will be switching my TRRS over to a 4-pin version soon.

XLR is a great connector

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.. i have tried out at least a dozen of these connectors :) . I like the mini XLR most, it has relatively small form factor (smaller than mini din) and all the other goodness I was looking for (3 or 4 pin variants, GND/+ve pins do not short during plugging/unplugging etc).

I am tied up with the apartment move for next several days :-/

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.. i have tried out at least a dozen of these connectors :) . I like the mini XLR most, it has relatively small form factor (smaller than mini din) and all the other goodness I was looking for (3 or 4 pin variants, GND/+ve pins do not short during plugging/unplugging etc).

I am tied up with the apartment move for next several days :-/

WOW.

That has to be a Fun exciting,but frustrating all at the same time way to move.. But then again being Tied up you will not be required to do much lifting.

GOOD LUCK on your move moving always sucks.. We still have things in boxes from our move into this house 14 years ago... We are moving from here into a Jar to be poured into the Ocean...

Have fun

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW.

That has to be a Fun exciting,but frustrating all at the same time way to move.. But then again being Tied up you will not be required to do much lifting.

GOOD LUCK on your move moving always sucks.. We still have things in boxes from our move into this house 14 years ago... We are moving from here into a Jar to be poured into the Ocean...

Have fun
Thank you :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not started working with these (minidin, mini xlr etc) connectors yet. I think we'll be experimenting with these in the future more. I am working on the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) part of reef-pi that @theatrus just introduced. This will allow us adding new ph circuit, IO expanders etc. All of these things will allow adding more/extra hardware to reef-pi builds and that in turn will make these connectors more important.
I have micro usb and normal USB connectors as well. But I think I'll go with the mini XLR connectors in next builds, particularly for ATO. In all of my current builds I use the audio jacks , but gold plated female panel mount versions. They have been bulletproof for me, except that I can't hotplug the probes. I think for the beginner these are still a good choice. Cheap and easy to source.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys and Gals, I'm at the point where I'm finally filling my tank with water. Check it out, and please leave me some feedback. The link should be in my signature. Also, @theatrus, when do you think the rev D boards will be available?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys and Gals, I'm at the point where I'm finally filling my tank with water. Check it out, and please leave me some feedback. The link should be in my signature. Also, @theatrus, when do you think the rev D boards will be available?

Probably just after Christmas, maaaaybe sooner.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been reading this thread for a few days, and love the fantastic work on reef pi. Great job Ranjib!

I am a freshwater planted tank guy, but reef pi is just what I am looking for when I change over to a sump filter soon. I am planning a build once Santa comes!

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been reading this thread for a few days, and love the fantastic work on reef pi. Great job Ranjib!

I am a freshwater planted tank guy, but reef pi is just what I am looking for when I change over to a sump filter soon. I am planning a build once Santa comes!

Welcome to R2R! Have fun with the build and keep us posted.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for considering reef-pi, and a warm welcome to reef2reef

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for considering reef-pi, and a warm welcome to reef2reef
Thank you,
I plan on building in stages because as of now I have 3 big canisters on a 75 gallon tank, but will be changing to a 40 breeder sump soon.

I got started looking into controllers after having one heater fail off, and another failing on, but was home and caught it. For now I am using an stc1000 as a failsafe, but I want to be able to remotely monitor my tanks. I looked into esp8266 sonoffs flashed to tasmota but that leaves too many failure points. I prefer a one controller solution.

Then I found reef pi, modular, setup is customizable to my situation, able to vpn into my home network to monitor, able to set email alerts....so far it looks like the best solution short of a very expensive apex!

I plan on power and temp controller first, then a pwm control of my lights. It will be interesting because my led lights are circuited as common cathode so i will have to use the PCA9685 module to fire PNP mosfets to control them. After my sump goes in possibly pwm of the return pump and some water level monitoring because I cant drill the tank without a big teardown so reef pi can be an additional failsafe for a hob overflow(in addition to proper sump and tank calculations so that the setup CANT overflow onto the floor)

I will start a build thread when I start building!

I have experience as both an electrician and electronic technician so the build will be fun, but has anyone used the ML reefkeepers hat for reef pi...it has everything i need except the PNP mosfet switching prebuilt into one hat, and would be a timesaver and make a cleaner build?

2018-11-25T22_52_05.691Z-ml-reef-pi-hat.jpg

RPI Hat for reef-pi

Supports

• Back powering the rpi with 5v
  • 9 channels of PWM control via PCA9685 (split between 3 connectors)
  • 3 channels for 1 wire communication (up to 3 DS18B20 temperature probes)
  • 2 i2c ports for ph probe modules
  • 2 ATO sensors
  • 8 channel 12v relay control via ULN2803
  • 8 GPIO breakout (intended for 3.3v relay module)

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you,
I plan on building in stages because as of now I have 3 big canisters on a 75 gallon tank, but will be changing to a 40 breeder sump soon.

I got started looking into controllers after having one heater fail off, and another failing on, but was home and caught it. For now I am using an stc1000 as a failsafe, but I want to be able to remotely monitor my tanks. I looked into esp8266 sonoffs flashed to tasmota but that leaves too many failure points. I prefer a one controller solution.

Then I found reef pi, modular, setup is customizable to my situation, able to vpn into my home network to monitor, able to set email alerts....so far it looks like the best solution short of a very expensive apex!

I plan on power and temp controller first, then a pwm control of my lights. It will be interesting because my led lights are circuited as common cathode so i will have to use the PCA9685 module to fire PNP mosfets to control them. After my sump goes in possibly pwm of the return pump and some water level monitoring because I cant drill the tank without a big teardown so reef pi can be an additional failsafe for a hob overflow(in addition to proper sump and tank calculations so that the setup CANT overflow onto the floor)

I will start a build thread when I start building!

I have experience as both an electrician and electronic technician so the build will be fun, but has anyone used the ML reefkeepers hat for reef pi...it has everything i need except the PNP mosfet switching prebuilt into one hat, and would be a timesaver and make a cleaner build?

2018-11-25T22_52_05.691Z-ml-reef-pi-hat.jpg

RPI Hat for reef-pi

Supports

• Back powering the rpi with 5v
  • 9 channels of PWM control via PCA9685 (split between 3 connectors)
  • 3 channels for 1 wire communication (up to 3 DS18B20 temperature probes)
  • 2 i2c ports for ph probe modules
  • 2 ATO sensors
  • 8 channel 12v relay control via ULN2803
  • 8 GPIO breakout (intended for 3.3v relay module)

Um pictures of your tank please. I really like large freshwater planted tanks. Especially if they are discus in them.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a few tank pics, no discus, but how bout angels and tetras...and yes there are some glofish, have to keep the wife happy. Sorry the vals need trimmed, they are my nitrate removal system...i trim them back to tank height once a week and throw away a 2 gallon bucket of trimmings and spreading vals once every 2 weeks. I dont fertilize or do co2 instead using the fish to fertilize the plants in return for being able to overstock big time!

20181216_125723.jpg
20181216_125706.jpg
20181216_125705.jpg

Last edited:
Back