reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this timer set up wrong? I am having issues for long term timer operation. If I set a device to turn on at say 12:30 then turn off after 120 seconds I have no issues. But if I have something timed to turn on at 12 and off 8 hours later it never works after the 8 hour period. I checked voltage at the gpio pin and am getting 3.3 volts so it’s not the relay getting stuck it’s like the timer is not working
3ea35a2c17ebdfc9d0c40cac4b758100.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this timer set up wrong? I am having issues for long term timer operation. If I set a device to turn on at say 12:30 then turn off after 120 seconds I have no issues. But if I have something timed to turn on at 12 and off 8 hours later it never works after the 8 hour period. I checked voltage at the gpio pin and am getting 3.3 volts so it’s not the relay getting stuck it’s like the timer is not working
Minute should be 1 or a fixed value, not *, that implies every minute

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should also reload reef-pi after you fixed the timer, else it may have lot of undone go routines (threads that have been kicked off every minute since you have enabled this timer and waiting for 8 hours to finish)

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a turn off command instead? So, turn on and stay on, then another timer for turn off and stay off.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had an issue where my MH wouldn't turn off occasionally, I have to believe for me it had something to do with my relay pack and direct driving it at 3.3V once I swapped to using transistor drive theULN chip and 5v all my problems went away no issues for past 5 weeks.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue where my MH wouldn't turn off occasionally, I have to believe for me it had something to do with my relay pack and direct driving it at 3.3V once I swapped to using transistor drive theULN chip and 5v all my problems went away no issues for past 5 weeks.

could you give a link to what you used? peeees

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you should also reload reef-pi after you fixed the timer, else it may have lot of undone go routines (threads that have been kicked off every minute since you have enabled this timer and waiting for 8 hours to finish)

Thanks, I need to re read the Cron timer cheat sheet again. I have such a hard time wrapping my head around it.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a turn off command instead? So, turn on and stay on, then another timer for turn off and stay off.

I think I like this idea better lol. Much easier

I have the ULN chip for my main relays but have 2 more driven off transistors. I am sure I’m just doing the timer wrong

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I like this idea better lol. Much easier

I have the ULN chip for my main relays but have 2 more driven off transistors. I am sure I’m just doing the timer wrong
I've been running the whole time I've been set up, without the ULN's. Everything turns on and off as commanded. Building a new proto hat now with the ULN's but not quite finished.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys seen the Adafruit platinum PT1000 temp probe? Says it’s not accurate. What does everyone think? Not sure if it’s waterproof.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys seen the Adafruit platinum PT1000 temp probe? Says it’s not accurate. What does everyone think? Not sure if it’s waterproof.
That isn't a DS18B20 one-wire sensor that we are normally using. Not how that would be supported with the reef-pi software.

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LionHeart2017

@Diamond1 has a guide thru the first 2-6 pages of his thread. This is prob the most current and information available as we were discussing this at that time with him..

Good Luck
I found the post about the uln2803a
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/5281522
I'm still confused as it says the 5v relay power is not shared between relay and uln2803a but the picture shows a connected com pin to the 5v power source to the relay.
This confuses me

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't a DS18B20 one-wire sensor that we are normally using. Not how that would be supported with the reef-pi software.
yes. its a high precision temperature probe, and will require analog input reading code support in reef-pi. A form of this is coming to reef-pi, to support @Roberto_b 's ph board and @theatrus 's base board. We'll see if we need higher precision probe. Meanwhile, calibration will also be available soon, (probably 2.2) , I am curious to see the impact of it. I dont know if we really need high precision temperature probes.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. its a high precision temperature probe, and will require analog input reading code support in reef-pi. A form of this is coming to reef-pi, to support @Roberto_b 's ph board and @theatrus 's base board. We'll see if we need higher precision probe. Meanwhile, calibration will also be available soon, (probably 2.2) , I am curious to see the impact of it. I dont know if we really need high precision temperature probes.
IMO, we work within such a narrow temp, just a few degrees normally, that a calibration of a stable and reliable sensor would be sufficient. I'm very happy with the ones I initially purchased, three of the five are within 1/2 a degree of my analog thermometer and Fluke temp probe. Close enough. :D

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PT100/1000 probes are generally the most stable of all probes, however platinum RTDs are only accurate when used with the needed 3 or 4 wire bridge connections to cancel out wire resistance. It does need a dedicated type of analog output.

Most commercial reef controllers use a 10k NTC thermistor, the cheapest and crappiest option, though you can get “gold plated” ones and calibrate them out.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the whole time I've been set up, without the ULN's. Everything turns on and off as commanded. Building a new proto hat now with the ULN's but not quite finished.

That is awesome that it has worked, I was chasing it around for a awhile here at my place, I think some dirty power came into play that shifted ground potential voltage, but fixed it with the upgrade in my case

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back