reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

ScottF83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's small fry compared to the knowledge you guys have, but I just wanted to express my initial gratitude at such a great guide, the helpfulness of the users of this thread and the wider opensource community

From a total beginner/noob, this week I've managed to install and use a Linux distribution, run commands, install the required software, buy all the correct parts for the project and was able to deduce the +ve and -ve pins of a female barrel jack and reduce the voltage on a stepper!

Next week, I'll be attempting soldering for the first time to attach the HAT and start on the wiring required for my automated feeding doser.

:)

Thanks again!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's small fry compared to the knowledge you guys have, but I just wanted to express my initial gratitude at such a great guide, the helpfulness of the users of this thread and the wider opensource community

From a total beginner/noob, this week I've managed to install and use a Linux distribution, run commands, install the required software, buy all the correct parts for the project and was able to deduce the +ve and -ve pins of a female barrel jack and reduce the voltage on a stepper!

Next week, I'll be attempting soldering for the first time to attach the HAT and start on the wiring required for my automated feeding doser.

Thanks again!

Dude! That's a great start! And the reef pi community here is second to none!

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks again!
You should start your own build thread. At minimum it will be easier to get answers to problems there. Things get lost in this thread.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start your own build thread. At minimum it will be easier to get answers to problems there. Things get lost in this thread.

Oh, believe me, when I build my reef pi, I will be doing my own build thread. It's highly recommended by @Ranjib and others. Plus, I believe you can get the fancy shmancy "Build Thread Contributor" badge on your profile. Although, I'm not certain on it.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks again!
thank you for the kind words. learning is fun :)

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do a reef-pi build, start a thread in the diy section. A build thread documents your progress and gives you a place to show your work and have questions answered.
Yes I do want to do that. I would really like to get some answered questions from those more educated in marine life than me. Plus I think it would be nice to document this from the ground up sounds fun and informative.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do want to do that. I would really like to get some answered questions from those more educated in marine life than me. Plus I think it would be nice to document this from the ground up sounds fun and informative.

Go to the main "Forums" page.
Screenshot_20190111-103209_Chrome.jpg

Scroll down to "Do It Yourself DIY" and click on it.
Screenshot_20190111-103154_Chrome.jpg

Click on "Post New Thread" on upper right...
Screenshot_20190111-102951_Chrome.jpg

And BOOM! You're making your own build thread!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread contributor badge is awarded to members who start their tank build thread in the aquarium journal section. I love them :) . They are the signature threads in r2r and nanoreef . They embody a reefers personal journey , tanknshots etc. most of the learning are from these. I follow at least two dozens of those :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread contributor badge is awarded to members who start their tank build thread in the aquarium journal section. I love them :) . They are the signature threads in r2r and nanoreef . They embody a reefers personal journey , tanknshots etc. most of the learning are from these. I follow at least two dozens of those :)

Ahhhh... I was not sure. Thanks for clearing that up!

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I hooked up my two temperature probes and nothing, they're wired correctly, I feel the following command didn't get installed properly..

dtparam=i2c_arm=on dtparam=spi=on dtparam=audio=on enable_uart=1 dtoverlay=w1-gpi

Should I start again with the install or can I implement again from the console, any ideas @Ranjib ?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then we need a Reef-pi badge instead ;)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I hooked up my two temperature probes and nothing, they're wired correctly, I feel the following command didn't get installed properly..

dtparam=i2c_arm=on dtparam=spi=on dtparam=audio=on enable_uart=1 dtoverlay=w1-gpi

Should I start again with the install or can I implement again from the console, any ideas @Ranjib ?

Did you follow the guide on adafruit to setup the software https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-installation-and-configuration/raspberry-pi-configuration

There is a paragraph that details some settings that need to be enabled for the 1wire protocol from the console, here is the applicable section:

reef-pi uses a DS18B20 temperature sensor, which requires the one wire protocol to be enabled in the Linux kernel. reef-pi also uses I2C communications protocol for some features. We'll use the raspi-config tool from terminal for enabling both one wire and I2C.​

Verify that you have enabled those in the raspi-config tool and then it should work if wired to the proper pin and have the wires going to the proper place. Let us know what you find...

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you follow the guide on adafruit to setup the software https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-installation-and-configuration/raspberry-pi-configuration

There is a paragraph that details some settings that need to be enabled for the 1wire protocol from the console, here is the applicable section:

reef-pi uses a DS18B20 temperature sensor, which requires the one wire protocol to be enabled in the Linux kernel. reef-pi also uses I2C communications protocol for some features. We'll use the raspi-config tool from terminal for enabling both one wire and I2C.​

Verify that you have enabled those in the raspi-config tool and then it should work if wired to the proper pin and have the wires going to the proper place. Let us know what you find...
Also try wiring only one probe at a time, get one working first...what colors are the probe wires, the wire colors can be a crapshoot.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will go through that again to make sure.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also try wiring only one probe at a time, get one working first...what colors are the probe wires, the wire colors can be a crapshoot.

These were prewired and working on an Arduino based controller, hardware wise should be no problem, connected to the correct pins also, I did also check the continuity. I feel it maybe a software issue, I can reinstall again incase something didn't get installed properly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back