reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were prewired and working on an Arduino based controller, hardware wise should be no problem, connected to the correct pins also, I did also check the continuity. I feel it maybe a software issue, I can reinstall again incase something didn't get installed properly.

I would just look at the software, shouldn't have to re-install, just verify that the settings are enabled in raspi-config etc, just go back through the settings on that page that I listed above, if they are wired to the proper pin via the resistor I did three probes and they all are working. Let us know what you find out or if you have additional questions.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's small fry compared to the knowledge you guys have, but I just wanted to express my initial gratitude at such a great guide, the helpfulness of the users of this thread and the wider opensource community

From a total beginner/noob, this week I've managed to install and use a Linux distribution, run commands, install the required software, buy all the correct parts for the project and was able to deduce the +ve and -ve pins of a female barrel jack and reduce the voltage on a stepper!

Next week, I'll be attempting soldering for the first time to attach the HAT and start on the wiring required for my automated feeding doser.

:)

Thanks again!

Some suggestions get an additional proto board to practice on, something that is cheap and one you don't mind making mistakes. I'm still practicing and it takes practice to get better, also depends on your iron, tip, solder type etc. It's definitely a skill and something the more you do it the better you will get.

:)

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm being lazy and just asking..

I'm setting up a frag tank and have some left over leds I built that need a 0-10v PWM signal for intensity.

I also have a RPi laying around (I need to out the D-bot back together). Can I make these tow work together without much extra?

If not, I'll just chain the frag tank light to the display tank kessils for control. Or order a board and build the old Typhon controller.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm being lazy and just asking..

I'm setting up a frag tank and have some left over leds I built that need a 0-10v PWM signal for intensity.

I also have a RPi laying around (I need to out the D-bot back together). Can I make these tow work together without much extra?

If not, I'll just chain the frag tank light to the display tank kessils for control. Or order a board and build the old Typhon controller.
You should be able to use all of it.
How many channels and how much current the control signal needs to support ? . You’ll need couple of extra things...voltage regulators

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone gotten the optical sensor working with their pico board? If so, could you send me a picture or diagram of how you did it?
I have not. That’s the only thing I have not tested yet , on the pico baseboard (rev c)

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. That’s the only thing I have not tested yet , on the pico baseboard (rev c)
I've cut mine apart, so I'll need a new one, but I can still do some testing with it, so I'd like to know how to wire it before I order a new one.

Mendeln

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then we need a Reef-pi badge instead ;)
+1 for the ReefPi badge !!

two little things that came to my mind while reading the first guide (again ^^) https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-installation-and-configuration/raspberry-pi-configuration

#update-hostname-3-10
biocub29 should be biocube29

#reboot-and-install-reef-pi-3-10
is it possible to change the link for the download to something like this https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/stable/latest ??
than the newbies have the latest stable release and dont have to worry about the right version

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

two little things that came to my mind while reading the first guide (again ^^) https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-installation-and-configuration/raspberry-pi-configuration

#update-hostname-3-10

is it possible to change the link for the download to something like this https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/stable/latest ??
than the newbies have the latest stable release and dont have to worry about the right version
Thank you for the feedback. I have fixed the spelling mistake in the guide.
I have intentionally avoided to not use latest release as the download link, as latest release can be anything depending upon the time. and may not be same as the guide. As in, if 3.0 is out and the guides are not updated, then they;'ll create a lot of problem for users, since the screenshots and everything is related to 2.0. As and when I release new versions, if I do updated the guide, those links will be updated as well , explicitly , and that will allow me to also update any screenshot or configuration changes thats relevant to the new version.
I'll keep this in mind, and would love to know others opinion.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

EtienneCassar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way how to use i2c temperature sensor instead of the dsb1802? I'm referring to ezo temperature module by Atlas.
Thanks

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

#update-hostname-3-10

A reef-pi badge would be pretty sweet!

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to reinstal Raspbian and reef-pi 2.1, still not reading the temperature sensors, I have the sensors connected to around 8 ft of cat6 cable and an RJ45 socket and plug, I removed the cat6 wire and connected the sensors to the pi and it works!

Capture.PNG

So is cat6 cable not suitable for this type of project? If I recall correcty I think I had the same issue with the Arduino. Can I still use the cat6 if I use shorter lengths and where needed solder multi strand wire to the cat6?

Anyone care to comment?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to reinstal Raspbian and reef-pi 2.1, still not reading the temperature sensors, I have the sensors connected to around 8 ft of cat6 cable and an RJ45 socket and plug, I removed the cat6 wire and connected the sensors to the pi and it works!

Capture.PNG

So is cat6 cable not suitable for this type of project? If I recall correcty I think I had the same issue with the Arduino. Can I still use the cat6 if I use shorter lengths and where needed solder multi strand wire to the cat6?

Anyone care to comment?
I dont know why the Cat 6 shouldnt work. Its meant for faster signals than the dallas one wire protocol. But from reading the ds18b20 datasheet, you may have to play with the resistor value some. The 4.7k resistor pulls the data line high when nothing communicates. On very short wire lengths 10k works. On long wire lengths 2.2k may be needed to overcome resistance and capacitance and pull the line up quick enough.
My sensor cables and are all 3 meters long and I have 3 sensors working with the 4.7k. I used ethernet connectors for jacks and everything works.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know why the Cat 6 shouldnt work. Its meant for faster signals than the dallas one wire protocol. But from reading the ds18b20 datasheet, you may have to play with the resistor value some. The 4.7k resistor pulls the data line high when nothing communicates. On very short wire lengths 10k works. On long wire lengths 2.2k may be needed to overcome resistance and capacitance and pull the line up quick enough.
My sensor cables and are all 3 meters long and I have 3 sensors working with the 4.7k. I used ethernet connectors for jacks and everything works.

Thanks, i'll pick up some lower value resistors on Monday and try again. The RJ45 connectors are quite conveniet and cheap in comparison to anything else, good quality DB connectors are expensive here, basic ones are cheap and just not nice at all.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One quickie regarding the doser part, can I add more than 2? and what would be the jack number or is it related to which GPIO I choose? @Ranjib

Last edited:

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i'll pick up some lower value resistors on Monday and try again. The RJ45 connectors are quite conveniet and cheap in comparison to anything else, good quality DB connectors are expensive here, basic ones are cheap and just not nice at all.
Try again with just one sensor and double check that your jacks amd keystones are made up properly.

I use ethernet jacks for the same reason, I already have the tools, and no issues with shorting out the pi when hot plugging them like can happen with the audio jacks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back