reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a cheap 18 channel spectrum:

https://ams.com/as7265x#tab/description

Its much cheaper than the micro-hamamatsu spectrometer. Its only 20nm FWHM at 18 points, but still pretty neat.

Someone sells a pre-tested board on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/products/onehorse/compact-as7265x-spectrometer/
This could be turned into a much more useful PAR meter...but at $50 vs $9.50 depends on what your needs are.

Like I tell alot of people, you can do anything, if you have enough time and money!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be turned into a much more useful PAR meter...but at $50 vs $9.50 depends on what your needs are.

Like I tell alot of people, you can do anything, if you have enough time and money!
Even at $50 for the board, if that could be used as a PAR meter with reef-pi, that blows a cheapo par meter out of the water price wise.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you’re just looking for light reduction on T5s, the cheaper option will totally suffice :)

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re just looking for light reduction on T5s, the cheaper option will totally suffice :)
Or I could get sophisticated and match the par readings from the amazon and have reef pi turn the light up and down in intensity...hehe...

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even at $50 for the board, if that could be used as a PAR meter with reef-pi, that blows a cheapo par meter out of the water price wise.
And it gives spectrum, which is super expensive to get otherwise. I wish I could help reef-pi development process somehow, alas I have no coding skills or knowledge. I have no idea if it would help, but I would be willing to donate money to a fund that Ranjib could use to contract programming help.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it gives spectrum, which is super expensive to get otherwise. I wish I could help reef-pi development process somehow, alas I have no coding skills or knowledge. I have no idea if it would help, but I would be willing to donate money to a fund that Ranjib could use to contract programming .
This would probably take some work to make usable. Looks like it has a LED and reads the reflected light off of things, did u read the tindie? It was developed to be some kind of Tricorder...Beam Me Up Scotty!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would probably take some work to make usable. Looks like it has a LED and reads the reflected light off of things, did u read the tindie? It was developed to be some kind of Tricorder...Beam Me Up Scotty!

The LED driver is for doing fluorescence measurements (if I hit this with light X, does it return Y) for authentication tools. But its still a light sensor, no need to use the LED driver portion.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LED driver is for doing fluorescence measurements (if I hit this with light X, does it return Y) for authentication tools. But its still a light sensor, no need to use the LED driver portion.
I know it can be used that way, was just being funny...I got a chuckle when I saw Tricorder.

I looked at the spectral response, looks like with some tuning you could get a useable spectrum and par measurement.
It would take alot of testing with different light sources, vs a good par meter to get it dialed in for aquarium use. The spectral response graph at .5 normalized actually doesnt have any glaring holes from 390nm all the way to 640nm or so, and no weird response curves to compensate for, unlike alot of the "poor mans PAR meter" projects out there.

Would be fun to get one to mess about with...see if its usable, then worry about how to encapsulate and waterproof it so gravel level measurements could be taken.

So many potential projects so little time...

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it can be used that way, was just being funny...I got a chuckle when I saw Tricorder.

I looked at the spectral response, looks like with some tuning you could get a useable spectrum and par measurement.
It would take alot of testing with different light sources, vs a good par meter to get it dialed in for aquarium use. The spectral response graph at .5 normalized actually doesnt have any glaring holes from 390nm all the way to 640nm or so, and no weird response curves to compensate for, unlike alot of the "poor mans PAR meter" projects out there.

Would be fun to get one to mess about with...see if its usable, then worry about how to encapsulate and waterproof it so gravel level measurements could be taken.

So many potential projects so little time...

I was tempted to toss it in a box like this: https://www.polycase.com/ml-22f-1508

I also have a handful of https://www.hamamatsu.com/us/en/pro...spectrum-sensor/micro-spectrometer/index.html, but the pricing for a finished sensor is about 4x the raw AMS sensor solution. But, yeah, backburner project :)

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was tempted to toss it in a box like this: https://www.polycase.com/ml-22f-1508

I also have a handful of https://www.hamamatsu.com/us/en/pro...spectrum-sensor/micro-spectrometer/index.html, but the pricing for a finished sensor is about 4x the raw AMS sensor solution. But, yeah, backburner project :)

Yes because at some point, the woman is going to be hollering..."they are just fish", even though whenever one croaks, she tears up and is the first one wanting to get new ones, lol!!!

My current spectrometer is a jungle of Vallisneria grass that has gone wild...it was trim it once every two weeks now its lop it off at 3/4 tank height every week. The good news is my nitrates are nil, until the day I do the chopping, then they climb to 10ppm for a day. I think it likes the spectrum and par.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
Be prepared for newbies, I am going to start posting about reef pi and my build over on the planted tank forum.
Your project is so good, its not fair for you saltwater guys to hoard it to yourselves!
Once I get my ph board, tested and shown as fairly accurate and show them how that works...the guys doing CO2 will all be nuts to build one.
I searched the board and not one post about reef pi!

I did an introductory post here, hope I didnt let a djinni out of the bottle!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/#/topics/1285913

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
Be prepared for newbies, I am going to start posting about reef pi and my build over on the planted tank forum.
Your project is so good, its not fair for you saltwater guys to hoard it to yourselves!
Once I get my ph board, tested and shown as fairly accurate and show them how that works...the guys doing CO2 will all be nuts to build one.
I searched the board and not one post about reef pi!
I looked at plantedtank.net too, if that's the site you're referring. I was going to start pointing folks in this direction as I haven't built my reef pi yet. Plus, like you, believe there's definitely a place for FW. Although, a mod might throw a hissy fit! Lol

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at plantedtank.net too, if that's the site you're referring. I was going to start pointing folks in this direction as I haven't built my reef pi yet. Plus, like you, believe there's definitely a place for FW. Although, a mod might throw a hissy fit! Lol
I do throw a teaspoon of salt in the tank(with magnesium and potassium and other ferts) every once in a while...does that count?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how well they work
I already have 2...theres a thread on it...the ones i got(and have 2 more coming) are industrial quality...double crimped and even have high temp shielded conductors that were 24 awg not the skimpy 26 or 28 awg and horrible waterproofing on the 5 for 10 dollar ones floating around everywhere on amazon. These are $12 for 2 sensors and cables are 3 meters. The 2 I already have are within .1F of a NTC 10k thermistor that was calibrated. Im not saltwater, but the stainless probe is real stainless.
20190103_004315.jpg

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back