reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is their any news on the PWM frequency issues?
@theatrus and Mealnie both submitted a patch to fix this for pi and pca9685 resepectively, its waiting on me to test them on actual hardware. Likely in next two days you'll get an answer from me

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timer question for skimmer, I would like it to run 24 on and 24 off.
In the timer set up, you should be able to set it to: Day of the Month = */2 and change back after 86400 seconds.
upload_2019-2-9_14-16-3.png

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The *\2 works but I had a ton of issues with getting the timer to disable using this method. I had it set up like this in the hour field to turn on every other hour and it worked but the timer would not disable. In the end I had to put the hours in manually so I could disable the timer for macros.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the timer set up, you should be able to set it to: Day of the Month = */2 and change back after 86400 seconds.
upload_2019-2-9_14-16-3.png
One thing call out from safety/reliability perspective is if pi had a hard shtdown then the automatic turn off after the given period will not work. As after power comes up the original timer will not kick off (since its due time is passed) and hence no revert action. So, if the revert duration is a very long (say in multiple hours) then it may be safer to just create a separate timer for turning off the equipment.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib MAJOR ISSUE today. as you know I had issues with my system alerting last week on the ATO. I have been traveling all week away from home and now that i am home, something was amis. my Clam did not look good. Plus one of the BTA walked around. I went to move a frag away from it and thought WOW, that water is COLD> I went to check Reef-pi and could not login. I put my cooking thermometer in the tank and it read 68°! HOLY MOLY! This is not good. I could not access reef-pi so I power cycled it. as soon as it came up, it started blowing up my phone with ATO alerts and also the LOW temperature alerts. I checked and I am about 4 gallons low. This means the system has not been working properly for at least 4 days. I dont know where to go to diagnose this. It appears to be operational at this moment as I can access and heater and ATO is working.

ALSO, since the reboot today, I have no historical graph data. all of that is missing.

Tank is at 70° but i am sure it got as low as 65° during the night.

I am on version 2.2 and I show no errors in the web GUI. All equipment was powered as my lights were on and all water movement pumps had power.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u have a power blink possibly where the reef pi got shutdown hard and then booted back up?

I made my power relay NC on my heaters so that if the reef pi goes wonky i still have heat...

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib MAJOR ISSUE today. as you know I had issues with my system alerting last week on the ATO. I have been traveling all week away from home and now that i am home, something was amis. my Clam did not look good. Plus one of the BTA walked around. I went to move a frag away from it and thought WOW, that water is COLD> I went to check Reef-pi and could not login. I put my cooking thermometer in the tank and it read 68°! HOLY MOLY! This is not good. I could not access reef-pi so I power cycled it. as soon as it came up, it started blowing up my phone with ATO alerts and also the LOW temperature alerts. I checked and I am about 4 gallons low. This means the system has not been working properly for at least 4 days. I dont know where to go to diagnose this. It appears to be operational at this moment as I can access and heater and ATO is working.

ALSO, since the reboot today, I have no historical graph data. all of that is missing.

I am on version 2.2 and I show no errors in the web GUI. All equipment was powered as my lights were on and all water movement pumps had power.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and hope everything recovers!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u have a power blink possibly where the reef pi got shutdown hard and then booted back up?

I made my power relay NC on my heaters so that if the reef pi goes wonky i still have heat...
Not that I know of. I am using the DJ power bar.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats a bummer, I would go through the syslogs day by day and see if you can pin-point what took place to put it in that state. It would be good to know what may have happened, if it was hardware or software, if software it will help to know where to look. I will try to think of some simple external checks that will notify you if something is wrong, although if your away you would have to have a way to access your network.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've thought about heaters a good bit, but for freshwater its better to be cold then hot. I am more concerned about a heater getting stuck on and killing everything in the tank, I am using reef-pi as a fail safe. It does have me thinking of have a backup of some sort to at least notify me if the reef-pi goes sideways but will have to think of what kind of check would be best.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh my god :-(
How are things now? Corals ?
Let me think through this. The loss of usage data is something I am working to fix (it’s expected currently , under hard power reset condition ) . Was reef-pi not working or the entire raspberry pi ?
Can you check the log of reef-pi , particularly around the time when the t went unresponsive ? If nothing it should give you some idea since when it became unresponsive (absence of logs).
I’ll share some details on how to configure watchdog (hardware induced reboot when pi is unresponsive ) once I’m home.
Again I’m very sorry , happy to help anyway I can , and let’s hope livestock impact is limited

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't know what to even look for or when. Is there a way I can just pull the log as a file for the last 5 or 6 days and scan it?

I would go looking at the syslog files here :
Code:
bishop@tankpi:~ $ ls -l /var/log/syslog*
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 3193068 Feb  9 21:44 /var/log/syslog
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 5174563 Feb  9 06:25 /var/log/syslog.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  238499 Feb  8 06:25 /var/log/syslog.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  238902 Feb  7 06:25 /var/log/syslog.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  237523 Feb  6 06:25 /var/log/syslog.4.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  238900 Feb  5 06:25 /var/log/syslog.5.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  238923 Feb  4 06:25 /var/log/syslog.6.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  237620 Feb  3 06:25 /var/log/syslog.7.gz

Rasbian only keeps the daily log uncompressed the previous days are compressed (.gz files) to unzip them do this:
Code:
sudo gunzip /var/log/syslog.2.gz

Then to look at the contents of each the file(unzip them first as above):
Code:
more /var/log/syslog

Substitute each syslog.1-8 in the command to look at each file, let us know what you find and if you have any questions let me know and I can help with the linux stuff.

:)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back