reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

16Reefer170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small question if you all don’t mind. Reef-pi reports temperature to four decimal places, but the sensor only has a resolution of 0.0625°C, which converts to 0.1125°F. If reef-pi could round the temp data to .1°F (one decimal place) there would be no loss of resolution, and the graphs would be easer to read. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small question if you all don’t mind. Reef-pi reports temperature to four decimal places, but the sensor only has a resolution of 0.0625°C, which converts to 0.1125°F. If reef-pi could round the temp data to .1°F (one decimal place) there would be no loss of resolution, and the graphs would be easer to read. Any thoughts on this?
The historical values are hourly average, hence can be of higher precision (like the average of 45.2 and 45.3 is 45.25) than the actual readings. Though I have seen couple of time higher precision in current readings due a glitch. If you are experiencing that, let us know, its a bug.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The historical values are hourly average, hence can be of higher precision (like the average of 45.2 and 45.3 is 45.25) than the actual readings. Though I have seen couple of time higher precision in current readings due a glitch. If you are experiencing that, let us know, its a bug.
I have this issue on current temperature display. Right now I am getting 4 decimal display. I have seen more. I am running version 2.1 so if it was fixed after this than it is my fault for not upgrading.

Tristanzs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I left my ATO switch in the on position all last night and can see where PI shut it off after the selected amount of time but then it came back on again every hour after that for the duration of the time between when it activated and my alert time. Is this intentional? I was under the impression that the alert would disable it until I worked on it. It appears it disables for 1 hour and then reenables the device. My primary concern here is if I'm out of town and the switch fails in the on position every hour it'll turn on my pump and run it for the duration I selected and eventually overflow my sump.

16Reefer170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your response. I do not know if it is a glitch, but my temperature graph is out to 4 decimal places
IMG_0019.JPG
. I am running version 2.2 on a Pi Zero W.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my host name and rebooted and now none of my temperature sensors are showing up.
My temps are still on my dashboard and being read properly but I am being spammed with email alerts.
If I try and add a new temperature I can't because the sensors aren't showing anymore.

temperror2.PNG

temperror.PNG

***EDIT- I tried to reboot but it didn't work so I powered off and back on and all my sensors are working as they should be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my host name and rebooted and now none of my temperature sensors are showing up.
My temps are still on my dashboard and being read properly but I am being spammed with email alerts.
If I try and add a new temperature I can't because the sensors aren't showing anymore.

temperror2.PNG

temperror.PNG

***EDIT- I tried to reboot but it didn't work so I powered off and back on and all my sensors are working as they should be.
I hear you. I dont have anything immediately planned, but when I start working on temperature calibration (after ph driver is finished), I may touch upon this. I think if we use a moving average of some sort that will eliminate those cases where ds18b20 gives bad data in the very beginning. As for this particular case, do you think setting the limit on alerts (throttle setting under telemetry) will help? I'll keep noting down these signals so that I can attack them collectively (as many as I can) when I work on that part.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your response. I do not know if it is a glitch, but my temperature graph is out to 4 decimal places
IMG_0019.JPG
. I am running version 2.2 on a Pi Zero W.
Some of this can also happen due to celsius to fahrenheit conversion logic.

Do you all think two decimal precision is enough? I personally think so. If we all agree I can make that a standard thing across all reef-pi metrics.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of this can also happen due to celsius to fahrenheit conversion logic.

Do you all think two decimal precision is enough? I personally think so. If we all agree I can make that a standard thing across all reef-pi metrics.
I think 1 digit is enough. The resolution of the sensor is 0.11 F. Showing precision beyond the resolution might make someone feel good but it has no meaning.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specs for this state it's for panels up to 0.075in (2mm). This is gonna be a tough nut to crack. I could countersink the hole, but it would need to be done by hand, as there isn't enough room for my drill to get into where it needs to be.

georged

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specs for this state it's for panels up to 0.075in (2mm). This is gonna be a tough nut to crack. I could countersink the hole, but it would need to be done by hand, as there isn't enough room for my drill to get into where it needs to be.
Tap the panel and don't bother using the supplied nut.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally use dremel for the same job

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back