reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

can you record the temperature of previous days in reefpi?
Reef pi itself makes a graph of previous readings, and you can also feed these to a free adafruit io account to graph the readings online, and even download a .csv file of all your feeds if you want.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adafruit requires a paid subscription for anything beyond a minimal number of feeds. Looking forward to the Prometheus integration!

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my heater data, its actually not bad. Top line is the temp in the sump chamber with the heater. Bottom line is temp on the opposite end of the return near the overflow in the display (4 ft tank). You can see where I turned the heater down a bit this morning before I left for work around 5:30. On its new setting the sump temp is very jagged and goes from 78-78.6 degrees. However, the display temp is a very consistent 78-78.1 degrees with very minimal dips or spikes. Reef-pi is set to turn the heater off if it goes above 79.

How do I see the previous days?

This is the adafruit feed. My graph is set to 2 days but you can easily change it to track further out if needed.

Use3GyE.jpg

trackerit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my heater data, its actually not bad. Top line is the temp in the sump chamber with the heater. Bottom line is temp on the opposite end of the return near the overflow in the display (4 ft tank). You can see where I turned the heater down a bit this morning before I left for work around 5:30. On its new setting the sump temp is very jagged and goes from 78-78.6 degrees. However, the display temp is a very consistent 78-78.1 degrees with very minimal dips or spikes. Reef-pi is set to turn the heater off if it goes above 79.

This is the adafruit feed. My graph is set to 2 days but you can easily change it to track further out if needed.

Use3GyE.jpg

my chiller only works when the temperature increases 2 degrees, how do you do to keep the temperature so stable? in reefpi as I do to see the previous days?

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far switching to heater control with reef-pi as a fail safe my fluctuation in temp is +/- .5. (between 78 and 78.5) I have not put my Aqueon online yet so thats using the ehiem bi-metal heater. I can say when I had reef-pi doing the control, checking every minute, my temp was always within .1 degree of my target. I kind of like that stability and would much rather have reef-pi do the control. I may however change my mind once the solid state Aqueon is my primary heater.

In the meantime I am re designing my power strip. I am thinking to do a mix of solid state and mechanical relays. For the heater relay I think instead of going with a Chinese ebay-special high current solid state relay I am going to go with this Panasonic zero cross 15 amp relay
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/aqa211vl/panasonic

- My ATO uses a toms aqualifter pump which does not like SSR's so it will be a mechanical relay
- Return I want to run normally closed so that will be a mechanical relay
- Wavemakers turn on and off every hour so I will use solid state
- Skimmer, scrubber, and sump light rarley switch so I could use mechanical or SS.

So I am looking at probably doing 4 solid state relays and 4 mechanical.
I recently went the other way with my heater. I was using an Aqueon, but it failed on me (of course I was out of town). Thanks to reef-pi alert, I was able to call and talk my wife through it.
I was pretty impressed with the Eheim Jager results in the BRS reviews. In south Mississippi heaters arent needed for most of the year, so I have been sticking with reef-pi as main control on a mechanical relay.

As a slightly off topic...for ATO I am also using an aqualifter, but I am planning to switch over to this little guy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744FWNFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 running straight off of a motor controller on the pi.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With some recent updates, I think this may be a low estimate. I believe as of 2.3 we have the ability to use the PCA9685 pins as output pins, though I dont know if we can have multiple PCA9685 devices yet. With those changes, you can control hundreds of outlets and lights while leaving your GPIO pins for inputs.
So 1 pi can do an amazing amount of control.

Really? PCA9685 pins as outputs? That's amazing! Is it really true?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? PCA9685 pins as outputs? That's amazing! Is it really true?
Yes. but not in 2.3, its in 3.0 development branch. This is due to the recent work we did on HAL (hardware abstraction layer), which will allow us to not only add multiple pca9685 devices, but also use them as outlets. Each pca9685 can be used to get 16 outlets.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
Did I read previously that the ph board is only going to have 2 point calibration at ph 7 and ph 10?
What does that do for anyone in freshwater who is looking at a below 7 ph?
If the logic of a 3 point calibration is too hard to implement, would it be possible to allow a choice in 2 point calibration one being ph7 and ph10 and the other choice being ph4 and ph7?
Im wondering about the accuracy in acidic conditions if the probe is calibrated for alkaline ph.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help I built the reef pi basic module with 12v to 5v and the buck converter is making noise and pi is not staying on and randomly shuts off could this be from loose jumper cables?

IMG_20190503_170455.jpg

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What buck convertor is that and what version of raspberry pi are you running, is that a pi 3 b+?

Did you start a reef pi build thread? You should so that we can help you there instead of the main thread.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pi runs fine on normal power so I think it's the loose connection. QEBIDUL LM2596S DC-DC Buck Converter DIY 4-40V to 1.25-37V Step-down Regulator Power Module Volt Stabilizer with LED Voltmeter Display

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back