reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to test my temperature sensors to see if they're functioning? I'm at a loss what else to try at this point. I've traced through all the connections & I'm pretty positive everything is solid. Except possibly the 3.3V I'm reading at the GPIO 4 pin. But I'm assuming I should be seeing that, since it's connected to the 3.3V line via the resistor.
Correct mine also reads 3.3v on gpio 4

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to test my temperature sensors to see if they're functioning? I'm at a loss what else to try at this point. I've traced through all the connections & I'm pretty positive everything is solid. Except possibly the 3.3V I'm reading at the GPIO 4 pin. But I'm assuming I should be seeing that, since it's connected to the 3.3V line via the resistor.

One wire seems to be enabled since you are getting w1_bus_master1 as an output. If you can trace all your wires and all is wired correctly the Raspberry is not detecting your temp probe. How are you powering your raspberry? I am not a big fan of those type of proto boards but it appears to be wired correctly.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Schreiber, unfortunately, there might not be anything you can do except for start from scratch again and follow every guide to a T.

That's what it's looking like. I'm really regretting soldering directly to the Pi pins now, lol.

One wire seems to be enabled since you are getting w1_bus_master1 as an output. If you can trace all your wires and all is wired correctly the Raspberry is not detecting your temp probe. How are you powering your raspberry? I am not a big fan of those type of proto boards but it appears to be wired correctly.

I'm powering it via micro USB. It's a 5V 2A supply, so I shouldn't be having issues there. I'm very much not a fan of them either anymore after all of this. I'm probably just going to do my next one on a breadboard & test it out that way before soldering.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what it's looking like. I'm really regretting soldering directly to the Pi pins now, lol.

I'm powering it via micro USB. It's a 5V 2A supply, so I shouldn't be having issues there. I'm very much not a fan of them either anymore after all of this. I'm probably just going to do my next one on a breadboard & test it out that way before soldering.

So you did not use a proto hat? I looked back for a picture but did not see one. I did all of my work on an ada fruit proto hat called out in the Ada fruit guides, I have three temp probes and followed the guides, they worked first try. I also missed if you have multiple probes to try, if none work I would be looking at the wiring, and verifying continuity of the circuit. Which version of software are you using for you OS and Reef-pi?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks on my phone it's hard to go back and find stuff, figured it had to be posted. :)

I'm so noobish to my electronic works I followed the adafruit guides by @Ranjib and really made sure I understood how things were wired up, hard to see from the pics what it could be, I still think with power off doing continuity checks not a bad idea before tearing it back down.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you did not use a proto hat? I looked back for a picture but did not see one. I did all of my work on an ada fruit proto hat called out in the Ada fruit guides, I have three temp probes and followed the guides, they worked first try. I also missed if you have multiple probes to try, if none work I would be looking at the wiring, and verifying continuity of the circuit. Which version of software are you using for you OS and Reef-pi?

I didn't use the protohat, adafruit is out of stock. I just used a regular protoboard & made the connections myself.

All of the connections seems to be fine as far as I can tell- I'm getting 3.3V at the headphone jack. I'm not really sure what else I could check at this point.

I tried versions 2.2 & 2.3. Latest update of NOOBS on the Pi.

I've got 5 temp probes & all had the same issue, so I doubt they're the cause.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't use the protohat, adafruit is out of stock. I just used a regular protoboard & made the connections myself.

All of the connections seems to be fine as far as I can tell- I'm getting 3.3V at the headphone jack. I'm not really sure what else I could check at this point.

I tried versions 2.2 & 2.3. Latest update of NOOBS on the Pi.

I've got 5 temp probes & all had the same issue, so I doubt they're the cause.
I use raspbian on all of my pi's so I'm not sure if its the same or not.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a @Michael Lane hat...saves alot of time money and hassle!! It socket mounts right to the 40 pin pi connector and all sensors etc plug in with connectors.

https://www.tindie.com/products/Ranthalion/ml-reef-pi-hat-v2/

+1
That's an understatement and for sure the easy path, there are other options also like @theatrus pico boards etc. Those are the quick and painless route for sure. :)

I kind of wanted to see if I could build it myself, not going to win any looks purty contests, but allowed me to learn how each part works in the circuit and for me that was most of the fun. :)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bigtrout look at this new buck converter that I purchased. The lm2596 converter that I have on reef-pi has been pretty solid but I have another rpi build for another project that I used one on and the voltage drops over time. It's not constant but I noticed the red power led flashing from time to time and when I checked the voltage it was a tad low.

This converter is based on an xl4015, supposedly support 5amps vs the lm2596 which is 3amps. I know neither will really support that rating but wanted to see if this will be more stable in my other build. I think it's drawing more power since it has to power a ADS-B usb receiver. It even ces with a stick on heatsink, that's got to make things work better, lol. ;)

IMG_20190506_173951.jpg

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bigtrout look at this new buck converter that I purchased. The lm2596 converter that I have on reef-pi has been pretty solid but I have another rpi build for another project that I used one on and the voltage drops over time. It's not constant but I noticed the red power led flashing from time to time and when I checked the voltage it was a tad low.

This converter is based on an xl4015, supposedly support 5amps vs the lm2596 which is 3amps. I know neither will really support that rating but wanted to see if this will be more stable in my other build. I think it's drawing more power since it has to power a ADS-B usb receiver. It even ces with a stick on heatsink, that's got to make things work better, lol. ;)

IMG_20190506_173951.jpg
Nice find...lemme know how it works..looks like a nice quality pcb and components...as u may have guessed im a meanwell fan but a good puck has its uses

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find...lemme know how it works..looks like a nice quality pcb and components...as u may have guessed im a meanwell fan but a good puck has its uses

Yeah the meanwells are nice units, I just have so many laptop etc power supplies that to buy yet another supply (I have a huge Tupperware bin full of supplies), my wife would rather I not get any more power supplies. ;)

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the meanwells are nice units, I just have so many laptop etc power supplies that to buy yet another supply (I have a huge Tupperware bin full of supplies), my wife would rather I not get any more power supplies. ;)
I tend to accumulate stuff like that too...i understand...check out my craigslist relay score on my build thread...lol

PaulJ2303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the subject of power supplies,
what amperage would you guys recommend for the 12v supply?
i see the adafruit guide calls for 1A whereas i see a few posters using 3 - 5A

given the choice what would be the best ?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the subject of power supplies,
what amperage would you guys recommend for the 12v supply?
i see the adafruit guide calls for 1A whereas i see a few posters using 3 - 5A

given the choice what would be the best ?
That's a good question and depends on what all you are trying to drive, lights (how many, what type, etc).

You have to keep in mind the amperage rating of the wire internal to your build and plan accordingly. It's good that your thinking about it now since it will help you avoid potential issues in the future. I think I am using a 12v 5amp power supply but feeding power from that to some lights directly vs going through rpi.

Some may be feeding multi power inputs depending on what they are doing.

:)

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some power issues tonight with a thunderstorm. While there's a USB battery between the wall and the Pi, it still seems to lose power when the power drops for a second. When it comes back and the Pi boots again. The web services don't seem to come up gracefully. I need to reinstall the services and restart everything with the following commands to get it working again.

sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-2.3-pi3.deb
sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service

The temp services seem to be started with the reboot, just not the web services. ideas?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back