reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Thats nice to here . I hope you got value for your money from this build. We (reef-pi comunity) certainly got a whole lotta help from your guidance.

Thanks!

I have a great controller for the money! Rivals any 1000 dollar reef controller for less than 20 percent of the cost. Its fun to build and tinker with as well!

If reef pi alerts me early or helps me avert just one major tank emergency(you know the stuck heater, ph bomb etc etc) it will have paid for itself!

With my leds lighting glowing brightly and dimming on schedule, i think all the neighbors think im growing something that ends with eed!!!

Last edited:

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile pwm profile enhancements are in progress... first stage is to have dedicated api for pwm profiles.. and implement the current features with new gears (similar to HAL overhaul). Here are some graphs of the diurnal, auto and fixed profile in action with different time period and min/max threshold

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 9.23.54 PM.png

One of the thing I pay attention to is if the min/max threshold is preserved across threshold, and in correct fashion. Here is an example of diurnal setting with min -max set to 9-77 . Seems like reef-pi is doing the right thing here...
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 9.53.28 PM.png

more to come.. this is the feature that will unlock fine grained light control (30 min or 15 interval settings), wave makers etc. If any of you have some information on how to generate those curves (reef crest for wave maker for example), please share those, it will be tremendously useful

I dont know how to make the curve but heres a pic of a graph of actual sun output...its a nice parabola...with finer lighting control I can get close enough!

20190606_160219.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how to make the curve but heres a pic of a graph of actual sun output...its a nice parabola...with finer lighting control I can get close enough!

20190606_160219.png

This is super duper helpful. Can you link the source? I tried getting this data without any luck..

I can take care of the curve. Dealing with time series analysis and building graphs (or breaking down existing graphs) is something i do as part of my job. If you are curious about the details, we can either find a suitable function (cubic spline or some forms of bezier) that represent this curve (this one looks typical sine curve to me), or break it down into smaller pieces and find suitable functions for individual sections (piece wise bezier/b-spline etc). I'll add this as a new profile and report back :0)
thank you again,

trackerit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is super duper helpful. Can you link the source? I tried getting this data without any luck..

I can take care of the curve. Dealing with time series analysis and building graphs (or breaking down existing graphs) is something i do as part of my job. If you are curious about the details, we can either find a suitable function (cubic spline or some forms of bezier) that represent this curve (this one looks typical sine curve to me), or break it down into smaller pieces and find suitable functions for individual sections (piece wise bezier/b-spline etc). I'll add this as a new profile and report back :0)
thank you again,
@Ranjib prometheus its avaliable? How activated it?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thank you again,

Ask and ye shall recieve.
Heres the link to the research

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...nd-northern-hemisphere-regions_fig1_297675120

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib prometheus its avaliable? How activated it?
Yes :). In 3.0 prerelease you have to click on the Prometheus checkbox under Configuration -> Settings page and reload reef-pi. Once that happens, reef-pi will provide all metrics under /x/metrics endpoint. which is then you can configure in Prometheus for scraping. Finally, grafana is configured against Prometheus to fetch and chart the centrally collected data.
Let me know if you need any help with this. If theres any interest, i'd be happy to post detailed end to end setup instruction.

trackerit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes :). In 3.0 prerelease you have to click on the Prometheus checkbox under Configuration -> Settings page and reload reef-pi. Once that happens, reef-pi will provide all metrics under /x/metrics endpoint. which is then you can configure in Prometheus for scraping. Finally, grafana is configured against Prometheus to fetch and chart the centrally collected data.
Let me know if you need any help with this. If theres any interest, i'd be happy to post detailed end to end setup instruction.
Thanks, if you can post a guide of how, i will be happy [emoji2]

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interest!!!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-pi 3.0 alpha 2 loaded and configured to give it a run.

So far so good, temps sensors, light pwm, equipment all working. Ph board configured and reading -32768 when no probe connected and with the probe pin shorted out reading close to 0. Yay! The phboard @Jonathan Troutt built for me works....

Now to order a ph probe, any suggestions?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So far so good, temps sensors, light pwm, equipment all working. Ph board configured and reading -32768 when no probe connected and with the probe pin shorted out reading close to 0. Yay! The phboard @Jonathan Troutt built for me works....

i have milawukee, american marine pinpoint and atlas scientific ... all are good. Atlas scientific one is running for more than a year now, while the other two are for couple of months.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats awesome man im glad to hear its working.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib i have the dual float sensors for my auto top off. Is there a way to still have reefpi control my autotop pump? Basically turn on pump bit if pump stays on for too long to shut off?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your dual sensors connected to reef pi now?

What type of sensors? Voltage?

What type of pump? Voltage?

Im thinking a great setup would be one sensor into reef pi, reef pi controlling your ATO.

Second sensor wired inline with your pump as a failsafe...if first sensor or reef pi messes up, the second sensor breaks the voltage going to the pump.

Last edited:

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.0 cant use the 2.3 database.

You have to purge 2.3 completely and redo your setup in 3.0, but if you save your 2.3 database then you could always go back easily.

That all being said, 3.0 has been stable for me so far, and im awaiting a ph probe to arrive.

I have noticed one big improvement in 3.0, my adafruit i/o feeds have been much more stable. With 2.3 and 2.4 i would get the occasional feed "drops" for a moment of two here and there, with 3.0 it has not dropped a feed yet.

Last edited:

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.0 cant use the 2.3 database.

You have to purge 2.3 completely and redo your setup in 3.0, but if you save your 2.3 database then you could always go back easily.

That all being said, 3.0 has been stable for me so far, and im awaiting a ph probe to arrive.

I have noticed one big improvement in 3.0, my adafruit i/o feeds have been much more stable. With 2.3 and 2.4 i would get the occasional feed "drops" for a moment of two here and there, with 3.0 it has not dropped a feed yet.
What file(s) contain the 2.3 database? I might write a python script to convert when I get 3.0 up. This would make the upgrade a lot easier for folks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back