reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib is it possible to make the current ph pnly have 2 decimals?
of course :) . We wrote the controller, we can do anything. Lets just think through this, if thats what make sense. I dont know yet. Lets see what other think. I think it should be ok. Just remember i'll be adding ph based action (equipment control etc) and there is a chance (small) that we'll use the ph thing for titrations, so i am cautious what kinda precision we want to aim for.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course :) . We wrote the controller, we can do anything. Lets just think through this, if thats what make sense. I dont know yet. Lets see what other think. I think it should be ok. Just remember i'll be adding ph based action (equipment control etc) and there is a chance (small) that we'll use the ph thing for titrations, so i am cautious what kinda precision we want to aim for.
I think 4 decimal spots should be accurate enough.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My certified calibration fluid is only rated to 2 decimals so I don’t think we need more than that.

SDchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accuracy of the unit (probe, sensor and cal.fluids) is only going to be 2 decimal places. I'd imagine pH 0.05 would be pretty good. Precision maybe closer to 3 decimal places.

SDchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the higher PH trend ive noticed that the KH guardian that is based off this same type of test states in there manual. That the machine must be 3 feet or less from the water and to not cut the tubing. So maybe it has something to do with the amount of tubing you have. Just a guess though. Im going to be following this I would love to build it. and try it out.
Cheers.
The tubing is only short. That thought had crossed my mind. At this stage I think the most likely culprit is the reaction time of the pH probe when subjected to large changes in pH.
Have just built a new test unit. Will post some details later.
The unit itself is surprisingly simple to build.

Chris

gminton86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers.
The tubing is only short. That thought had crossed my mind. At this stage I think the most likely culprit is the reaction time of the pH probe when subjected to large changes in pH.
Have just built a new test unit. Will post some details later.
The unit itself is surprisingly simple to build.

Chris
Is there any manual or schematic and installation instructions that you could give me im interested in building one for my tank and I would appreciate it if you had anything that coul help me to understand it a little better. That site that says calkulate is hard to understand but if I had a little guadiance i think I could figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Also
Ranjib, I cannot get my ATO to work but I didn't really follow the adafruit build instructions. Instead I have a water valve solenoid and an electric float switch with two wires coming out of it and i was thinking that I could use reef pi to activate the solenoid (it only needs 5 VDC 100ma on the gate of a mosfet) from the reading that the two wire float sensor gives off. If sensor Low on water (open circuit) or once water reaches high level it would be a closed circuit. Then set it to activate 5 volts on an outlet in turn using the pi to activate the gate of a mosfet to complete the circuit of the RO solenoid? I feel like it should work just fine. The way I configured it it wont activate the mosfet or it activates it and wont turn it off. Its not reading the inlet. I even tried to set a jack and set to RPI driving on pin 5 and reading on pin 23 but still no luck. any help would be great and also do you have a link to a cheap but good Pico PH probe?
Thanks for the Welcome ill be around for a while until I get this working. Im very determine.LOL

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W00t :). If you want to get rid of the old readings , you can delete the current probe, recreate it again in disable state, apply calibration first and then enable it. Otherwise you wont see the daily ph swing in historic trends due to those high un-calibrated values (3000 in range).

I deleted and readded the probe, so now I'm getting the proper numbers. Thanks @Ranjib for all the help.

gminton86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nevermind I figured the ATO out I needed to be sending back 3.3 to the signal wire for it to read and once I did that it was reading and working. Thanks for all your hard work on this im excited to be a part of it.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get a BRS double junction and test against my Hanna pH meter.

@Ranjib Separately - good to see the TPLink support (I use the outlets for various lamps in my house, my kids don't shut lights off and I'm too lazy to get up haha). Can I use the basic 'framework' for those as a starting point for the Digital Loggers web switch? (Basically, it's just 8 outlets accessable via an API to turn off/on).

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Ranjib Separately - good to see the TPLink support (I use the outlets for various lamps in my house, my kids don't shut lights off and I'm too lazy to get up haha). Can I use the basic 'framework' for those as a starting point for the Digital Loggers web switch? (Basically, it's just 8 outlets accessable via an API to turn off/on).

Can those outlets be used in conjunction with the ADJ strip?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t know . I highly doubt this. This one uses a autokey encrypted tcp based protocol, that I was able to understand by going through the nidejs library. We need to know the specifics of control mechanism of that particular vendor. You have such doc?

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know . I highly doubt this. This one uses a autokey encrypted tcp based protocol, that I was able to understand by going through the nidejs library. We need to know the specifics of control mechanism of that particular vendor. You have such doc?

the smart outlets in general. Will we be able to use them along with the ADJ strip?

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. They use a RESTful API to interact with the controller..I can post a link in a bit..

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. They use a RESTful API to interact with the controller..I can post a link in a bit..
I can test these as well. I have a couple of use cases. Would we be able to tie them to equipment and into macros and timers? I can build an automatic water change system with these...... maybe.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back