reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully we can figure out the temp probe issue, otherwise it seems 3.0 is nearly there. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance play with the new RC due to work. Hopefully I'll have more time this weekend, maybe the stable release will be out (not trying to rush it, as I'd rather have it "right" rather than "sooner").

Keep up the fantastic work and as always, thank you for what you guys do.

mk1scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck with the original temp sensor. Ran the code, returned nothing. Figured I must have tugged on a wire while moving things around over the weekend.

Plugged in a dual probe I had laying around for a different project, boom, detected both temp sensors. Assigned them in reef pi (rc01). One works while the other doesn't (both worked in a prior iteration of reef pi). Ran "ls /sys/bus/w1/devices" and detects both sensors.

Edit. Deleted the "bad" sensor. Then recreated it but disabled it before saving. It picked up a temp reading in the calibration mode so I then enabled the sensor and it is currently working.

Both temp sensors are running.

Last edited:

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck with the original temp sensor. Ran the code, returned nothing. Figured I must have tugged on a wire while moving things around over the weekend.

Plugged in a dual probe I had laying around for a different project, boom, detected both temp sensors. Assigned them in reef pi (rc01). One works while the other doesn't (both worked in a prior iteration of reef pi). Ran "ls /sys/bus/w1/devices" and detects both sensors.

Edit. Deleted the "bad" sensor. Then recreated it but disabled it before saving. It picked up a temp reading in the calibration mode so I then enabled the sensor and it is currently working.

Both temp sensors are running.
I bet if you do a reload you lose a sensor.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished my upgrade from 2.4 to 3.0. Love the new features that have been added since 2.x! So far everything is up and running and working with some minor work arounds.

- I am getting the same temp sensor issue. On reboot one of my two temp sensors is no longer recognized. It’s there but is removed from the dashboard. Deleting it and re adding seems to fix it until I reboot again

- this is minor and took some experimenting but I have to select a chiller threshhold in order to enable temp control. Otherwise it will not save

- PCA 9865 driver address defaults to 68. Doing some searching looks like the default address is actually 64

- a minor annoyance I was hoping would get fixed is the dashboard errors when an action has not been completed yet. I have doser on the dashboard that are not scheduled to run till tomorrow at 8 pm so two errors will pop up every time I go to the dash board till it runs tomorrow at 8pm

@Ranjib You all have really outdone yourself with all the work put into this. Thanks for keeping my reef running :)

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small annoyance which would be nice if it could be addressed. When the Temp probes go AWOL, I get the pink bars, which I understand from Ranjib's explanations are benign, but the problem is that they cover up the controls for the buttons on the right (Calibrate, Edit Delete) and unless you can get to the very bottom one in the list, you can't click the "X" to get rid of them, so you can't access the Macro's, Timers or anything.

Or do I have something wrong again? :)

2019-11-26 (1).png

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting note on the latest build (rc1). The timer working on all prior builds now are no longer functioning. I get an error of {"error":"Failed to update. Error: Cron ID not found for job ID:9"} | HTTP 500. The last working state was on build 3.0 alpha, I noticed the new fields but no matter what I change this does not rectify the existing timers.

I did observe making a new timer duplicating the exact configuration of the non functioning timer saves and functions without error. Perhaps a link is lost between the two builds when adding the additional time format? While I was able to rectify this I figured this might be worth sharing.

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also reporting success with the lighting portion on reef-pi-3.0.0-rc1-pi3.deb. Great work!
Same here, all looks good so far! Thank you again reef-pi team!

+1 on those pop up error messages though, I've accidentally deleted equipment trying to close those boxes on small screens. Perhaps it could just go in the "error" tab? Or have a setting option to hide them altogether?

Here's some new frags from the Manhattan Frag Swap last weekend and a grumpy clown enjoying the new light.
IMG_20191125_125425.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting note on the latest build (rc1). The timer working on all prior builds now are no longer functioning. I get an error of {"error":"Failed to update. Error: Cron ID not found for job ID:9"} | HTTP 500. The last working state was on build 3.0 alpha, I noticed the new fields but no matter what I change this does not rectify the existing timers.

I did observe making a new timer duplicating the exact configuration of the non functioning timer saves and functions without error. Perhaps a link is lost between the two builds when adding the additional time format? While I was able to rectify this I figured this might be worth sharing.
Yes, we added the ability to specify weekdays (day alternate Wednesday) in timer specification. And as a side effect the old timers will need to be updated for this new format. I’ll keep in mind and call this out in the doc

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too had the pink bars down the side of my screen. I had an optical sensor enabled but forgot to plug it back in. Once I did that, I hit the reload button on my browser (not the reload in reef-pi) and they were gone.

pies666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya,

I have a question regarding RGB lightening. How exacly does the "color slider" setting (in lightening -> lamp tab) works? Does it "mix" R+G+B via 3 PWM signals? If yes, is there any information how it should be set up? If I for example set Jack 1 to use pin no. 1,2,3 which pin corresponds with Red, Green and Blue in reef-pi? I'm hooking up RGB LED strip, not Kessil lights (I guess, Kessils are only R+B - am I right?).

Cheers,

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya,

I have a question regarding RGB lightening. How exacly does the "color slider" setting (in lightening -> lamp tab) works? Does it "mix" R+G+B via 3 PWM signals? If yes, is there any information how it should be set up? If I for example set Jack 1 to use pin no. 1,2,3 which pin corresponds with Red, Green and Blue in reef-pi? I'm hooking up RGB LED strip, not Kessil lights (I guess, Kessils are only R+B - am I right?).

Cheers,
No the color slider just specifies what color the lines on the graph on the dashboard will be for that particular channel. It has nothing to do with color mixing of your lights

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
I have loaded reef pi 3.0 rc1 and have a weird behavior with temp sensors. First off this is being tested on my bullet proof build that was happily running the 3.0 alpha release for months.
Upgrading from 3.0 alpha i had some temp sensors missing so I deleted them all and remade the sensors. All is good and they happily work.
Upon a reload of reef pi a temp sensor will randomly be missing once it reloads. If you delete and remake that sensor it works fine until you do another reef pi reload. I can see all sensors when ssh into pi and issue the command to see them on the onewire bus.

In short:
Sensors created and work fine but upon reef pi reload they will randomly quit working. After deleting and recreating the sensor it will again work fine until a reef pi reload.

This is definitely reef pi software related as going back to 3.0 alpha everything works.

The lighting in reef pi 3.0rc1 seems to be working !
@Bigtrout i have not been able to reproduce this with single sensor setup. I'll try with multi-sensor setup tonight and report back. Looks like this is reproducible. i just have to recreate it on my end .

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back