reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bigtrout i have not been able to reproduce this with single sensor setup. I'll try with multi-sensor setup tonight and report back. Looks like this is reproducible. i just have to recreate it on my end .
It almoat acts like when reef pi initializes after a reboot or reload it only finds the first sensor on the onewire bus even though they are all there.
@Ranjib, doing some reading about the onewire bus, i found some info that it may take some time to initialize, find all the sensors, their addresses and resolutions, etc. Perhaps adding a small time delay on relaoding may solve the problem

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang... I was able to reproduce the error :) . Thank you so much folks. I have been able to reproduce the error in my setup. It's silly bug (As usual) in the backend software code. Off to fixing it.. and 3.0 final release .. or may be cut one last rc

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok fix is done.. https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/927
And I have cut a new release (rc2) with the fix and few other fixes. https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.0.0-rc2
I think this is it. I dont have anything thats blocking the final release. I could really use a last round of testing if you get a chance @Bigtrout @mk1scott @b4tn

Summary of changes going in rc2 (takes as it is from the release page):
  • Fix multiple sensor bug
  • Make ph rollup values two decimal precision
  • PCA9685 default address should be 64 instead of 68
  • Fix light profile incorrect values
  • Misc internationalization improvements

pies666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the color slider just specifies what color the lines on the graph on the dashboard will be for that particular channel. It has nothing to do with color mixing of your lights
Thank You! So I will just set the R+G+B manually via PWM signals.

One more question - would it be possible to run reef-pi with non-official but still DSI Touchscreen? I've got 5'' DFRobot DSI screen. It seems not to be working (showing Rasbian desktop even when enabled in reef-pi) by default. Receiving "{"error":"strconv.Atoi: parsing \"255\\n\": invalid syntax"} | HTTP 404".
However I can control it's brightness via reef-pi just fine. Any idea what should I look for to change?

Cheers,

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok fix is done.. https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/927
And I have cut a new release (rc2) with the fix and few other fixes. https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.0.0-rc2
I think this is it. I dont have anything thats blocking the final release. I could really use a last round of testing if you get a chance @Bigtrout @mk1scott @b4tn

Summary of changes going in rc2 (takes as it is from the release page):
  • Fix multiple sensor bug
  • Make ph rollup values two decimal precision
  • PCA9685 default address should be 64 instead of 68
  • Fix light profile incorrect values
  • Misc internationalization improvements
Ill do some testing after work today! Great job at fixing the bugs. Ill report my findings as soon as I can.

mk1scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get the latest release installed tonight before we head to CT for the next few days.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it installed this morning. So far my temp sensors are good after reboot and everything seems to be working normal. I will play with it more after work today. I have a couple questions not related to the update but more the new features in 3.0

1. Can someone give me an example of what and how the reversible function works in Macros?

2. on the subject of Macros, all of my flow pumps work on timers. In order to completely turn off pumps I have to make a macro like this

"Wavemakers off"
Timers - wavemaker right - off
Timers - wavemaker left - off
Timers - wavemaker lower - off
Equipment - wavemaker right - off
Equipment - wavemaker left - off
Equipment - wavemaker lower - off

To turn them back on I have another macro that turns all the timers back on.

"Wavemakers on"
Timers - wavemaker right - on
Timers - wavemaker left - on
Timers - wavemaker lower - on

Now to complicate things even further, I want to turn off flow pumps inside of a macro for water changes or feeding. Right now I have this huge macro that individually does the steps above for each flow pump... wait... all the steps for each pump again to turn them on... wait... all the steps again to turn them off..etc. Macro is a function to control but it does not seem to work so I do the following:

"Feed (how I actually have it)"
Equipment - Return - off
Equipment - skimmer - off
wait 120 seconds
wait 120 seconds
Wait 1200 seconds
Equipment - return - on
Wait 120 seconds
wait 120 seconds
Equipment - skimmer - on

The question I have is how to I get macro control inside of a macro to work? The option is there but the action is confusing it says on or off. Should it not be run? I have tried setting the action to both on and off for the macro but it does not work like it is above. below would be my understanding of how the above would work if I could have a macro run the macros. It shortens it up significantly

"Feed"
Macro - wavemakers off - (I would think there would be an option for run vs off/on I have tried both off and on with no luck)
Equipment - Return - off
Equipment - skimmer - off
wait 120 seconds
Macro - wavemakers on - (I would think there would be an option for run vs off/on I have tried both off and on with no luck)
wait 120 seconds
Macro - wavemakers off - (I would think there would be an option for run vs off/on I have tried both off and on with no luck)
Wait 1200 seconds
Equipment - return - on
Wait 120 seconds
Macro - Wavemakers on - (I would think there would be an option for run vs off/on I have tried both off and on with no luck)
wait 120 seconds
Equipment - skimmer - on

pies666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I attempt to add PCA9685 Driver in 3.0.0 version the UI suggests address "68". I change it to default 40 (as it's my boards address) but I get "Failed to create. Error: remote I/O error reef-pi".
Already checked out i2c via i2cdetect and it show correctly 0x40 address. I have only PCA9685 board attached to rpi.

Fresh rasbian install with updates installed. Newest npm and node.js.

Any suggestions?

Edit:

I obviously didn't convert hexa to decimal. So dumb.

Last edited:

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I attempt to add PCA9685 Driver in 3.0.0 version the UI suggests address "68". I change it to default 40 (as it's my boards address) but I get "Failed to create. Error: remote I/O error reef-pi".
Already checked out i2c via i2cdetect and it show correctly 0x40 address. I have only PCA9685 board attached to rpi.

Any suggestions?

Edit:

@Ranjib changed the default from 68 to 64 in the RC2 release. Took me a minute also when I was first installing it.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You! So I will just set the R+G+B manually via PWM signals.

One more question - would it be possible to run reef-pi with non-official but still DSI Touchscreen? I've got 5'' DFRobot DSI screen. It seems not to be working (showing Rasbian desktop even when enabled in reef-pi) by default. Receiving "{"error":"strconv.Atoi: parsing \"255\\n\": invalid syntax"} | HTTP 404".
However I can control it's brightness via reef-pi just fine. Any idea what should I look for to change?

Cheers,
The display features are built for raspberry pi official touchscreen, and won’t work with other displays. You can still use your display just fine, but you can’t control it via reef-pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any suggestions?

Edit:

It’s 64 in decimal , which is what reef-pi expects. 0x40 is I’m hexadecimal

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any suggestions?

Edit:

Aah you got it :)
You are not dumb, it’s unintuitive UX/UI that we have to address

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we added the ability to specify weekdays (day alternate Wednesday) in timer specification. And as a side effect the old timers will need to be updated for this new format. I’ll keep in mind and call this out in the doc

Got 3.0.0 installed, and so far the basics are all working after upgrading from 2.3/2.5 - So, great job with this!

Did you get the TP-link control into this version? Mine are currently on the christmas lights, so no big deal if not.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 3.0.0 installed, and so far the basics are all working after upgrading from 2.3/2.5 - So, great job with this!

Did you get the TP-link control into this version? Mine are currently on the christmas lights, so no big deal if not.
Yes , they are all in 3.0 :)

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, just realized my equipment control after upgrading isn't working. When I try to turn something on or off, I get
{"error":"Failed to update. Error: can't update 11 - can't get output pin"} | HTTP 500

clicking on configuration then connectors, I get this error

Something went wrong.
TypeError: Cannot read property 'name' of undefined
in t in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in div in div in t in div in t in t in div in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in i

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, just realized my equipment control after upgrading isn't working. When I try to turn something on or off, I get
{"error":"Failed to update. Error: can't update 11 - can't get output pin"} | HTTP 500

Something went wrong.
in t in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in div in div in t in div in t in t in div in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in i

It also appears that sending email notifications through gmail broke, and I can't seem to fix it.. ugh

mk1scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rc2 installed and running. After several reloads, all temp sensors continue to work as they should.

Will continue to setup all equipment/ calibrate the pH probe and will report back.

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something went wrong.

What's the best way to just clear the config and start over? also, before I do that, where is the config file stored so I can see what my connector settings are? I tried to roll back, and that didn't work.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to just clear the config and start over? also, before I do that, where is the config file stored so I can see what my connector settings are? I tried to roll back, and that didn't work.

This is how I did it.

sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back