reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone tried making an app for this rather than going thru the vnc or .tor to get into a reef-pi?
App as in mobile app? reef-pi runs a tiny webserver and you can access it straight via browser if you are in local network. Without VNC. For outside home network, we'll need some sort of cloud presence for anything to work on, other than native app (which probably is not a strict necessity)

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Temp probes went missing again this afternoon. had to disable and re-enable. They're back.

On another note, I am struggling to get timers to work. When I first set this Reef-Pi up, I played around with a timer test triggering a Macro as this was a feature I really like and wanted to use. I got it to work turning an triggering a macro every 20 seconds that turned an item of equipment on for 10 seconds and then off.

Fast forward about 2 weeks and I can't get a single timer to run despite adding a RTC to the Pi as a precaution.
2019-11-18.png

The time never seems to update on my Reef-Pi. Could that be part of the problem?

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
I've reproduced several times, all with jacks based on PCA9685.
Same here. They seem to double up, and I'm still getting no response in the light itself. I've deleted the lights and ports several times with the same results.

On a positive note I did a update/upgrade on the core pi raspbian and the temp probe wobble seems to have stabilized quite a bit.

IMG_20191118_140354.jpg

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t know if it is related to the disappearing temperature probes but my calibration keeps going away. It will last a few hours then I will go to check it and it is gone. My temperature probe reads about 3 degrees to low

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Update with a few observations :

• My timer issue above - I figured I was trying to get the timer to trigger a Macro. Maybe this feature isn't fully ready yet. I then found that the "Equipment" option under "Function" was missing. It still works if you select the blank slot though.
    2019-11-20 (1).png
  • Timers controlling Equipment is working well for me now.
  • Back in the dark ages :) when Reef-Pi first implemented Macros, it would change the "Run" box to "Running" when a macro was actually in use. This was a very useful feature I think. At the moment, I have to analyse from the equipment if a macro is running.
  • Editing a Macro - It would be really nice if you could insert a line in the middle of a Macro. I left a step out of a long Macro and you have to re-write the whole thing. Also would be nice if you add equipment and want add them into the middle of a Macro.
Progressing well though.

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Last Monday I installed reef-pi-3.0.0-rc0-pi3.deb on my new Raspberry Pi 4B. Then I connected 4 temperature probes, did the settings in the Temperature tab, rebooted, all working fine. I let them run until Tuesday evening, no issues. Then I added a PCA9685, in the driver tab I added it with address 64. Assigned a Jack and I went to lights tab to add a light, after rebooting 3 of my temp sensors were gone from the dashboard but still under the Temperature tab. When I checked if Reef-pi did see al the temp sensors I could still choose all 4. Then I deleted the one that was visible on my dashboard in the Temp tab. And suddenly all the other 3 temp sensors showed up in the dashboard again. Only the light is not working still.
It looks like the same issues as some others already described in previous posts. I hope this helps a bit to solve the issue.

Corals.com

PaulJ2303

View Badges
Reaction score
just to give an update for those who've helped my with my dosing pump setup.
Ive decided to go with a duty cycle of 250hz with the pumps running sat 70% this has proved to be the most reliable
over time whilst keeping the speed of the pumps down.

TBH the real reason i'm writing is i have a bit of a puzzle (for me anyway)
I have a ATO Refractometer and I've noticed something that has knocked my confidence in it.
I made up some salt using cold water and checked it as usual with my Refractometer, i then kept looking at the reading and the reading kept steadily lowering point by point. i'm assuming because the temperature of the water rose in contact with the warm Refractometer.

but i don't really know ... so i'm asking you techy guys what is the correct procedure for using an ATO Refractometer to get accurate consistent results?

ok back to reef-pi
on my dashboard (3.0b) the temperature seems to auto scale between the highest value and the lowest.
is it possible to set the dashboard temp scale manually like we used to be able to do in 2.4

cheers.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
just to give an update for those who've helped my with my dosing pump setup.
Ive decided to go with a duty cycle of 250hz with the pumps running sat 70% this has proved to be the most reliable
over time whilst keeping the speed of the pumps down.

TBH the real reason i'm writing is i have a bit of a puzzle (for me anyway)
I have a ATO Refractometer and I've noticed something that has knocked my confidence in it.
I made up some salt using cold water and checked it as usual with my Refractometer, i then kept looking at the reading and the reading kept steadily lowering point by point. i'm assuming because the temperature of the water rose in contact with the warm Refractometer.

but i don't really know ... so i'm asking you techy guys what is the correct procedure for using an ATO Refractometer to get accurate consistent results?

ok back to reef-pi
on my dashboard (3.0b) the temperature seems to auto scale between the highest value and the lowest.
is it possible to set the dashboard temp scale manually like we used to be able to do in 2.4

cheers.
Can you share a link of of your refractometer? My refractometer is pretty stable and i can calibrate it with 40ppm calibration solution. Are you using hydrometer?

PaulJ2303

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi @Ranjib :cool:

no not using a hydrometer

edit: i've been experimenting a bit with some calibration fluid and tank water and i think the trick is to put the water on the prism and just wait .... for a bout 5 minutes to let it settle .. it all seems to tally up and make sense then.

Last edited:
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question :- On the Tank - Heater/Cooler graph below, what do the "up" and "down" figures represent? I thought it would be heater / chiller usage in seconds like the ATO displays, until I realised there can't be 5070 seconds in an hour.

2019-11-20 (2).png
Your assumptions are correct. This looks like a bug for sure. Is it possible to share the temperature controller settings? I'll fix it asap if i can reproduce it

Top Shelf Aquatics

Soulreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
sorry friend, I just tried installing reefpi, there was a problem in the PCA driver, the pca driver always error when inputted to reefpi, this might sound very boring, because this problem has been asked a lot .... I have read it many times on the page 603-605 and have followed all the instructions there

I have done the steps as the instructions are there
enable pca> already
troubel 2.jpg

test i2c> with sudo i2cdetect -y 1
Detected results
troubel 1.jpg

try to install the driver always error
troubel 6.jpg

troubel 7.jpg

troubel 5.jpg

active reefpi
troubel 3.jpg

thank you
hopefully anyone can provide a solution

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Is your current reef tank the BEST reef aquarium you've ever had?

• Yes

Votes: 137 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • It's a tie

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 6.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors