reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

PaulJ2303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Ranjib :cool:

no not using a hydrometer

edit: i've been experimenting a bit with some calibration fluid and tank water and i think the trick is to put the water on the prism and just wait .... for a bout 5 minutes to let it settle .. it all seems to tally up and make sense then.

Last edited:

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question :- On the Tank - Heater/Cooler graph below, what do the "up" and "down" figures represent? I thought it would be heater / chiller usage in seconds like the ATO displays, until I realised there can't be 5070 seconds in an hour.

2019-11-20 (2).png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question :- On the Tank - Heater/Cooler graph below, what do the "up" and "down" figures represent? I thought it would be heater / chiller usage in seconds like the ATO displays, until I realised there can't be 5070 seconds in an hour.

2019-11-20 (2).png
Your assumptions are correct. This looks like a bug for sure. Is it possible to share the temperature controller settings? I'll fix it asap if i can reproduce it

Soulreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry friend, I just tried installing reefpi, there was a problem in the PCA driver, the pca driver always error when inputted to reefpi, this might sound very boring, because this problem has been asked a lot .... I have read it many times on the page 603-605 and have followed all the instructions there

I have done the steps as the instructions are there
enable pca> already
troubel 2.jpg

test i2c> with sudo i2cdetect -y 1
Detected results
troubel 1.jpg

try to install the driver always error
troubel 6.jpg

troubel 7.jpg

troubel 5.jpg

active reefpi
troubel 3.jpg

thank you
hopefully anyone can provide a solution

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry friend, I just tried installing reefpi, there was a problem in the PCA driver, the pca driver always error when inputted to reefpi, this might sound very boring, because this problem has been asked a lot .... I have read it many times on the page 603-605 and have followed all the instructions there

I have done the steps as the instructions are there
enable pca> already
troubel 2.jpg

test i2c> with sudo i2cdetect -y 1
Detected results
troubel 1.jpg

try to install the driver always error
troubel 6.jpg

troubel 7.jpg

troubel 5.jpg

active reefpi
troubel 3.jpg

thank you
hopefully anyone can provide a solution
Try with address as 64 .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try with address as 64 .
Its strange, Im not able to see the screenshots via r2r forum webpage, but the google notification email had this post and there all the screenshots are present :0/

Soulreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its strange, Im not able to see the screenshots via r2r forum webpage, but the google notification email had this post and there all the screenshots are present :0/
I use copy paste, just insert the file from the folder in the input directly into the comment without uploading the file :)

Soulreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
halow Ranjib, I need your help to check my schematic, sorry I am not electronic engineer maybe there are still many errors, I have a problem with libraries for CHIP L29D tipe SMD. I am very happy if anyone can help this eagle library chip. thanks

1REEFSOULS-REEF PI.jpg

2REEFSOULS-REEF PI.jpg

3REEFSOULS-REEF PI.jpg

4REEFSOULS-REEF PI.jpg

5REEFSOULS-REEF PI.jpg

6REEFSOULS-REEF PI.jpg

This design is not finished just to see the chip layout.

TOP REEFSOULS-REEF PI.jpg

I posted a year ago and a few months later I ordered a PCB to China, now I can have free time to assemble it, it's still not perfect, I tried to install 2 PCA, it works as I wish.

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-23 at 17.36.15.jpeg

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit more basic on mine. I just following the basic ReefPi for the light controller that's linked in the first post. So it's the light power controller, temp controller, and ATO circuits. I figured it's a good starting point for me. Next version I may try adding in the Ph monitor as well.

I didn't have the Pi Zero yet when I did the layout, so I'm already seeing a lot of changes to make for the next version. Only fancy thing I did was include the level switch breakout board into this one. The Pi will mount underneath in this version. Next version I'll clear enough space that it will mount on the top. In my rush, I also completely forgot smoothing capacitors for the voltage regulator, thankfully 7805's are very forgiving.

I'll build one more up for testing purposes after this one, before moving on to the next revision. I'll still have 10 bare boards with this design if anybody wants. All I ask in return is to cover the shipping/handling to get it to you.

reefpi-0001.JPG

reefpi-0001.JPG

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a year ago and a few months later I ordered a PCB to China, now I can have free time to assemble it, it's still not perfect, I tried to install 2 PCA, it works as I wish.

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-23 at 17.36.15.jpeg
Ohh,,, that’s super duper nice :) . Remind us again what all it can do ?

Soulreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh,,, that’s super duper nice :) . Remind us again what all it can do ?
oh brother. thanks. well later I will upload the process further. while there are still problems with the lighting settings. I use version 3rc0. the problem faced is that PWM does not work when it is set to auto, otherwise it works well when set manually

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,
I have cut another release candidate for the 3.0 series. The primary reason for this release candidate was to address pca9685 and lighting ui bug. I think this is the last pre release and unless any other serious bugs are reported I'll cut 3.0 release., which will be same as this release candidate, except some documentation/cosmetic changes.

• Here is the summary of changes in this release:
  • PCA9685 0 & 100 % incorrect behavior bug fix
  • Lighting ui mixed mode and duplicate channel bug fix
  • Internationalization: fix missing dutch translation
  • temperature controller upper threshold breach bug fix
  • allow editing driver name and address
  • "reef-pi db buckets" will list all available buckets

Builds are available from usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.0.0-rc1
If you are running pca9685 base Led controller, please help us testing this release. This is the last critical bug that I dont want in 3.0. I am not able to assess the impact of this bug due to my light (kessil) not showing any significant differences. I have double checked with scope and made one small change in the driver code which has made a very subtle change (detectable via scope) , but its not clear if this solved the bug or not, for those of you who encountered incorrect behavior at 0 or 100%.

thank you

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,
I have cut another release candidate for the 3.0 series. The primary reason for this release candidate was to address pca9685 and lighting ui bug. I think this is the last pre release and unless any other serious bugs are reported I'll cut 3.0 release., which will be same as this release candidate, except some documentation/cosmetic changes.

• Here is the summary of changes in this release:
  • PCA9685 0 & 100 % incorrect behavior bug fix
  • Lighting ui mixed mode and duplicate channel bug fix
  • Internationalization: fix missing dutch translation
  • temperature controller upper threshold breach bug fix
  • allow editing driver name and address
  • "reef-pi db buckets" will list all available buckets

Builds are available from usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.0.0-rc1
If you are running pca9685 base Led controller, please help us testing this release. This is the last critical bug that I dont want in 3.0. I am not able to assess the impact of this bug due to my light (kessil) not showing any significant differences. I have double checked with scope and made one small change in the driver code which has made a very subtle change (detectable via scope) , but its not clear if this solved the bug or not, for those of you who encountered incorrect behavior at 0 or 100%.

thank you

I'll download this & take it for a drive once I get home this evening. Held off on the previous release since there were already pages of bug reports before I could even download it, lol.

Back