reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would solve alot of issues that happen...if the hardware is good it makes troubleshooting much easier when someone new decides to build a reef-pi.
Yes.. And if you think from that perspective, these ds18b20 sensors are probably the most frequently encountered issue, and i am still thinking what we can improve from hardware side to make it more robust

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I have just cut another release candidate, reef-pi 3.0-rc0 . This is the first release candidate for 3.0, coming two weeks after 3.0 beta release. This means we have fixed all the critical bugs. And unless some new blockers found (serious bugs ) we are on our course for final release. This is mostly a bugfix release since 3.0 beta with some ui improvements for the light module. Here is a summary of changes, taken straight from the release page,

• bugfix: reef-pi db command argument processing
  • bugfix: jack remove ui was broken
  • feat: expose reversible option for macro (required for control target)
  • feat: light ui support for 3.0 api
  • feat: dutch translation
  • bugfix: temperature and ph chart current reading not showing
  • chore: log driver initialization errors
  • chore: improve internationalization coverage (connectors ui)
  • feat: use selectable pins for connectors based on driver types
  • bugfix: email to ui field under telemetry section does not accept user input

packages can be found in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.0.0-rc0

I need help. I am a Raspberry pi/linux nube and don't know how to install the rc0. i successfully used the get command and downloaded it but when I type sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-3.0.0-rc0-pi0.deb it comes back with an error saying its not a debian format archive. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help. I am a Raspberry pi/linux nube and don't know how to install the rc0. i successfully used the get command and downloaded it but when I type sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-3.0.0-rc0-pi0.deb it comes back with an error saying its not a debian format archive. Thanks in advance!
pi zero or 3? remove the file and try this (for zero):
Code:
wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/3.0.0-rc0/reef-pi-3.0.0-rc0-pi0.deb
sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-3.0.0-rc0-pi0.deb

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still having strange Adafruit feed / Temperature probe issues, and I wonder if they could be related.

I have 3 feeds showing up on AIO (System Load, System Memory and Cabinet Temp. These seem to be working as expected. Additional feeds show in AIO, but do not update.

2019-11-14.png

Then my "Cabinet Temp" and "Electronics Box Temp" are both set to take readings every 60 seconds, but produce very different graphs. I'm wondering why this is. They are both taking temperatures in air.

2019-11-14 (1).png

Finally, I have been wondering why Reef-Pi seems to always display a different time to my system time and if this could be related to the AIO feeds. Sometimes they are the same, then Reef-Pi seems to stay the same while time marches on in the real world.
2019-11-14 (2)_LI.jpg

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of optical style level sensors like the DS18B20. They're very useful for a fluid alarm, detecting fluids that shouldn't be there. Not so great for detecting dry situations. Too often that excess humidity keeps them wet, or crust builds up on them, and stuff like that.

Float switches are usually super-easy to deal with, as long as you aren't dealing with things that get foamy. But of course aren't easy to move/adjust once they're installed.

Lots of other options out there, but they get real expensive real quick when you start looking at capacitance, ultrasonic, or proximity type sensoring.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of optical style level sensors like the DS18B20. They're very useful for a fluid alarm, detecting fluids that shouldn't be there. Not so great for detecting dry situations. Too often that excess humidity keeps them wet, or crust builds up on them, and stuff like that.

Float switches are usually super-easy to deal with, as long as you aren't dealing with things that get foamy. But of course aren't easy to move/adjust once they're installed.

Lots of other options out there, but they get real expensive real quick when you start looking at capacitance, ultrasonic, or proximity type sensoring.
I work with alot of industrial controls and float switches are used 90 percent of the time because they are simple and reliable. The 10 percent of cases where they use something else is because its a special use case.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still having strange Adafruit feed / Temperature probe issues, and I wonder if they could be related.

I have 3 feeds showing up on AIO (System Load, System Memory and Cabinet Temp. These seem to be working as expected. Additional feeds show in AIO, but do not update.

2019-11-14.png

Then my "Cabinet Temp" and "Electronics Box Temp" are both set to take readings every 60 seconds, but produce very different graphs. I'm wondering why this is. They are both taking temperatures in air.

2019-11-14 (1).png

Finally, I have been wondering why Reef-Pi seems to always display a different time to my system time and if this could be related to the AIO feeds. Sometimes they are the same, then Reef-Pi seems to stay the same while time marches on in the real world.
2019-11-14 (2)_LI.jpg
See my build thread about adding a real time clock on the i2c bus. I get alot of power and internet blinks and the RTC keeps the system time where ita suppoaed to be. Otherwise raspian gets its time from the internet. Strange things happen in linux based systems if file time stamps get messed up.
The adafruit feeds are time stamped as well. Dont know what happens if they get messed up but that could be your problem.

The 2 temp graphs you showed could be normal...the temp in the box may stay steadier than your cabinet temp. I have 2 tank sensors and one for ambient air. The tank sensors are a very steady graph. My ambient air sensor picks up when the forced hot air furnace kicks on and off so its a jagged graph like the one you have on the left.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my build thread about adding a real time clock on the i2c bus. I get alot of power and internet blinks and the RTC keeps the system time where ita suppoaed to be. Otherwise raspian gets its time from the internet. Strange things happen in linux based systems if file time stamps get messed up.
The adafruit feeds are time stamped as well. Dont know what happens if they get messed up but that could be your problem.

The 2 temp graphs you showed could be normal...the temp in the box may stay steadier than your cabinet temp. I have 2 tank sensors and one for ambient air. The tank sensors are a very steady graph. My ambient air sensor picks up when the forced hot air furnace kicks on and off so its a jagged graph like the one you have on the left.

Cool

I found your thread and have found your post where you detail the install. I just don't see how you connected the DS3231 to the Hat. Help please?

I'm picking one up tomorrow, so will hopefully install over the weekend.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool

I found your thread and have found your post where you detail the install. I just don't see how you connected the DS3231 to the Hat. Help please?

I'm picking one up tomorrow, so will hopefully install over the weekend.
Are u using a mike lane hat? If so the ph1 and ph2 connectors could also be labeled i2c connectors...use one of those...the ds3231 board even has a feed thru so u dont lose the space

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u using a mike lane hat? If so the ph1 and ph2 connectors could also be labeled i2c connectors...use one of those...the ds3231 board even has a feed thru so u dont lose the space

Yes the Michael Lane Hat. OK. I'll use one of the PH ports.

"the ds3231 board even has a feed thru so u dont lose the space" *sigh* I wish I knew what that actually meant. I think it means that I could still plug a PH into the "out" pins on the DS3231 board, but I wouldn't try it without checking with someone first!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Michael Lane Hat. OK. I'll use one of the PH ports.

"the ds3231 board even has a feed thru so u dont lose the space" *sigh* I wish I knew what that actually meant. I think it means that I could still plug a PH into the "out" pins on the DS3231 board, but I wouldn't try it without checking with someone first!
Sorry, thats exactly what it means. Theres an in and an out port so you can plug a ph board into the ds3231. In fact thats what I did in my build so it works and is ok.

The i2c bus is an addressable communication bus. You can daisy chain many devices thru one connector.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me figure out why I'm getting these "invalid URL" messages? I'm still getting hardly any info through on AIO. Just the system stats and one of the temp probes.

01dcf100393891a9ede0ca461e50b5f3bba94aebb0.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me figure out why I'm getting these "invalid URL" messages? I'm still getting hardly any info through on AIO. Just the system stats and one of the temp probes.

01dcf100393891a9ede0ca461e50b5f3bba94aebb0.jpg
I think this is due to some naming issue. If the probe or sensor name has space or some special character , sometime that cause issue as reef-pi try to create a feed with exact name (which may not be allowed due to the space/special character). Clear the error , reload reef-pi and you should see error messages in the log about the feed creation issue .
Are you running multiple probe or atos? Careful with adafruit io usage, it has a limited feed and data logging rate in free tier

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is due to some naming issue. If the probe or sensor name has space or some special character , sometime that cause issue as reef-pi try to create a feed with exact name (which may not be allowed due to the space/special character). Clear the error , reload reef-pi and you should see error messages in the log about the feed creation issue .
Are you running multiple probe or atos? Careful with adafruit io usage, it has a limited feed and data logging rate in free tier

Thanks

I'll give that a try. I don't think the limitations of the AIO free account are an issue yet as these feeds have been an issue since I first set AIO up.

I am running 3 x temp probes and two names had spaces in them. I have changed that and reloaded and will see what happens.

And BINGO!!! Before I even finish typing this, the renamed feeds appear in AIO. I think it bears mentioning somewhere in the guides to be careful naming systems if you intend using AIO.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next issue is that as of this morning, two of my temp graphs don't show on my dashboard.

Not even after the rename and reload that sorted out the AIO thing. I get the pink box saying "Error":"stats for ID '6' not found error 404

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

I'll give that a try. I don't think the limitations of the AIO free account are an issue yet as these feeds have been an issue since I first set AIO up.

I am running 3 x temp probes and two names had spaces in them. I have changed that and reloaded and will see what happens.

And BINGO!!! Before I even finish typing this, the renamed feeds appear in AIO. I think it bears mentioning somewhere in the guides to be careful naming systems if you intend using AIO.
Can you share the old name that was not working ? I treat things like this as band reef-pi should either validate the name and reject or fix it by converting it to a compatible version

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next issue is that as of this morning, two of my temp graphs don't show on my dashboard.

Not even after the rename and reload that sorted out the AIO thing. I get the pink box saying "Error":"stats for ID '6' not found error 404
They are enabled and detected on the temperature tab ?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feedback. I wanted to leave the temp probes for a while to see it anything happened on it's own. Nothing did.

So I went to one (Electronics) and disabled it and then enabled it. 1 minute later (check frequency) it popped into the dashboard.

Repeated for Cabinet probe and that worked as well.

I hope this helps find the "bug" if it indeed is one. Or show me what my problem is.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back