reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

peejay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a relatively new set up, then I bet the 0 is from the time before readings were coming in. The reduced range is probably being used now because all of the readings are within your defined range. If you want the range to start at 0, you should be able to just set that as the minimum instead.
How would I do that? Bit of a noob here.

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it would be prudent to update to 3 this evening to try and resolve...now the whole things gone haywire.

im getting
{"error":"stats for id: '5' not found"} | HTTP 404
And on the connections tab it’s looking even worse. See screenshot. Could someone help?
Absolutely nothing works now not even turning equip on and off

39F30D26-6059-4F45-A61B-0FF20D9A6329.png A761A379-0C59-45F9-BBFE-30D2BECFC095.png
Update to the above. Have managed to downgrade to 2.5 which at least now has resolved my equipment working. So I guess 2 questions.
1. how does the ato work
2. What’s going wrong with my 3 install?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update to the above. Have managed to downgrade to 2.5 which at least now has resolved my equipment working. So I guess 2 questions.
1. how does the ato work
2. What’s going wrong with my 3 install?

Did you clear your config prior to the update and start clean? There were many changes in 3.0 which aren't compatible with 2.5.

You basically have to start fresh.

Alaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You don’t need the resistor. The hat uses the RPi’s interval resistors. I’m running perfectly with no resistors.
Thanks for reply,
As i understand it the HAT dose not use the Pi interval resistors,but he board already has a 220 ohm resistor inline with the GPIO. So referring to other mechanical FS diagrams we still need another 10 k resistor. it will work without it but can't grantee pi protection.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reply,
As i understand it the HAT dose not use the Pi interval resistors,but he board already has a 220 ohm resistor inline with the GPIO. So referring to other mechanical FS diagrams we still need another 10 k resistor. it will work without it but can't grantee pi protection.

Here’s a screenshot of my private conversation with @Michael Lane about the topic

F662E39F-0894-488C-8B28-28200D8F4E6D.png

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rpi has internal pull down resistor for these pins, so the additional resistor is not necessary unless you need a stronger pull down behavior.
1577634111182.png

The pull down is enabled by default, so adding a 10k pull down resistor would actually result in a 8.3k pull down since it creates parallel resistors.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW @Ranjib, since I've been doing Auto Water Changes, I have been wondering more and more about monitoring Salinity / SG / EC. Any idea if this could be incorporated into Reef-Pi? Is a reasonable probe / sensor even available?
Due to their high cost, frequent need of calibration and less usefulness (compared to other sensors) I have not tinkered with ec and orp probe.
That being said, I think the ezo ph driver will work as it is for orp and ec as far as reading goes. Calibration and rest needs to be done out of reef-pi using atlas scientific libraries

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to resolve the issue.

You removed the2.5 install (including config) and did a clean install of 3.0 and re-setup all drivers and re-added all connections/equipment/macros/timers from scratch and it's still giving you the same issue?

If that indeed is the case, which would be very strange, I would try do a clean install and add things one by one to isolate what's giving you an issue. But I have a sneaky suspicion that some remnants of 2.5 is coming back to haunt your 3.0 install.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You removed the2.5 install (including config) and did a clean install of 3.0 and re-setup all drivers and re-added all connections/equipment/macros/timers from scratch and it's still giving you the same issue?

If that indeed is the case, which would be very strange, I would try do a clean install and add things one by one to isolate what's giving you an issue. But I have a sneaky suspicion that some remnants of 2.5 is coming back to haunt your 3.0 install.

One of the things I love best about the pi is the SD card -- they're like old Nintendo cartridges, you can swap them back and forth endlessly.

When upgrading to a new version, or even making big changes, you can just use a new card to install/set up the new stuff, and if it fails, just boot off the old one.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the things I love best about the pi is the SD card -- they're like old Nintendo cartridges, you can swap them back and forth endlessly.

When upgrading to a new version, or even making big changes, you can just use a new card to install/set up the new stuff, and if it fails, just boot off the old one.

That's my approach as well.

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have three different sensors detected , but none of them are the one that you had configured. Remind us about your setup? Any build thread I can look at?
allright, I was out of town for a couple days after I got it working again. I now see the temp sensors aren't working, so by ssh I can get this:
$ ls /sys/bus/w1/devices
0e-43c84a9b6197 0e-83c80a9b6193 0e-83c84a9b6197 w1_bus_master1

errors reported in the browser:
Dec 25 15:41:30
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor temp 1. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0119123f5374/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Dec 28 20:24:05
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor temp 1. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0119123d9588/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Dec 28 20:24:29
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor temp 2. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0119123f5374/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Dec 28 20:24:25
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor temp 3. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-01191245a033/w1_slave: no such file or directory

it seems a bit random as to when it craps out. I'm thinking either it's bad sensors or bad soldering (on my part)...any other thoughts?

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anyone's interested, I've figured out how to remote into the raspi from (I think) anywhere in the world. You should be able to use realVNC or teamviewer (my preference for it's usability and my prior experience with it), probably others as well.

ssh into your pi (or use a keyboard/mouse), and:
  1. sudo raspi-config
  2. Interfacing options
  3. vnc
  4. enable
  5. boot options (3)
  6. Desktop/CLI (B1)
  7. Desktop Autologin (B4)
  8. Advanced Options (7)
  9. Resolution (A5)
  10. Pick one (I chose 1280x720 for now)
  11. Finish & allow reboot
download realvnc or teamviewer:
  1. sudo apt-get install realvnc-vnc-server
  2. go with it :)
or download/unpackaged teamviewer
  1. Make sure you have a teamviewer account (you should be able to get the free one unless your fish tank is a business...
  2. `wget https://download.teamviewer.com/download/linux/teamviewer-host_armhf.deb`
  3. `sudo dpkg -i teamviewer-host_armhf.deb`
  4. `sudo apt --fix-broken install (if there were errors during number 2)`
  5. `sudo teamviewer setup` (you'll log in to a teamviewer account
  6. make sure you're set up on some other computer/tablet/etc for teamviewer with the same account as above
  7. remote in!
That should be about it. If somebody else can try to repro this and finds some tweaks in what I wrote, please tell me and I'll edit this post!

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
allright, I was out of town for a couple days after I got it working again. I now see the temp sensors aren't working, so by ssh I can get this:
$ ls /sys/bus/w1/devices
0e-43c84a9b6197 0e-83c80a9b6193 0e-83c84a9b6197 w1_bus_master1

errors reported in the browser:
Dec 25 15:41:30
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor temp 1. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0119123f5374/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Dec 28 20:24:05
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor temp 1. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0119123d9588/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Dec 28 20:24:29
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor temp 2. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0119123f5374/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Dec 28 20:24:25
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor temp 3. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-01191245a033/w1_slave: no such file or directory

it seems a bit random as to when it craps out. I'm thinking either it's bad sensors or bad soldering (on my part)...any other thoughts?

It seems to be checking the wrong deviceId

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be checking the wrong deviceId
Yeah, the sensors configured in reef-pi are different from what has been detected. Either the sensor was changed or something is causing the sensors to have different address from before . If it’s later , check if it’s reproducible ( I.e. does those sensor Id remains same after reboot )

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anyone's interested, I've figured out how to remote into the raspi from (I think) anywhere in the world. You should be able to use realVNC or teamviewer (my preference for it's usability and my prior experience with it), probably others as well.

ssh into your pi (or use a keyboard/mouse), and:
  1. sudo raspi-config
  2. Interfacing options
  3. vnc
  4. enable
  5. boot options (3)
  6. Desktop/CLI (B1)
  7. Desktop Autologin (B4)
  8. Advanced Options (7)
  9. Resolution (A5)
  10. Pick one (I chose 1280x720 for now)
  11. Finish & allow reboot
download realvnc or teamviewer:
  1. sudo apt-get install realvnc-vnc-server
  2. go with it :)
or download/unpackaged teamviewer
  1. Make sure you have a teamviewer account (you should be able to get the free one unless your fish tank is a business...
  2. `wget https://download.teamviewer.com/download/linux/teamviewer-host_armhf.deb`
  3. `sudo dpkg -i teamviewer-host_armhf.deb`
  4. `sudo apt --fix-broken install (if there were errors during number 2)`
  5. `sudo teamviewer setup` (you'll log in to a teamviewer account
  6. make sure you're set up on some other computer/tablet/etc for teamviewer with the same account as above
  7. remote in!
That should be about it. If somebody else can try to repro this and finds some tweaks in what I wrote, please tell me and I'll edit this post!
I use google Wifi to selectively open reef-pi ( or ssh if needed) port for specific build and access the dashboard directly from normal browser , but using my static iP(Comcast) and the port that I have forwarded ( google WiFi) . It’s pretty light weight,

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility of expanding the I/O capacity by adding support for PCF8574 (I2C Digital I/O expander)?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 151 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 52 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back