reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
With nothing plugged in and no pull up/down resistors the raspberry pi input is "floating".

Its not grounded at 0 volts or pulled up to a voltage...therefore its floating in between. This explains the strange behavior you see.
So I guess a 2-wire float switch won't work then, since it does not provide any voltage?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Heh, and it looks like I've used all my 3.3v things on the goby board for temp probes:

2019-09-26T02-42-24.212Z-goby-front-annotated.jpg

I'll come back to this tomorrow, I guess.

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.
Use an ato connector hook up like the pic i posted only use the 5v on the ato connector in place of the 3.3v
sensorwiring.jpg
20200118_233723.jpg

Note to self:
I really need to get a good drawing app so I can draw stuff out quick on my phone.

Last edited:

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
You can connect the grounds from all power supplies together to provide a common groubd reference for all voltages in your build
Okay that's great to know. I was afraid to connect any 12v power to grounds connected to the board. I wasn't sure if they ran through anything vital, and if they that it might cause something to burn out.

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Okay that's great to know. I was afraid to connect any 12v power to grounds connected to the board. I wasn't sure if they ran through anything vital, and if they that it might cause something to burn out.
Yes all the grounds( the v- ) can all.be connected together as one common ground.
That way +5v from one power supply and +12v from another all work from the same 0v starting point.

Otherwise these voltages can "float" and may not work correctly across circuits connected to different power supplies.

Last edited:

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Lol, no. I have absolutely no idea how I wound up tagging the wrong persono_O I'm running on very little sleep this week dealing with the Kickstarter launch. Been getting about 3 hours of sleep less than usual each night.

You definitely won the drawing, @NeonRabbit221B . But hey, if @b4tn could use one too, it's on me. Sorry for the mix-up!
There was a drawing? Lol it’s kind of funny because I was telling my wife the other day that I never win anything. Which is funny because my last name is Fortune lol. So I have been entering everything lately and the only one I didn’t enter I won by mistake lol.
Congrats @NeonRabbit221B this board looks amazing. I plan on picking one of these up in the future to build a second reefpi for my new pico.

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
I hope I dont sound "preachy" or come across weirdly helping with the electrical questions. In a previous job I taught electrical theory at an accredited trade school. I wish i could answer some of these questions on a whiteboard with some good colored markers to explain stuff better.

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
There was a drawing? Lol it’s kind of funny because I was telling my wife the other day that I never win anything. Which is funny because my last name is Fortune lol. So I have been entering everything lately and the only one I didn’t enter I won by mistake lol.
Congrats @NeonRabbit221B this board looks amazing. I plan on picking one of these up in the future to build a second reefpi for my new pico.
The only drawings I ever win are ones where the prize is something I already have.

Enjoy the board! Do what I did...pay it forward. Use the new board and donate the old build to someone who needs it(unless you have 2 tanks of course.

I have a neighbor kid who saw my tank. Got very interested. He bugged his mom for a tank on his birthday and he got one. They dont have alot of money, so things I dont need and I know he needs on his aquarium keeping journey become my way of paying it forward. I replaced 3 canisters with a sump. I gave him a canister filter. The look in his eyes was worth waaaaay more than the 20 bucks i may have gotten on craigslist.

When I built my reef pi, I started my build on a protoboard and my wife bought me a @Michael Lane hat for Xmas. I finished my proto anyway and the kid has a working reef pi on 30 gallon tank. Hopefully he sticks with the hobby and it keeps him out of trouble.

It also helps get new additions past the spousal unit when I tell her im giving the old stuff to the neighbor boy...so WIN WIN!!!

Last edited:

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
So I guess a 2-wire float switch won't work then, since it does not provide any voltage?
Screenshot of discussion with @Michael Lane about using float switches with his Hat board. I have wired mine up with just the two wires and they work fine.

2020-01-19.png

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Screenshot of discussion with @Michael Lane about using float switches with his Hat board. I have wired mine up with just the two wires and they work fine.
huh, so I wonder why I’m getting random values back? I’ve verified that it happens on both ATO ports.

JHabig12

View Badges
Reaction score
Just want to say thanks to people that have contributed to these controllers and make this possible. I’m close to being done with my build. It has 8 controllable outlets, two temperature probes, and ato control. I have three dosing pumps on their way as well. Those will go below the outlets. I built the enclosure to house everything in one unit.

I did have one question though. Does anyone know a way to get two water level sensors to work together? Basically I would like to have one that turns the pump on to maintain the water level in the display tank, and a separate one that disables the pump if the reservoir runs empty. Each one works individually, but with both enabled they seem to fight each other. One is trying to turn the pump on and the other is trying to turn it off so it just cycles on and off rapidly. Does anyone know a workaround for this?
CE14699C-68A2-400B-8C37-52554631CE2F.jpeg
985E3ABD-45C0-4F1D-B9CB-266D259646E1.jpeg
F1F2C3B2-1F4E-4F42-978E-03923F185F71.jpeg

https://www.omegasea.net/

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just want to say thanks to people that have contributed to these controllers and make this possible. I’m close to being done with my build. It has 8 controllable outlets, two temperature probes, and ato control. I have three dosing pumps on their way as well. Those will go below the outlets. I built the enclosure to house everything in one unit.

I did have one question though. Does anyone know a way to get two water level sensors to work together? Basically I would like to have one that turns the pump on to maintain the water level in the display tank, and a separate one that disables the pump if the reservoir runs empty. Each one works individually, but with both enabled they seem to fight each other. One is trying to turn the pump on and the other is trying to turn it off so it just cycles on and off rapidly. Does anyone know a workaround for this?
woah!! I love everything about that. So clean! What is the box? Which hat are you using?

JHabig12

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks! I definitely read through your build and it helped me with mine. The hat on top is a wykat board, the one underneath is an Adafruit motor controller board I'm using for the dosing pumps.

I made the box using some 80/20 aluminum for the sides and hdpe plastic for the rest.

DirtDiggler2823

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Very clean. I like it!

crusso1993

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Slick looking build! Well done!

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys, just an update. Thanks for all the help.

Today I worked on my controller for a good part of the day and got all three of my jebao pumps hooked up to pwm controllers.

I have them running tonight, and tomorrow I'll start getting some better approximations for how to adjust them to properly meet my tanks requirements.

I also formated my SD card and started from scratch just in case there was any software glitches.

I'll keep updating on the progress, but so far, so good.

https://www.omegasea.net/

Do you think "petting your fish" is a good or bad idea?

• Good idea

Votes: 64 18.6%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 134 38.8%
  • Not sure but in for the comments...

Votes: 147 42.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors