reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Ranjib tried what you posted above and it seemed to have worked. Definitely fixed the historical graph, however it's still using the 0-12 scale so small changes (in 0.XX's) are hard to see.

Is there a way to force 5-10 range? Or did I miss something?... Which is possible because of the wall of text I had to wade through. I tried installing the jd command which seemed to have installed but said unknown command when I tried to use it, so I used the the one in Step 3, thus the wall of text haha. I may look at it later.

Screenshot_20200202-093108_Brave.jpg

In other news, I think one of the relays for my outlet had failed. I was doing a WC yesterday and accidentally double tapped the on/off/on on my return outlet and it got "stuck". The outlet defaults to normally on so it still works but it no longer actuates on/off (no audible clock). Might be time to grab a TPlink powerstrip.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if anyone has this issue buried in this thread somewhere, but I can't seem to get anything but HW health (CPU/MEM) to display on the dashboard. I started with a blank SD card last night, installed the latest Raspbian build, updated, then installed reef-pi 3.1. My temp probes and pH probe are showing up and reading correctly, and I can see the graphs if I go to each page, but for whatever reason they won't show on the dashboard. They all show up as options on the dashboard configuration page and I am able to select each one. I have it set for 2 x 2 with Health, pH, Temp 1, Temp 2.

2020-02-02-131142_1920x1080_scrot.png
2020-02-02-131154_1920x1080_scrot.png

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure if anyone has this issue buried in this thread somewhere, but I can't seem to get anything but HW health (CPU/MEM) to display on the dashboard. I started with a blank SD card last night, installed the latest Raspbian build, updated, then installed reef-pi 3.1. My temp probes and pH probe are showing up and reading correctly, and I can see the graphs if I go to each page, but for whatever reason they won't show on the dashboard. They all show up as options on the dashboard configuration page and I am able to select each one. I have it set for 2 x 2 with Health, pH, Temp 1, Temp 2.

Its a known bug in 3.1. You can wait on the next build or roll back to 3.0 if you need the dashboard.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m waiting on my dosing pump and power supply to arrive this week before moving on with my build, but one thing I’m on the fence on still is power control. I was originally planning on going the relay route, but with the added support for the tp link smart strips I’m thinking of giving that a try. Before I order the kasa hs300 I was wondering if anyone else is relying on one of those with reef pi already? Just curious to know if anyone is seeing it drop in and out, go off and do it’s own thing and release skynet, etc.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m waiting on my dosing pump and power supply to arrive this week before moving on with my build, but one thing I’m on the fence on still is power control. I was originally planning on going the relay route, but with the added support for the tp link smart strips I’m thinking of giving that a try. Before I order the kasa hs300 I was wondering if anyone else is relying on one of those with reef pi already? Just curious to know if anyone is seeing it drop in and out, go off and do it’s own thing and release skynet, etc.
I dont know of anyone. I am using it for almost two months now, without any issue., I run google wifi (mesh) with a dedicated ssid for all my iot stuff. I still netwok outage frequently, thanks to comcast and google wifi design (that takes local network down everytime it loses connection with motherhsip). So far i have not encountered any big issues. I do get sporadic errors on current reading (heater outlet current is modeled as a ph probe :) ).

mrlqqe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys,

I have a Temperature-, pH- and EC-Probe hooked up to a Whitebox Tentacle T3 Shield for my raspi4. The Shield uses Atlas Scientific Chips (EZO-RTD, EZO-pH, EZO-EC). Does anybody know, if its possible to implement/use those sensors with reef-pi?
I was kinda hoping so, because it didn't seem to far fetched, with EZO-pH being used in the tutorial. I've already tried it with the temperature probe (ezo-rtd) only, but couldn't get it to work. It probably does work with the pH, at least, which I will try later today. But yeah, i think i have to look for another solution, when i can't get it running with a all probes/sensors.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I have just published 3.2 release builds. Its pretty small change, primarily fixing the dashboard issue. Due to a bug in 3.1/3.0, you may have to reconfigure the dashboard again via UI. Data and rest everything should not be impacted. Its exclusively UI related issue.
Release builds can be found in the usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.2

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just published 3.2 with a bugfix to address this specific issue. Sorry for the trouble.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just published 3.2 with a bugfix to address this specific issue. Sorry for the trouble.
No worries, and if anyone makes you feel the need to apologize for providing this amazing tool for free, well they can go eat a bag of (insert unpleasantries of your choice)

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know of anyone. I am using it for almost two months now, without any issue., I run google wifi (mesh) with a dedicated ssid for all my iot stuff. I still netwok outage frequently, thanks to comcast and google wifi design (that takes local network down everytime it loses connection with motherhsip). So far i have not encountered any big issues. I do get sporadic errors on current reading (heater outlet current is modeled as a ph probe :) ).
So even hosting on a dedicated LAN sees network drops? Is that drops between the pi and outlet or drops between the outlet an googles servers? In all honesty, I don’t think I’d really care if it ever reached out to google or amazon successfully as long as it maintained a solid connection to the pi in a closed LAN. I see the possibility of having a separate programmed routine for life support function should the pi drop out as a massive leg up on the traditional relay bar.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,
I have just published 3.2 release builds. Its pretty small change, primarily fixing the dashboard issue. Due to a bug in 3.1/3.0, you may have to reconfigure the dashboard again via UI. Data and rest everything should not be impacted. Its exclusively UI related issue.
Release builds can be found in the usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.2

Working great! Thank you for the hard work!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even hosting on a dedicated LAN sees network drops? Is that drops between the pi and outlet or drops between the outlet an googles servers? In all honesty, I don’t think I’d really care if it ever reached out to google or amazon successfully as long as it maintained a solid connection to the pi in a closed LAN. I see the possibility of having a separate programmed routine for life support function should the pi drop out as a massive leg up on the traditional relay bar.
Yeah, this is a nasty problem with google Wifi. Where it drops local lan when cloud connectivity is gone,. This is specific to the google WiFi, I bet it will be fine with other router based setup.
Pi or reef-pi does not have much to do with your home network stability, it’s really yours isp (when using their setup) or your own setup (when setting up additional WiFi ssid with separate router).

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in process of slowly tearing down the current infrastructure (a word we use at job to describe the entire server fleet) of my home . Around 11 different pi’s are dedicated for different purposes at current place. 5 of them are reef-pi, rest are used for home assistant , octo pi (3D printer) , chu chu pi (model railroad ) etc. here’s a rundown of charts from the existing fleet of reef-pi.

I have a pi zero with only a single temperature sensor in my apartment patio . It gives outside temperature measurement and can act as a backup controller for all smart outlet related setup. I call it balcony (hostname) . All reef-pi builds are deployed here first.

F6F39AE6-6F02-492A-A9FC-81925FEDA4D1.png

I have another pi controlling all my garage equipment , stuff like oscilloscope, small refrigerator, various other equipment . It’s Adj powerstrip based and similar to the balcony setup not connected to any tank . Release builds are deployed here after the balcony
9D0B783D-E21D-42DB-8527-95641D0C7DD5.png

Next is my first dev tank setup. It’s a pico tank powered by hs300 with all the Essential reef-pi modules (ato, temp , ph etc). This is the first setup with tank where reef-pi new releases are installed.
97B0490C-3924-43DB-B0D9-277F551BE264.png

Next is two are my real reef tanks located in our living room , my mixed reef pico tank controller ,

A9119F4B-D921-4072-B538-6517A5D88051.png

And my biocube29
44AE7EC6-12B4-45F2-B835-17765F73C07F.png

These have served me well. Recently I configure macros to facilitate water change in each of them. Nano (biocube29 ) has more equipment (e.g, skimmer ) than the pico
39C52505-EBD5-4F5E-BE99-7D02088C8618.png

Pico water change macro
2BFF8BB4-35EE-498E-8762-F39AAE1CBD6B.png

Just thought I’ll share this with you all and also keep a record of reef-pi 3.0 in action. I can look back in future and ponder about how far we have come ;-)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about internet dropout, here is how it looks on the long term chart (from my metrics setup, grafana/Prometheus). This chart shows last three months data . You can notice the network drop out as distinct bands with no data.
0BEB6E19-3693-4A6B-9A4F-7FECE511430C.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was briefly talking about hs300 and it’s current monitoring capabilities, here is the chart of the current draw by heater (from garage pico tank). The hs300 driver exposes 6 outlet and 6 analog input , each represent current draw from corresponding outlet. I use the heater related analog input to setup a fake ph probe.
I am yet to do the math an apply calibration , the heater is rated for 50 watts , if I recall correctly

0C8EE563-7259-4486-8C2C-B172E9152904.png

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about internet dropout, here is how it looks on the long term chart (from my metrics setup, grafana/Prometheus). This chart shows last three months data . You can notice the network drop out as distinct bands with no data.
0BEB6E19-3693-4A6B-9A4F-7FECE511430C.png
I think I may give the HS300 a shot. I've got a pretty reliable setup at home and zoned out my APs so nothing really drops. I've had the ISP go down on me a few times over the last year, but my LAN side doesn't skip a beat.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insert dramatic music.....

IMG_20200203_190336.jpg

It has begun, probably going to be the slowest build ever but we are on our way, would like to have been around but a lot of life/health stuff showed up and side tracked me for awhile. I will be starting a build thread but have so much to learn and figure out yet. I am reading boatloads and trying to figure out a good path, will be a nano 29g with a 20l sump. I have been lazy this time and purchased all the reef-pi hat stuff from Michael Lane, currently its all in my holding spot (the sump tank) until I get a lot further down the road.

Glad things are still chugging along...wooo hooo!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back