reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use a number in the day box
1=Monday
2=Tuesday etc

A830DE2B-6E8D-4CA0-9803-48004566BBD5.png

Can we input multiple days?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we get if-then-else statements for the macros that take sensor data and equipment statuses as parameters? Or are the different subsystems too dissimilar under the hood?

Could have a wide range of applications, from custom alerts, to automated fallback procedures in case of emergencies like a floor water sensor tripping or a power outage being sensed somehow, maybe even regulating different reactors without having to code an entire subsystem for each one-off application.

Unless it already exists somewhere and i am too stupid to see it?

I agree that this would be handy and is basically how ATO, Temp and pH control work.

Maybe add the idea as a post on the UI Thread

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we get if-then-else statements for the macros that take sensor data and equipment statuses as parameters? Or are the different subsystems too dissimilar under the hood?

Could have a wide range of applications, from custom alerts, to automated fallback procedures in case of emergencies like a floor water sensor tripping or a power outage being sensed somehow, maybe even regulating different reactors without having to code an entire subsystem for each one-off application.

Unless it already exists somewhere and i am too stupid to see it?
reef-pi will not have DSL (domain specific language) like Apex. The if/else/then like construct are exposed via ATO (binary sensor) and temperature/ph (analog sensor). reef-pi will allow seamless integration of those modules with macro (linear steps with reversible execution). DSL require more work and exposes arbitrary workflows that are very hard to diagnose when things go wrong.
reef-pi has API, and that you can use to directly program anything that reef-pi may not be able to do easily.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I had the temp probe / calibration / loose wire issue. Personally I don't think it was a bad connection issue, as unplugging one probe and replugging it caused all 3 temp readings to immediately re-appear - but I could be wrong - it just doesn't feel right.

Last night I went to feed - I have a "Feed" Macro that turns off pumps, skimmer etc for certain durations and then back on to minimise uneaten food. Every time I hit the Macro, I would get the "Fatal Error" like below.
2020-01-30.png

I thought it was WiFi related, so waited a while and tried various devices and all the same thing. Then I discovered that I could go to the equipment tab and control individual equipment directly without getting the error. Try "Feed" macro again, same error. Try run other macros, no error.

Obviously sleeping on this problem has led to an epiphany, because within minutes of waking up this morning, I remembered something. Step one in my "Feed" macro is to turn temperature control off. Yesterday's temp probe issue had me delete my main temp control and re-configure it - renaming it in the process. This made the macro point to a temp control that doesn't exist any more. I fixed the macro by telling it the correct temp control and problem solved.

So the issue was entirely of my own making, but maybe a more relevant error message would make it easier for people to troubleshoot the issue when faced with a similar mistake.
We have to do much better job at validation on reef-pi side. Currently only outlet deletion are validated. Across the board connectors , drivers , modules (temperature, ph, light , etc) all components must validate zero dependency before deletion. In absence of this , users are prone to get into inconsistent state leading to a lot of issues. That’s not acceptable , I’ll make sure we get this in 3.x series .

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have to do much better job at validation on reef-pi side. Currently only outlet deletion are validated. Across the board connectors , drivers , modules (temperature, ph, light , etc) all components must validate zero dependency before deletion. In absence of this , users are prone to get into inconsistent state leading to a lot of issues. That’s not acceptable , I’ll make sure we get this in 3.x series .

Yeah. Sometimes I feel bad for only seeming to talk about "problems" on this thread - I can't really "fix" anything in reef-pi myself. But I understand that you guys need the feedback / information. Nothing you can do about something if it isn't reported.

I'm just thankful that there are you guys that are doing the work in the background to constantly make it better. One step at a time.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in this forum and in this thread helped me so much with my reef pi. I use it to control my doser and its given me so much more convenience than I had before with even more accuracy then I could've imagined.

I upgraded my doser to reef pi from a jebao master doser. The jebao allowed me to change my dose by 1 ml/day, but in doing so I had to get under my tank and reconfigure the whole schedule, hour by hour in order to get an even disbursement throughout the day.

Now I can log in in my phone and increase by small increments, even just 1 or 2 percent/dose, or adding a fraction of a second to each dose.

So simple and it's giving me a level of accuracy that I didn't even consider. I'm close to having it perfectly dialed in at this point. I think within a few days I'll have no noticeable fluctuation

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slight problem, my reef pi was running perfectly for quite a while, I recently noticed that the calcium had stopped dosing, despite being programmed correctly, also my main temperature sensor whilst working was displaying weird numbers.

So I decided to run the update from 2.3 to 3.0, the dosers didn't work at all and one temperature sensor went off line.

So I went back to the updated 2.3 isn't available for uploading, so I tried 2.5 dosers are working now, though my calcium dosers LED is dimly illuminated full time. Now non of my temperature sensors are working at all.

Any suggestions?
Screenshot_2020-01-31-20-17-16-973_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2020-01-31-20-10-37-916_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2020-01-31-19-54-00-247_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2020-01-31-19-53-50-059_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2020-01-31-20-14-21-548_com.android.chrome.jpg

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slight problem, my reef pi was running perfectly for quite a while, I recently noticed that the calcium had stopped dosing, despite being programmed correctly, also my main temperature sensor whilst working was displaying weird numbers.

So I decided to run the update from 2.3 to 3.0, the dosers didn't work at all and one temperature sensor went off line.

So I went back to the updated 2.3 isn't available for uploading, so I tried 2.5 dosers are working now, though my calcium dosers LED is dimly illuminated full time. Now non of my temperature sensors are working at all.

Any suggestions?
Screenshot_2020-01-31-19-54-00-247_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2020-01-31-19-53-50-059_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2020-01-31-20-14-21-548_com.android.chrome.jpg

You have to clear the db and rebuild the programming.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it when you get home. It's going to completely wipe the reef-pi, including any login information.

Ok, I've done it and installed 3.0, got the temperature sensors working, it's late now and I'm too tired to figure anything else out. Lots of things not running right now! Something's in my notes aren't making sense, so I'll need to open everything up tomorrow.

Quick question, do I need to reconfigure everything from the console again?

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've done it and installed 3.0, got the temperature sensors working, it's late now and I'm too tired to figure anything else out. Lots of things not running right now! Something's in my notes aren't making sense, so I'll need to open everything up tomorrow.

Quick question, do I need to reconfigure everything from the console again?

I don't believe so. You should be doing all your work in the reef-pi user interface.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
second post... first question:
Is it possible to connect the BS18B20 temperature sensor to the raspberry? which jumpers?

The DS18B20 connects to the Raspberry Pi using 3 of the pins: 3.3V (pin #1, top left. Only pin with a square solder pad on the back), ground (pin # 6, 9, 14, 20, 25, 30, 34, or 39, just pick one), & any of the GPIO pins. You only have to use one GPIO pin to connect as many sensors as you want, as they use the 1-wire interface.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back