reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! One question, in addition to ph board on tindie, I bougt cheap analog arduino ph board with another ph probe, mainly because ph probe was cheep vs my milwakee probe I have. So question is can I convert analog ph signal with mcp3008 and is it supported or not? If this wont work I will just test new probe. I like the idea of using on probe in ca reactor and another in the tank.. for now I use milwakee ph controller and german on off switch with it. 2 years, no problems. It would be great to see how many times co2 valve is open and closed during 24 hours and ph swings in a reactor. Thanks!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! One question, in addition to ph board on tindie, I bougt cheap analog arduino ph board with another ph probe, mainly because ph probe was cheep vs my milwakee probe I have. So question is can I convert analog ph signal with mcp3008 and is it supported or not? If this wont work I will just test new probe. I like the idea of using on probe in ca reactor and another in the tank.. for now I use milwakee ph controller and german on off switch with it. 2 years, no problems. It would be great to see how many times co2 valve is open and closed during 24 hours and ph swings in a reactor. Thanks!
You wont be able to do it out of the box. We have to provide a analog driver for SPI based mcp3008 ADC.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I set the timer to initiate a macro on a certain day of the week, at a certain time? Trying to have my skimmer shut down when I have my doser going.

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help !

I am having trouble getting the dashboard to work. It will not save configuration.
I have used Version 3.1 and 2.5. I configure the dashboard and it will not display or keep settings.

I use two temperature sensors and the ATO, PH. This has just started. I have loaded new SD cards with noobs and started from scratch. Still no luck. I use a Pi 3 B+.

I know there are patches for the dashboard but I can not figure out how to use or install them. I have been using team viewer to remote in and change settings.

I am stuck !

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help !

I am having trouble getting the dashboard to work. It will not save configuration.
I have used Version 3.1 and 2.5. I configure the dashboard and it will not display or keep settings.

I use two temperature sensors and the ATO, PH. This has just started. I have loaded new SD cards with noobs and started from scratch. Still no luck. I use a Pi 3 B+.

I know there are patches for the dashboard but I can not figure out how to use or install them. I have been using team viewer to remote in and change settings.

I am stuck !

What errors are you getting?

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What errors are you getting?
Not so much as errors it just will not keep the dashboard settings. I set up the dashboard settings like temp, ph ATO, then hit update, then go dashboard and it will be blank. If I go into the temp settings edit it shows the line.
Also one of the temp graphs goes from 72 degrees to 185 degrees. So I have just a flat green line.
Strange part is this all use to work just fine. Its just the dashboard. I hit update no errors then go to dashboard and it is not showing temps, ATO, equipment. It will show health status if I set that up.

Thanks !

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help !

I am stuck !

There's currently a dashboard bug in the latest release that the Devs are working hard at fixing. I'm experiencing the same things as you. Either go back to a previous version, or wait for the patch / next release.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I had the temp probe / calibration / loose wire issue. Personally I don't think it was a bad connection issue, as unplugging one probe and replugging it caused all 3 temp readings to immediately re-appear - but I could be wrong - it just doesn't feel right.

Last night I went to feed - I have a "Feed" Macro that turns off pumps, skimmer etc for certain durations and then back on to minimise uneaten food. Every time I hit the Macro, I would get the "Fatal Error" like below.
2020-01-30.png

I thought it was WiFi related, so waited a while and tried various devices and all the same thing. Then I discovered that I could go to the equipment tab and control individual equipment directly without getting the error. Try "Feed" macro again, same error. Try run other macros, no error.

Obviously sleeping on this problem has led to an epiphany, because within minutes of waking up this morning, I remembered something. Step one in my "Feed" macro is to turn temperature control off. Yesterday's temp probe issue had me delete my main temp control and re-configure it - renaming it in the process. This made the macro point to a temp control that doesn't exist any more. I fixed the macro by telling it the correct temp control and problem solved.

So the issue was entirely of my own making, but maybe a more relevant error message would make it easier for people to troubleshoot the issue when faced with a similar mistake.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I set the timer to initiate a macro on a certain day of the week, at a certain time? Trying to have my skimmer shut down when I have my doser going.

From @Des Westcott 's most recent post below, it sounds like he has a "feed" macro that accomplishes what you're looking to do with your skimmer @DirtDiggler2823 . Maybe he can help you out.

Yesterday I had the temp probe / calibration / loose wire issue. Personally I don't think it was a bad connection issue, as unplugging one probe and replugging it caused all 3 temp readings to immediately re-appear - but I could be wrong - it just doesn't feel right.

Last night I went to feed - I have a "Feed" Macro that turns off pumps, skimmer etc for certain durations and then back on to minimise uneaten food. Every time I hit the Macro, I would get the "Fatal Error" like below.
2020-01-30.png

I thought it was WiFi related, so waited a while and tried various devices and all the same thing. Then I discovered that I could go to the equipment tab and control individual equipment directly without getting the error. Try "Feed" macro again, same error. Try run other macros, no error.

Obviously sleeping on this problem has led to an epiphany, because within minutes of waking up this morning, I remembered something. Step one in my "Feed" macro is to turn temperature control off. Yesterday's temp probe issue had me delete my main temp control and re-configure it - renaming it in the process. This made the macro point to a temp control that doesn't exist any more. I fixed the macro by telling it the correct temp control and problem solved.

So the issue was entirely of my own making, but maybe a more relevant error message would make it easier for people to troubleshoot the issue when faced with a similar mistake.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From @Des Westcott 's most recent post below, it sounds like he has a "feed" macro that accomplishes what you're looking to do with your skimmer @DirtDiggler2823 . Maybe he can help you out.

Actually my "Feed" macro is manually actuated as I don't feed at exactly the same time every day.

BUT I have been trying to get a macro to actuate on a timer and failing, but made a breakthrough just today. I got the timer and macro combination to work simply by making the macro to be triggered reversible. It's one of the first options when setting up a macro.

For more info on getting a timer to trigger at a certain time, Google "Cron cheat sheets" and you'll find lots of info on using the timer in reef-pi.

Here's one that helped me

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually my "Feed" macro is manually actuated as I don't feed at exactly the same time every day.

BUT I have been trying to get a macro to actuate on a timer and failing, but made a breakthrough just today. I got the timer and macro combination to work simply by making the macro to be triggered reversible. It's one of the first options when setting up a macro.

For more info on getting a timer to trigger at a certain time, Google "Cron cheat sheets" and you'll find lots of info on using the timer in reef-pi.

Here's one that helped me
I manually trigger my feeding macros as well, but this is for dosing. Trying to designate certain days of the week for the timer to trigger. Right now I have it set for every day, even though I'm not dosing every day.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manually trigger my feeding macros as well, but this is for dosing. Trying to designate certain days of the week for the timer to trigger. Right now I have it set for every day, even though I'm not dosing every day.

In that case I would write a macro that handles the turning off of equipment, maybe waiting, dosing and then turning back on. I'd then use a timer to run the macro. The cron variables in the timer configuration will dictate how often the macro runs and the macro will control what happens.

The timer variables are actually very powerful and you can easily set them up to run x times a day or every x hours/ minutes .

Well maybe not easily, depending how you get your head around the Cron syntax, but it is doable

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the dosing module is basically just a Cron job at its heart
The doser isn't tied to the reef-pi, and I've built the macro to shut down and restart the skimmer. I just can't choose which days of the week it will run.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we get if-then-else statements for the macros that take sensor data and equipment statuses as parameters? Or are the different subsystems too dissimilar under the hood?

Could have a wide range of applications, from custom alerts, to automated fallback procedures in case of emergencies like a floor water sensor tripping or a power outage being sensed somehow, maybe even regulating different reactors without having to code an entire subsystem for each one-off application.

Unless it already exists somewhere and i am too stupid to see it?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back