reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
What two point of calibration are people using? 4/7, 7/10, 4/10?

My thought was 7/10 since where the typical range falls for reef tanks.
Perfect
Because im right aroynd 6.8 to 7 ph i tested all 3 points and didnt see a difference enough to worry about between testing at 3 points and testing at 2. Youd be fine to do 7 and 10 on a reef tank

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Not needed!!!
It is close enough with 2 point cal.
3 point cal is lab grade stuff...and calculating slope on 2 point vs 3 point is almost pointless for the accuracy gained.

The only way 3 point would be needed is if you buy lab grave probles

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
Not needed!!!
It is close enough with 2 point cal.
3 point cal is lab grade stuff...and calculating slope on 2 point vs 3 point is almost pointless for the accuracy gained.

The only way 3 point would be needed is if you buy lab grave probles
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I didn't mind it disappearing which is why I hadn't asked before. I figured that the slope would be relatively linear. Just thought I'd ask while the thread was on the topic :)

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I didn't mind it disappearing which is why I hadn't asked before. I figured that the slope would be relatively linear. Just thought I'd ask while the thread was on the topic :)
No prob...the slope is very linear...the only real diifference is the offset per probe

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think the pi B has different gpio drivers than recent models so it won't work. You can get pi zero w for $10. Less power more compact.
Pi b will work just fine. Instead of pi 3 build use the pi zero build. It’s based on arm6 architecture, that’s all . Let me know if it does not work , I’ll check it out. But I personally tested once and all pi zero build will work on pi b

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Speaking of pH calibration, what ever happened to the 3-point option, @Ranjib ?
Seconding what @Bigtrout mentioned. After reading through some docs I felt it’s not required. If you encounter evidences that indicate otherwise, please share , I’m happy to do the right things

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does anybody know if reef pi works with a Raspberry pi B rev2? I can get the web GUI running but none of the IO work. Not even test LEDs.
Do you have a build thread. We’ll need details including your setup and test circuit etc. please start a thread with the details that we can read through and answer.

AbjectMaelstroM

View Badges
Reaction score
Took a peek at the ph reading this morning and looks like there was a pretty big (or at least looks big) drop, about 500-600 points on the raw reading scale. Broke out the red sea test kit and it kinda looks like 8.0 so about 0.2 drop overnight.

Interesting to see if it climbs back up throughout the day. Kinda looks like it's already starting to climb.

Screenshot_20200126-084049.jpg

DirtDiggler2823

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Took a peek at the ph reading this morning and looks like there was a pretty big (or at least looks big) drop, about 500-600 points on the raw reading scale. Broke out the red sea test kit and it kinda looks like 8.0 so about 0.2 drop overnight.

Interesting to see if it climbs back up throughout the day. Kinda looks like it's already starting to climb.

Screenshot_20200126-084049.jpg
Looks like your pH went up

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Looks like your pH went up
I was going to say the same. The more negative the number the HIGHER the ph

Dont know the mechanics of a reef tank but in my FW planted my ph peaks during the day when the plants are using co2 making the water more alkaline. Then it falls to the lowest point at night when the plants quit using co2 and co2 levels rise causing the watet to get more acid.

There is definitely a small ph swing in a reef tank too. Maybe someone could chime in but that small of a swing seems normal. That graph looks pretty good. Get your calibration packets and calibrate it!

My probe has been very accurate so far.

skywurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Pi b will work just fine. Instead of pi 3 build use the pi zero build. It’s based on arm6 architecture, that’s all . Let me know if it does not work , I’ll check it out. But I personally tested once and all pi zero build will work on pi b
I stand corrected. You rock @Ranjib !

Top Shelf Aquatics

crusso1993

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Noopsyche lights to their reef-pi yet? If so, what cables did you have to build? Looking at getting some soon and I'd love to tie them into my controller.
To the best of my knowledge no one has implemented using reef-pi with Noopsyche lights yet.

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge no one has implemented using reef-pi with Noopsyche lights yet.
I talked to a guy at my LFS yesterday about them. It can't be that difficult to implement, but it would definitely require some surgery, like the Aqua Mars, so someone could figure out what control signal they use.

crusso1993

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I talked to a guy at my LFS yesterday about them. It can't be that difficult to implement, but it would definitely require some surgery, like the Aqua Mars, so someone could figure out what control signal they use.
I do recall that several of the users of Noopsyches were going to develop a phone app for control because they were having issues with the supplied controller. FWIW - not that it would necessarily have an effect, or not, but I seem to recall that the bluetooth architecture in the units is old technology. It made developing a functional app a moot point.