reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a peek at the ph reading this morning and looks like there was a pretty big (or at least looks big) drop, about 500-600 points on the raw reading scale. Broke out the red sea test kit and it kinda looks like 8.0 so about 0.2 drop overnight.

Interesting to see if it climbs back up throughout the day. Kinda looks like it's already starting to climb.

Screenshot_20200126-084049.jpg
Looks like your pH went up

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your pH went up
I was going to say the same. The more negative the number the HIGHER the ph

Dont know the mechanics of a reef tank but in my FW planted my ph peaks during the day when the plants are using co2 making the water more alkaline. Then it falls to the lowest point at night when the plants quit using co2 and co2 levels rise causing the watet to get more acid.

There is definitely a small ph swing in a reef tank too. Maybe someone could chime in but that small of a swing seems normal. That graph looks pretty good. Get your calibration packets and calibrate it!

My probe has been very accurate so far.

skywurz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pi b will work just fine. Instead of pi 3 build use the pi zero build. It’s based on arm6 architecture, that’s all . Let me know if it does not work , I’ll check it out. But I personally tested once and all pi zero build will work on pi b
I stand corrected. You rock @Ranjib !

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the Noopsyche lights to their reef-pi yet? If so, what cables did you have to build? Looking at getting some soon and I'd love to tie them into my controller.

To the best of my knowledge no one has implemented using reef-pi with Noopsyche lights yet.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the best of my knowledge no one has implemented using reef-pi with Noopsyche lights yet.

I talked to a guy at my LFS yesterday about them. It can't be that difficult to implement, but it would definitely require some surgery, like the Aqua Mars, so someone could figure out what control signal they use.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to a guy at my LFS yesterday about them. It can't be that difficult to implement, but it would definitely require some surgery, like the Aqua Mars, so someone could figure out what control signal they use.

I do recall that several of the users of Noopsyches were going to develop a phone app for control because they were having issues with the supplied controller. FWIW - not that it would necessarily have an effect, or not, but I seem to recall that the bluetooth architecture in the units is old technology. It made developing a functional app a moot point.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting if it can be done, if not wireless, then with an umbilical cord to the pi. From what I know about the lights, they're quite good for the price.... The only weakness being a rather janky remote.

I am in complete areement.

Ryan Turner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
anyone else having issues with the dashboard not showing the graphs or remembering what was there? in config it shows the rows and columns but not what was suppose to be there. I did a fresh install of everything on a sd card to make sure it wasnt something I did. any ideas?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the Noopsyche lights to their reef-pi yet? If so, what cables did you have to build? Looking at getting some soon and I'd love to tie them into my controller.
I wanted to, but got busy with other things. Its a wifi based control system from my preliminary investigation. I like the light, but its current control system makes it least desired, so having a reef-pi integration will really help a lot of people. But i dont know when I;ll get to work on it, im currently tied up with all sorts of house purchasing work..its very involved and stress full process, to say the least :-/

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to, but got busy with other things. Its a wifi based control system from my preliminary investigation. I like the light, but its current control system makes it least desired, so having a reef-pi integration will really help a lot of people. But i dont know when I;ll get to work on it, im currently tied up with all sorts of house purchasing work..its very involved and stress full process, to say the least :-/

No rush. Please get yourself and your family settled. We can wait.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a way to reset the graph scale without deleting and re-making a probe (pH) ?

I got my ph probe calibrated but it still has the raw value scale in the 1000s....makes it hard to see variations now that it's reading 8.35 lol. Now I don't want to delete the probe and make a new one because I don't have any more calibration packets....and I'm assuming once probe is deleted the calibration goes with it.

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay...reversible macros... @Ranjib
My ato gets a bit absurd if I leave it active all the time (I have an off the shelf ATO plugged into my ADJ strip), so I have it on a timer so it activates every hour for 30 seconds (the pump usually runs for 5-15 seconds of that; until the optical sensor gets wet).
But if the ATO timer powers on the ATO while the return off, it can, under certain conditions, mean the ATO tube is submerged and pulls a siphon because the ATO always turns on the pump for a second or two when it gains power.
So I have a macro called 'return off' that seems like it should be reversible, but I can't quite work out the logic.
I have it do this:
1. turn off the return pump outlet
2. turn off the ATO timer
3. turn off the ATO outlet (in case it was on when the macro started)

But this, when run in reverse, leaves the ATO outlet on (until the timer runs again and turns it off), which isn't really ideal. Is there a way to make sure the outlet is always off on any execution (forward or reverse) of a macro?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone else having issues with the dashboard not showing the graphs or remembering what was there? in config it shows the rows and columns but not what was suppose to be there. I did a fresh install of everything on a sd card to make sure it wasnt something I did. any ideas?
3.1 has a bug that i am working on to finish, i have a fix halfway done, but due to some circumstances have not been able to ship it till now..

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Family and house first, as always!

Sending good vibes.

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to play with Macros but not much luck. Not sure if this type of logic is supported yet .

Check if lights are ON (PWM output or item identified under Lights tab)
If On then turn On equipment x
If Lights Off then turn Off equipment x

Any guidance on how to make this work ?

Last edited:

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use zero and a temperature sensor and pair it with a hs105 smart plug. that should suffice your need.
For the emergency situation, I'll suggest using staright portable power banks (e.g. duracell) in conjunction with 5v usb driven air stone or submersible pump or both. They'll give you anywhere in between 5-24 hours of backup, depending upon which power bank you are using. I am assuming temperature (heating in particular), is not needed that time. I live very close (as you guessed) and your case is the exact reason i expedite the power consumption related benchmarking. I am moving out of bay area to pleasant hill and I would be more prone to these issues. Expect more IM (incident management) related features to land in reef-pi project.

@Ranjib Got my pi all set up with temperature probes. I'm trying to pair it with my HS105 that you suggested, but I noticed that isn't actually in the drop down list of selectable plugs. Should I select the HS103 or do I need to return this one for the actual 103?

edit: Nevermind got it sorted!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to reset the graph scale without deleting and re-making a probe (pH) ?

I got my ph probe calibrated but it still has the raw value scale in the 1000s....makes it hard to see variations now that it's reading 8.35 lol. Now I don't want to delete the probe and make a new one because I don't have any more calibration packets....and I'm assuming once probe is deleted the calibration goes with it.
No easy solution yet, unfortunately. We have to add some feature to address this type of issues. pH calibration. temperature unit change both has this common requirement , or even removing some anomolous data. Its in my mind, but I have not yet come up with a decent user experience that i can translate to software components.

Theres a hard but possible workaround that we have introduced in 3.x series, using the reef-pi db command. You can get a json equivalent of the data , edit it and re-upload it. It works for everything thats inside in reef-pi, its intended for such troubleshooting work and should fix even the dashboard related issues (as mentioned in above posts), bugs that appear from due to data differences.

I 'll try to update the docs with example usage

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back