reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my quick and dirty minimalist reef-pi in its temporary enclosure, a good match for a simple tank! Gonna test it out with my battery bank soon.

Extremely stoked to have historical air/water temps.

IMG_20200126_182556.jpg IMG_20200126_215928.jpg IMG_20200126_215950.jpg
This is awesome. I love frugal setup. I had a build running in a tupper wire for few months :), it was awesome.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
@Ranjib Got my pi all set up with temperature probes. I'm trying to pair it with my HS105 that you suggested, but I noticed that isn't actually in the drop down list of selectable plugs. Should I select the HS103 or do I need to return this one for the actual 103?

edit: Nevermind got it sorted!
:-/, we have to update the ui or docs to let users know that hs105 is also supported, its exactly like hs103

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Pi 4 last week & had the time to set up Reef Pi on it today. Just wanted to share that it does work- I know I've seen some questions in the past, not sure how long ago though.

Any advantages to using this over a pi3b?

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more powerful, if you are running dual dekstop.. it might be better suited

My pi3b is only running reef-pi. I'd love to tie a USB camera into it, and maybe that would be where I would go with a pi4

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advantages to using this over a pi3b?

Realistically, most people would be better suited by the 3B+. The 4 is way more powerful than Reef-Pi alone needs, plus it only has mini HDMI, so you're stuck buying an adapter like you would with the Zero W. I'd always recommend the 3B+ for ease of use, Zero W for price. Pi 4 is kinda the worst of both worlds, unless you're trying to run multiple things other than Reef-Pi on there.

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I spoke some with the maker of the ReeFi light, which seems to be a stinking-awesome light. They run a ton of channels (I think 10?) of dimmable LED in a very fancy controller that can run moon cycles, etc. It's super awesome as it uses individual reflectors instead of lenses/diffusers.

Anyways, I was asking him about if they have considered making an option to have an external controller with a 10-pin connector instead of including parts for wifi/computation/etc. It turns out most of that's on the same board as the driver, so it isn't very viable and would evade 100% of the protections they build in.

However, they have a tcp api. So, does anyone have #reefpi using a tcp interface? especially as a macro? I figure I might want a 'major maintenance' macro that turns down pumps/etc, but also dims the lights so I don't burn corals while the water level is down. Thoughts?

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had a moment to start messing with the other pwm profiles via the api. Here is a 15 minute interval spanning 09:00:00 to 20:00:00 on the blue channel. I am excited to integrate this into some wave maker functions next. Excellent work reef-pi team!

Also, has anyone ran the sine profile? I need to actually test it some on my ldd's but is this what is expected (in pic LEDSinev1, Note the "Unknown Profile: sine") I am expecting this would work except the gui doesn't know what it is, or perhaps I am wrong.

LEDTestv2.PNG LEDSinev1.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I spoke some with the maker of the ReeFi light, which seems to be a stinking-awesome light. They run a ton of channels (I think 10?) of dimmable LED in a very fancy controller that can run moon cycles, etc. It's super awesome as it uses individual reflectors instead of lenses/diffusers.

Anyways, I was asking him about if they have considered making an option to have an external controller with a 10-pin connector instead of including parts for wifi/computation/etc. It turns out most of that's on the same board as the driver, so it isn't very viable and would evade 100% of the protections they build in.

However, they have a tcp api. So, does anyone have #reefpi using a tcp interface? especially as a macro? I figure I might want a 'major maintenance' macro that turns down pumps/etc, but also dims the lights so I don't burn corals while the water level is down. Thoughts?
If they have api, it will be pretty easy to rollup a network based driver for them which exposes the channels as jacks.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had a moment to start messing with the other pwm profiles via the api. Here is a 15 minute interval spanning 09:00:00 to 20:00:00 on the blue channel. I am excited to integrate this into some wave maker functions next. Excellent work reef-pi team!

Also, has anyone ran the sine profile? I need to actually test it some on my ldd's but is this what is expected (in pic LEDSinev1, Note the "Unknown Profile: sine") I am expecting this would work except the gui doesn't know what it is, or perhaps I am wrong.

LEDTestv2.PNG LEDSinev1.PNG
You are right, the GUI wont be able to show components for the sine profile, but the backend should work just fine.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right, the GUI wont be able to show components for the sine profile, but the backend should work just fine.
And if you have grafana or adafruit.io , you can use that to visualize the output, as individual channel intensity is emitted as metric on every update

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have api, it will be pretty easy to rollup a network based driver for them which exposes the channels as jacks.
Just to be clear: he said they do have an API and indicated that we could control each channel via that api if desired. If I ever decide I'm rolling in money and get serious about buying one, maybe I'll work more toward a tcp api for it.

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I want to give a big thanks for the db editor. It just saved me an entire rebuild as one of my newly added profiles was crashing reef-pi with a code=exited, status=2. Went in to lightings, grabbed the id and did the delete command. Today was a very good day!

Last edited:

ummwhy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in between a major life event, house purchase :0) .
Those of you who have house in US, any advice? Im going through property inspection phase (in between offer accepted and closing state). What are the key things I should look for? I want to have a larger aquarium (120G), there is information about floor support, but I could also use some electrical and ceiling/paint related advice

Title Insurance...

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bit of time and thought I should calibrate all 3 of my temp probes............

Read up on the ice bath technique and set to it.............................................

And I seem to have broken them. 1 was reading about 1 deg high, punched in the right temp and hit apply (well, my son did that. I was under the tank stirring ice). In my haste, I did all 3 of them and now they are all reading 0 and I'm getting errors.

Jan 29 16:51:20
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor ChillOut. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-001898431736/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Jan 29 16:51:21
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Electrics. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-5ec58f1d64ff/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Jan 29 16:51:25
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Sump Temp. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0018984300d1/w1_slave: no such file or directory

I did try delete and re-create one of them, but no difference.

Help?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bit of time and thought I should calibrate all 3 of my temp probes............

Read up on the ice bath technique and set to it.............................................

And I seem to have broken them. 1 was reading about 1 deg high, punched in the right temp and hit apply (well, my son did that. I was under the tank stirring ice). In my haste, I did all 3 of them and now they are all reading 0 and I'm getting errors.

Jan 29 16:51:20
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor ChillOut. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-001898431736/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Jan 29 16:51:21
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Electrics. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-5ec58f1d64ff/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Jan 29 16:51:25
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Sump Temp. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0018984300d1/w1_slave: no such file or directory

I did try delete and re-create one of them, but no difference.

Help?
I've also reloaded and rebooted and same situation.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%

Back