reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This "issue" ties in with my other posts regarding my challenges with Macros and running them off timers as well as macros running macros. I have been processing in my mind how a sensor triggering a macro would work and the response you are getting is what I would expect.

For a macro to run off a timer, it must be reversible and will only run in reverse.

The Macro ability and associated manipulation of them are what (for me anyway) makes reef-pi so brilliant.

As we are developing use cases for the feature, we are going to come accross more and more of these "hiccups".
Yes.. actually im also trying to find out the best user experience with macro. They are powerful and risky.
I dont sweat about the current state a lot , I know we have to use it and spend consistent effort to make it better, i.e. safer, more powerful and easier to predict. This will take some time.. but i think we'll get this sorted in couple of iterations, as we try to automate more and more complex workflows (water change, salt water mix, photo shoot etc ).

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Michael Lane , having an issue setting up my power controller/reefpi gobi hat and was wondering if you had any input on where I screwed up :) board is pi zero

I'm using an SR8 switchpack and channels 7 & 8 arent working on the relay pack. Wasnt sure if the switchpack was bad so ordered a new one and getting the same issue. Below are the voltage readings from each pin in the on and off position.

Any idea what's going on here?

GPIO 08, 11, 25, 09, 24, & 10 - working perfect > off = 1.15v & on= .62v
GPIO 022 - relay stuck open > off = .80V & on = .18v
GPIO 23 - relay non-responsive > off = 1.22v & on=.78v

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Michael Lane , having an issue setting up my power controller/reefpi gobi hat and was wondering if you had any input on where I screwed up :) board is pi zero

I'm using an SR8 switchpack and channels 7 & 8 arent working on the relay pack. Wasnt sure if the switchpack was bad so ordered a new one and getting the same issue. Below are the voltage readings from each pin in the on and off position.

Any idea what's going on here?

GPIO 08, 11, 25, 09, 24, & 10 - working perfect > off = 1.15v & on= .62v
GPIO 022 - relay stuck open > off = .80V & on = .18v
GPIO 23 - relay non-responsive > off = 1.22v & on=.78v
It's suspicious that it's 2 pins right next to each other. Can you provide a picture and also show where you measured the voltages?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright hopefully this bug/issue is easier to resolve and the pH ezo board isn't toast... I rewired with a new non-isolated carrier board. I removed the flux from the solder joints. I found it at its usual address using i2cdetect and then after calibration I started getting this error

ERROR: Failed to json decode. Error: json: unsupported value: NaN

Any ideas?

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's suspicious that it's 2 pins right next to each other. Can you provide a picture and also show where you measured the voltages?

I thought it was odd as well. Attached are the pics, pin18 is good and what the other good pins read. 22 and 23 are the problematic ones.

Any ideas?

18 0ff.jpg 18 on.jpg 22 off.jpg 22 on.jpg 23 on.jpg 23off.jpg IMG_7653.jpg

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may get lost in the noise, but has anyone outside the US found a decent hardware source for 240v? The Disco light plugbars referenced are 110v US plugs only and kind of wondering if anyone has found some proper voltage kit that will work. :)

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may get lost in the noise, but has anyone outside the US found a decent hardware source for 240v? The Disco light plugbars referenced are 110v US plugs only and kind of wondering if anyone has found some proper voltage kit that will work. :)

I don't think so - at least not that I've seen. And I've been looking.

The two best options I see at the moment are
  1. build using relay packs
  2. WiFi plugs like the TP Link, Shelley units etc.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Des, I thought this was the case, but always worth checking.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have either of you tried looking on Aliexpress?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are the Gembird/Energenie SIS-PMS, EG-PMS, EG-PMS2 and so on, with different interfaces (usb, ethernet, wifi), i have one lying around and was planning to write a driver for the usb version but didn't get around to it with the current trouble.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any idea why this doesnt work? I have 2 wavemakers both set on opposite timers.. pumps keep turning on and off randomly.. now they are both on, but one should be off..strange..

Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was just me playing with it.. no all 4 I have enabled..let me be more specific, after set time one should turn off, well it stays on.. after set timers one should be off, well they are both are on..and I randomlly hear when pump turns on I hear this sound from pump.. this happens to the pump witch is on for several hours..

Crustoceous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any luck getting a timer to activate a macro? It will activate equipment, but no matter what I do I can't get it to turn on a macro. Is this a known issue by chance? Using 3.3.1.

edit - I found the posts from earlier this week talking about running the macro in reverse. I'll see if I can get what I want out of it that way...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any luck getting a timer to activate a macro? It will activate equipment, but no matter what I do I can't get it to turn on a macro. Is this a known issue by chance? Using 3.3.1.

edit - I found the posts from earlier this week talking about running the macro in reverse. I'll see if I can get what I want out of it that way...
Keep us posted

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are the Gembird/Energenie SIS-PMS, EG-PMS, EG-PMS2 and so on, with different interfaces (usb, ethernet, wifi), i have one lying around and was planning to write a driver for the usb version but didn't get around to it with the current trouble.
Whats the most popular with wifi interface? We can target that..

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the most popular with wifi interface? We can target that..
@Ranjib
what about a driver for SONOFF modules? They make them in US and other configurations.

They also make all kinds of wifi power and other modules. They are compatible with IFTTT as well.
Many are also able to be flashed with some open source firmware too.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
what about a driver for SONOFF modules? They make them in US and other configurations.

They also make all kinds of wifi power and other modules. They are compatible with IFTTT as well.
Many are also able to be flashed with some open source firmware too.
These are definitely in my radar. I was seriously considering them couple of weeks back for my home. Finally i went with shelly because of their open ecosystem and being cheaper/smaller. Although I was considering only wifi relays,
That said, sonoff is the next best and made in US, so its on my radar on the list of things i have to write driver for. Let me know if you are using it. One challenge with this sort of thing is testing is harder for me since i dont plan to own it anytime soon. If you or anyone else is using it, and interested in reef-pi integration testing, do let me know.

Back