reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

BenB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone able to shed some light on why I've had zero luck getting a temperature sensor to show up on this build?

1 wire is enabled

When I run ls in /sys/bus/w1/devices, I get the following output:
00-2e0000000000 00-4e0000000000 00-ce0000000000 w1_bus_master1

I unplugged the sensor, plugged in another & got this:

00-190000000000 00-690000000000 00-e90000000000 w1_bus_master1

Sometimes when I run ls, I only get the first 2 strings of numbers & the w1_bus_master1

I get the same ls output with or without the sensor plugged in. The numbers changing doesn't seem to follow any sort of pattern.

in the /sys/bus/wi/devices folder, I have 5 folders:

00-260000000000
00-660000000000
00-a60000000000
00-c60000000000
w1_bus_master1

I've eliminated as much complexity as possible. I'm going directly from the sensor to Pi pins (through a 4.7k resistor for data). Nothing else is plugged in.

Dev Mode is not enabled. No errors. I know at least one of the temperature sensors works, as I had it on my other build running just fine.

Checking the output at the pins, I've got 3.3V on the 3.3V pin, .245 Volts on GPIO 4, 0 volts on ground. Should I be seeing higher voltage on GPIO 4? Is that pin possibly dead?

I've been working on this for 3 days & I'm about to go insane. Anyone have some advice to keep me from going crazy?
You can use an other pin, see how to here:

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use an other pin, see how to here:

Ohhh, neat. Didn't realize 1-wire was configurable. I had always assumed it was a dedicated pin, like I2C.

I'll give that a shot once my Pi is back up & running. I formatted it out of frustration, lol.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck, switching it to a GPIO pin I'm sure is working didn't work either.

If it's any help knowing, after formatting, these are the 3 folders I have in /sys/bus/w1/devices after formatting:

00-40000000000
00-80000000000
w1_bus_master1

and I get this output when running ls:

00-20000000000 00-c0000000000 w1_bus_master1

Every time I feel like I know what I'm doing, something more & more unusual pops up. I'm naming a few gray hairs on my head after @Ranjib :p Kidding, I'm sure it's something dumb I'm doing, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I've tried on 3.2 & 3.4 with different temperature sensors & different Pis with no luck so far.

Last edited:

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, most frustrating victory lap ever. I got it working.... but still have no idea what the issue was.

I had the temperature screen up, checked to see if there was a sensor (there wasn't).

I unplugged it & flipped its wires- Gnd was hooked to 3.3v, 3.3V to Gnd. No sensor detected.

I flipped it back.... sensor detected.

I'm at a loss. I'm just happy my 3 day battle is won!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that filedriver was a huge help, finally got the energenie powerbar running without trying to learn how to write a usb driver, just added a cronjob that translates the file outputs to calls to the control program every 10 seconds. Not perfect, but it works. So that's another viable european powerbar option now.

Now that the heater/cooler display in the dashboard actually does something for me, is there some api stuff or other hack to manually change the temperature scale to a range useful for celsius? A search through this thread has brought up a few people complaining about this, but no solution.
set it up again with Celsius as unit from very beginning.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
set it up again with Celsius as unit from very beginning.

Do i have to set Celsius somewhere else too or only when setting up a temperature sensor? Because i have always immediately set it to celsius. Just redid it anyway, by deleting the sensor and setting it up again filling in all the fields, but the scale still goes to 86.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just updated to reef-pi ver3.4. Update went OK. Download was very slow. Like VERY slow, but it downloaded and installed.

All looked fine until I went to the dashboard. Graphs were there, but when I mouse-over them, all the date and time info is "Jan-01-00:00, 0001" For temp, pH, ATO. All the reading are there, just date stamps are gone / reset.
Reloaded reef-pi and refreshed browser - Same thing.
Rebooted reef-pi and refreshed browser - Same thing.

My latest readings are showing with the correct time / date so all good.

peejay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have updated to 3.4. Now, on the Dashboard my equipment no longer shows in red when they are turned off. They appear in green when they switch on. Was this a deliberate move, a bug or just something gone wrong my end
?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have updated to 3.4. Now, on the Dashboard my equipment no longer shows in red when they are turned off. They appear in green when they switch on. Was this a deliberate move, a bug or just something gone wrong my end
?
Thanks.
That’s not a deliberate move. We updated the charting library to address some deprecation warning, I’ll cross check .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just updated to reef-pi ver3.4. Update went OK. Download was very slow. Like VERY slow, but it downloaded and installed.

All looked fine until I went to the dashboard. Graphs were there, but when I mouse-over them, all the date and time info is "Jan-01-00:00, 0001" For temp, pH, ATO. All the reading are there, just date stamps are gone / reset.
Reloaded reef-pi and refreshed browser - Same thing.
Rebooted reef-pi and refreshed browser - Same thing.

My latest readings are showing with the correct time / date so all good.
Oops . I know what happened. We fixed a bug a that was messing up the charts due to missing year in time stamp. That is causing all older timestamp parsing to fail resulting in default timestamp (which is Jan 1 ,01). I fear this is permanent. I can revert back the change, but then we’ll get the old bug back. This should not impact anything other than the timestamps in chart, for older usage data.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops . I know what happened. We fixed a bug a that was messing up the charts due to missing year in time stamp. That is causing all older timestamp parsing to fail resulting in default timestamp (which is Jan 1 ,01). I fear this is permanent. I can revert back the change, but then we’ll get the old bug back. This should not impact anything other than the timestamps in chart, for older usage data.

Cool. It's largely benign, because I can still see the graph visually, and I still have the point data, just not the dates. And going forward it's fine. In a couple of weeks I won't even remember it happened. Glad I could point out something for you Devs to fix. We all know you sit around bored with nothing to do most of the time :D:D:D Just kidding. Constantly grateful for the work you guys do.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i have to set Celsius somewhere else too or only when setting up a temperature sensor? Because i have always immediately set it to celsius. Just redid it anyway, by deleting the sensor and setting it up again filling in all the fields, but the scale still goes to 86.

So is this a bug and supposed to work when setup as Celsius from the start? To be clear, i am not talking about the temperature graph, but the temperature line/scale in the heater/cooler graph.

Currently on Reef-Pi 3.4

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On an entirely unrelated note, since reef-pi already tracks the usage of dosing pumps, can we get a capability to send an alarm/ execute a macro or something after a pump has been running for a specific time/after a specific volume?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this a bug and supposed to work when setup as Celsius from the start? To be clear, i am not talking about the temperature graph, but the temperature line/scale in the heater/cooler graph.

Currently on Reef-Pi 3.4
Its a UI bug in the chart component. Thank you for pointing it out,. i just patched it, will be fixed in next release: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/1153 . Chart min/max will reflect the data min/max after this change.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just built this... Prototype of a micro reefpi.

1 external temp sensor, header for sht31d or any other i2c device, two 12v pwm light channels.

Had to use that horrendous buck converters, but for this application it's fine...

Having an issue with the second light channel, but I'll figure it out eventually.

No power control on this as power will be controlled via a TP Link KP303 power strip.

IMG_20200523_215703.jpg

mawhins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the temp probe has only 2 wires, it is probably a thermocouple / thermistor. Not the same as the ds18b20 that reef-pi uses.

From what I recall though, the resistance difference across a thermocouple is linear, so you might be able to set it up as a pH probe and calibrate the voltages you read from it to give you a temp reading. But I'll wait for others better schooled than me to confirm that.

Ad a look but I don't think there's any way to setup a driver for pH that reads SPI, the drivers that are there seem to use i2c. There is a digital file option but not sure how to format the file and how it would work i.e. where does it live how do you clean it up etc. Oh well guess I just buy the ds18b20, its only $15 just wanted to use the probes I had here and it was fun to get the Analogue to Digital converter running. Might come in useful somewhere down the line.

mawhins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 external temp sensor, header for sht31d or any other i2c device, two 12v pwm light channels.

Had to use that horrendous buck converters, but for this application it's fine...

Having an issue with the second light channel, but I'll figure it out eventually.

No power control on this as power will be controlled via a TP Link KP303 power strip.

IMG_20200523_215703.jpg
hmmm that's my next task, to pack everything into a nice little housing instead of just sitting around on an connected to breadboards by jumper cables.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20200523_215703.jpg
Looking good :)

Back