• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It is gnd, sda, sdl, 5v
bottom of board is printed with this.

In my box ph is plugged into corner. From right side of image moving left. Yellow, white, red, black. On ph board it is plugged in from bottom of image moving up yellow, white, red, black.

2B298B81-4F58-4F0D-8160-18F925E2CA05.jpeg
It is gnd, sda, sdl, 5v
bottom of board is printed with this.

In my box ph is plugged into corner. From right side of image moving left. Yellow, white, red, black. On ph board it is plugged in from bottom of image moving up yellow, white, red, black.

2B298B81-4F58-4F0D-8160-18F925E2CA05.jpeg
I had my board already bolted in so I checked the back and there it was. I bought the pre-wired plugs from
ML Reefkeeping. The wire colors matched up perfectly between the hat and Ph interface. Thanks for your help!

20200906_114830.jpg 20200906_112617.jpg

https://www.omegasea.net/

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
I am using a couple TP-Link (kasa) devices to control power to a heater and light on my new tank. It's temporary until finances settle from my recent job change.

I asked about the ability to have reef pi update the ui based on polling the devices in the past. Didn't seem to be much interest in it.

I believe I have found a good use case for doing so.

Unless you setup a DHCP reservation on your router, the kasa device will likely pull a new ip address after a power cycle. It's happened a few times to me in the last couple of months. The kasa app doesn't care, it uses the mac address to discover the device. reef-pi just happily goes about it's business thinking things are fine and not bothering to error out. It didn't even log the error.

I'm not a go programmer, however, I do know of a night nodejs package that I am able to scan and control the kasa devices in my house from a linux cmd line with. Perhaps incorporating something like this could assist with better control / monitoring of these outlets. https://www.npmjs.com/package/tplink-lightbulb

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the second float switch setup as an inlet connector on address 18, named "topoffwater". I setup the second ATO, named it "topoffwater" using the "topoffwater" inlet with a check frequency of 2, control set to equipment, control pump is outlet1 on my powerbar. Setup like this, it works and switches the outlet on/off as I move the float up and down, waiting 2 seconds in between. If I set the control setting to "nothing", and enable alerts with "alert after" set to 10, 2 seconds after I enable it, I start getting emails, no matter what position the float is in.
@Ranjib or anyone that might know, this is how I have it configured, still not working as I would expect:

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.45.04.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.44.31.png

As soon as I enable it, with the float in the up position (so that the power outlet pb1 would be off), I get email alerts, but the power outlet behaves as it should (turns off with the float up, turns on with the float down):
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.48.13.png

A macro option to send a single email/alert would be helpful, I think I could get this to work with that.

What am I doing wrong?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am using an ML hat but not as a hat with a Raspberry pi 4. I am using these:
15995024881526508627556029131264.jpg

I was thinking that I could use a shared ground between the r-pi 4 and the Hat and any ground for the uln2803 header and the breakout GPIO. I will also be adding additional ULN2803 chips to control additional relays. I would like to share ground for all of these. Additionally I would think I could tie this ground into the mains ground.

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am using an ML hat but not as a hat with a Raspberry pi 4. I am using these:
15995024881526508627556029131264.jpg

I was thinking that I could use a shared ground between the r-pi 4 and the Hat and any ground for the uln2803 header and the breakout GPIO. I will also be adding additional ULN2803 chips to control additional relays. I would like to share ground for all of these. Additionally I would think I could tie this ground into the mains ground.
> I would like to share ground for all of these.

You need to share a ground for all of the DC equipment. If you can, run all GND signals along with the power supply wiring to the same power source (DC/DC, AC/DC, Vreg, etc). If you are using multiple DC/DC converters or AC/DC converters, tie all of their grounds at a common point, but keep the power/GND lines running as a pair to each supply to each load. The tie exists simply to make sure everything is at a similar reference, and only very small currents used for signals should ever cross this.

> Additionally I would think I could tie this ground into the mains ground.

Unless you have a very specific reason to, do NOT do this.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
> I would like to share ground for all of these.

You need to share a ground for all of the DC equipment. If you can, run all GND signals along with the power supply wiring to the same power source (DC/DC, AC/DC, Vreg, etc). If you are using multiple DC/DC converters or AC/DC converters, tie all of their grounds at a common point, but keep the power/GND lines running as a pair to each supply to each load. The tie exists simply to make sure everything is at a similar reference, and only very small currents used for signals should ever cross this.

> Additionally I would think I could tie this ground into the mains ground.

Unless you have a very specific reason to, do NOT do this.
This mostly cleared things up. However I was confused by this, "and only very small currents used for signals should ever cross this".
I have a Cana kit power supply designed for rpi4. Any power coming from the pi or hat should be coming from this. I planned to have 1 additional 12v power supply. I assume that i plug the additional DC power supply into the 12v header on the Hat. This would be tieing the grounds of both power supplies together.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This mostly cleared things up. However I was confused by this, "and only very small currents used for signals should ever cross this".
I have a Cana kit power supply designed for rpi4. Any power coming from the pi or hat should be coming from this. I planned to have 1 additional 12v power supply. I assume that i plug the additional DC power supply into the 12v header on the Hat. This would be tieing the grounds of both power supplies together.
Yup - the HAT will have the grounds of both the Pi and HAT joined, from the same standpoint of "there is always a return path" - in this case for the signals. Not much current is going to flow here.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I need to figure out these Kamoer dosing pumps i purchased from Alibaba. I believe they are brushless motors with internal controllers. There are 5 wires coming out:
20200604_170825.jpg

I searched online for days trying to find anything referencing a 5 wire brushless motor. I could only find 1 reference:

What I have come up with is that if I connect 12+ to pin 5 and grd to pin 2 no power will run through the motor until I activate the PWM signal from the hat to pin 1. It seems like if I don't connect pins 3 or 4 it should operate in a forward direction.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks like its based on the normal fan motor wiring:

1599531831855.png

In this case, Red is +, Black is GND, Blue is PWM speed input. FG is the tachometer output so you can measure the actual speed output (its going to be a pulse train back out). I'd tie the yellow wire either GND to make sure it spins in a defined direction and won't flip on you.

Probably using some variant of a fan controller:

I didn't realize they had PWM controlled pump heads _with_ speed output, which is very nice when you want to spin them faster as it will probably be much quieter than a stepper.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib or anyone that might know, this is how I have it configured, still not working as I would expect:

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.45.04.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.44.31.png

As soon as I enable it, with the float in the up position (so that the power outlet pb1 would be off), I get email alerts, but the power outlet behaves as it should (turns off with the float up, turns on with the float down):
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.48.13.png

A macro option to send a single email/alert would be helpful, I think I could get this to work with that.

What am I doing wrong?
What version of reef-pi are you running?

There was a bug on the ATO and alerting recently. Something like it would work the first time and then fail. I remember downgrading a version which solved the problem for me.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
1599570870306.png

So after i do a reset by taking out the sensors and the power. Everything works perfect. until sudenly it doesn't. i have 3 Temp. sensors ant they al stop working at the same time. over and over again :/
always with:

{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-03119779400c/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404

any info in this by now?

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
What version of reef-pi are you running?

There was a bug on the ATO and alerting recently. Something like it would work the first time and then fail. I remember downgrading a version which solved the problem for me.
Version 3.3.1. This really seems like a bug. I "think" that the ATO reporting/alerts is a combination of all ATOs you have defined, not seperate, and it's alerting for the combination of my two.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
1599570870306.png

So after i do a reset by taking out the sensors and the power. Everything works perfect. until sudenly it doesn't. i have 3 Temp. sensors ant they al stop working at the same time. over and over again :/
always with:

{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-03119779400c/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404

any info in this by now?
Check if your sensor is being detected. It looks like reef-pi cant find the sensor

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks like its based on the normal fan motor wiring:

1599531831855.png

In this case, Red is +, Black is GND, Blue is PWM speed input. FG is the tachometer output so you can measure the actual speed output (its going to be a pulse train back out). I'd tie the yellow wire either GND to make sure it spins in a defined direction and won't flip on you.

Probably using some variant of a fan controller:

I didn't realize they had PWM controlled pump heads _with_ speed output, which is very nice when you want to spin them faster as it will probably be much quieter than a stepper.
Thanks for the response and verification.

Tom Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
OK so I am running 3.3.1 and just had something odd happen. I know email alerts are buggy with 3.3.1 but I had alerts enabled after a period of time and disable on alert. I get an alert about a very extended runtime, of course I was pretty nervous and went to check both tanks and everything appeared to be working as expected. So when I dug into it deeper it was alerting for something that happend almost a month ago when I was initially setting things up etc. Why would it go back and read a previous entry and is there a way to clear the past ATO values and start fresh?

One additional comment, since I am running multiple reefpi's is there any way to include the name of the tank in the alerts that go out, I might have missed something but when I get alerts I am not always sure which tank its for....I think I see what I can do I need to give a unique name for the ATO based on the tank and then I will know...

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Check if your sensor is being detected. It looks like reef-pi cant find the sensor
The Strange thing is,

it is 3 sensors. Connected on diferent ports on the Robo tank board. When i unconnect them and reconect he finds them again. (see spike in the graphs) an then x hours later he forgets them all. All at the same time... 0:55 time of photo 7:40 AM.

1599629946568.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
The Strange thing is,

it is 3 sensors. Connected on diferent ports on the Robo tank board. When i unconnect them and reconect he finds them again. (see spike in the graphs) an then x hours later he forgets them all. All at the same time... 0:55 time of photo 7:40 AM.

1599629946568.png
Hi Yov, this sounds hardware related as nobody else has reported this. How long has it been happening and how often does it happen? Do you have to unplug them all to get it working again? How long are your cables? I think you have a RevA boarb, the power pins on temp ports are 3.3v but I should have had 5v there. Can you try powering them up with a 5v pin from a sensor port to see if that clears it up.

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Yov, this sounds hardware related as nobody else has reported this. How long has it been happening and how often does it happen? Do you have to unplug them all to get it working again? How long are your cables? I think you have a RevA boarb, the power pins on temp ports are 3.3v but I should have had 5v there. Can you try powering them up with a 5v pin from a sensor port to see if that clears it up.
Wel i have this from the start of the board now. :( 3 lenghts between 50cm-1 Meter.
Can i change the 3,3V on the board ? For now il just change the pin to a 5V source.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Wel i have this from the start of the board now. :( 3 lenghts between 50cm-1 Meter.
Can i change the 3,3V on the board ? For now il just change the pin to a 5V source.
That's not good, don't hesitate to contact me if you have issues, I'm here to help.

Those cable lengths should be fine, I've run 3 with 5m with no issues. The sensors are fine on 3.3v but 5v is better and if that solves it you can make a small change on the board to get 5v on those pins.

If it locks up regularly it might also be worth trying to run one sensor to see if it locks, it could be something with a sensor.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Version 3.3.1. This really seems like a bug. I "think" that the ATO reporting/alerts is a combination of all ATOs you have defined, not seperate, and it's alerting for the combination of my two.
OK. My issue went away when I downgraded to 3.3.1, so possibly not the same.

I have 3 x ATO's defined, but only ever have one enabled at a time. Controlled by Timers and Macros. Alerting disabled on all of them though.

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 269 42.8%
  • Every Month

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 82 13.0%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 87 13.8%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 63 10.0%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 30 4.8%