reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't set it up yet, but my plan is to set up an "ato" that triggers a macro. Instead of wiring it to a float, wire it to a button and tell it to check every 2 seconds or something. Thats my plan for a feed mode at least.
Exactly . That’s how I’ll go about it . Let us know how it goes.
For a more instant setup we need some kind of code that will call the api based on the switch state, and runs a much smaller frequent polling loop

im_jeremy5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot get adafruit.io and email notifications working at the same time. I am on 4.2 although, I had this issue on 4.0 as well. I can check the email notifications box, enter my info, and I recieve emails. OR I can check adafruit.io and enter my adafruit.io info and that works, BUT I cannot do them both at the same time.

Whichever I enter first is the only one that will function.

For example, if I enter my email info and get it working, then check adafruit.io and enter that info, when I click update and reload reef-pi, adafruit.io will be unchecked when I return to the telemetry page and it will not function. Same if I do it the other way around. If I set up adafruit.io then try to get email working, adafruit.io is the only thing that will function.

This is huge for me as I work out of town for 2 days a week. I need those notifications. Also, with my isp blocking port 80 I cannot access reef-pi as a web server outside my home so adafruit.io is important to me as well.

Anyone else have this issue?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
past weekend I redid one of my picos aio controller . To reduce clutter I replaced the two lm9685 that does 12v -> 5v and 12v-> 10v conversion with a single psu from matek system . This was lying around in my old electronic box. I had picked it up long back in 2018. These power distribution blocks are popular in drones. Overall it’s working well, I can run ato, temperature , ph , kessil all from a single

6BA89F30-D19C-4A6D-87E8-5AB53362C8AE.jpeg

power distribution block closeup:
FC7235C7-093C-424A-B271-8D51A0910B19.jpeg

I also took this opportunity to replace pi 3b with a pi 3a, which has lesser memory , but more power efficient and smaller in size.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly . That’s how I’ll go about it . Let us know how it goes.
For a more instant setup we need some kind of code that will call the api based on the switch state, and runs a much smaller frequent polling loop
Yes, that works.

I had only just installed the pi and reef-pi, and it was only v3.0.

When I upgraded to current version the ability was there.

Now, I just need to put macro buttons onto the dashboard along with the current switch display :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 4
Yes, that works.

I had only just installed the pi and reef-pi, and it was only v3.0.

When I upgraded to current version the ability was there.

Now, I just need to put macro buttons onto the dashboard along with the current switch display :)
In 4.2 we introduced equipment panel that allows doing something similar with equipment. I can see us doing something similar with macro

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been long since I posted some actual reef tank shots in this thread. I’m slowly getting back to that :)

one of my pico
8A4BCCAD-4DB5-41B2-8E51-A83F8BBF2520.jpeg

it has 5 different corals. With one of them being the invasive .
61585E02-1B9F-4D0F-AA34-45D3831FBA7F.jpeg

This grandis is almost 4 years old and started with a frag from my nano
62A18141-18D7-4BB7-961B-3349820FFB9D.jpeg

Cyphastrea on back wall
EE4A10A0-EFDD-4309-964C-AB5624C00AB7.jpeg

and some good old orange digi
6853BFC3-51AA-43BD-BA09-1FD97E048D84.jpeg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I have cut another minor release 4.3, two days back (sorry about the late posting, was caught up with a pc build :) ). This is a minor release, i.e safe to upgrade for all 4.x users and has only a handful of bugfixes. 4.2 , the previous release was long overdue one, and as a result the changes that went in had more volume/pile up. Some UI bugs were introduced. If you are being impacted by those, please upgrade , otherwise you can ignore. It does bring some UI enhancements. Following are the highlights

Bugfixes:
  • Mobile devices that encountered UI errors (due to charts) are now fixed. Please let us know if there exist any mobile screen (in reasonably modern devices/software) that breaks in mobile devices.
  • The pH calibration modal war not working in 4.2 due to bug. This is fixed now
  • Chart UI improvements: Aspects like borders (removed), titles (removed module name), spacing are improved for better ui and functional alignments (since ph module is on its way to become a general purpose analog sensor controller)
Enhancements:
  • reef-pi's under-voltage detection system is now integrated with overall health module. i.e users can now see the last time under voltage occured through UI/API
  • Email alerts to include tank name: All alerts will now include tank name in the title section. This was my personal requirement to distinguish alerts from different tanks.
Chores
  • The frontend build system has been migrated from npm to a better, modern alternative, yarn. This improves better developer experience

Release builds can be found in usual location:

sincerely
ranjib

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just updated to v4.3 and have noticed that *sometimes* when I do a config reload, the power outlets turn off and stay off until I re-enable them manually.

Not sure if this is related specifically to 4.3 as I've not been up and running for long.

Raf714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I have cut another minor release 4.3, two days back (sorry about the late posting, was caught up with a pc build :) ). This is a minor release, i.e safe to upgrade for all 4.x users and has only a handful of bugfixes. 4.2 , the previous release was long overdue one, and as a result the changes that went in had more volume/pile up. Some UI bugs were introduced. If you are being impacted by those, please upgrade , otherwise you can ignore. It does bring some UI enhancements. Following are the highlights

Bugfixes:
  • Mobile devices that encountered UI errors (due to charts) are now fixed. Please let us know if there exist any mobile screen (in reasonably modern devices/software) that breaks in mobile devices.
  • The pH calibration modal war not working in 4.2 due to bug. This is fixed now
  • Chart UI improvements: Aspects like borders (removed), titles (removed module name), spacing are improved for better ui and functional alignments (since ph module is on its way to become a general purpose analog sensor controller)
Enhancements:
  • reef-pi's under-voltage detection system is now integrated with overall health module. i.e users can now see the last time under voltage occured through UI/API
  • Email alerts to include tank name: All alerts will now include tank name in the title section. This was my personal requirement to distinguish alerts from different tanks.
Chores
  • The frontend build system has been migrated from npm to a better, modern alternative, yarn. This improves better developer experience

Release builds can be found in usual location:

sincerely
ranjib
Upgrade done withoud problems .
When I open the pH section on my Huawei P20 lite smartphone and click the down arrow to open the screen, I get:

reef-piph

Something went wrong.​

TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
in LineChart in div in u in div in i in Connect(i) in div in div in form in hd in Qn in WithFormik(hd) in li in l in l in ul in div in i in Connect(i) in i in div in div in div in div in i in Connect(i) in i in a
Aug-25-08:42,

zee_zout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I open the pH section on my Huawei P20 lite smartphone and click the down arrow to open the screen, I get:

reef-piph

Something went wrong.​

in LineChart in div in u in div in i in Connect(i) in div in div in form in hd in Qn in WithFormik(hd) in li in l in l in ul in div in i in Connect(i) in i in div in div in div in div in i in Connect(i) in i in a
Can you also test this in landscape mode, I believe this is an old error that only occurs in portrait mode, and not only in ph, also in temperature..

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef-piph

Something went wrong.​

Did you reboot the pi and/or reload the site in browser ( reload, or more aggressively delete cache and reload)

That was the old issue, is fixed now for me with 4.3 after doing the above steps

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you reboot the pi and/or reload the site in browser ( reload, or more aggressively delete cache and reload)

That was the old issue, is fixed now for me with 4.3 after doing the above steps
You don’t have to reboot the pi, a hard refresh (that clears the cache ) on browser should do the trick

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef-piph

Something went wrong.​

This is the old error, it should be fixed, please try refreshing the browser page . If the error persist, try accessing the webui in incognito /private mode . If the error occurs even in private mode, than we still have the bug and I’ll take a look.
thank you so much for testing and reporting this. really appreciate it

kstripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there updated development environment instructions with this? I wanted to try setting building reef-pi myself, but after following the instructions (https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/development/) I get the following error:

Code:
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/vagrant/gospace/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi'
yarn
make: yarn: Command not found
make: *** [Makefile:48: install] Error 127

I tried installing yarn via apt (yarnpkg, I think), but I still get the same error when running
Code:
make install

Raf714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, I did try it again and it works right now :).
So the problem is solved indeed.
Thank you.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S
Well, I did try it again and it works right now :).
So the problem is solved indeed.
Thank you.
Sorry , I just migrated to yarn couple of weeks back and the dev document has not been updated. We use slack for any development /code discussion , feel free to drop by and say hi if you want.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef-piph

Something went wrong.​

I just validated this, on iphone 12 i am not able to reproduce this. What browser you are using? Im curious if its specific to any browser/OS

Raf714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just validated this, on iphone 12 i am not able to reproduce this. What browser you are using? Im curious if its specific to any browser/OS
I had it only the first time in 4.2. I can't reproduce it neither.
I am using google chrome as browser on adroid.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like another reef pi build is in the future! Scored a Corallife Biocube 29 with stand for a pittance on craiglist. The guy selling it haa already upgraded it with a dc pump and upgraded LED lighting.
I dont have details on the lighting yet, but now the question is:

Another FW planted(already have the parts for a co2 setup) OR do I attempt a mini reef?

Back