reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated to 4.2. In UI. Scared me by saying 'loading for a minute.

Like the on/off dashboard for equipment.

Noticed that ATO graphs All have the same name, not the name of the ATO given. All are 'ATO Usage'. I have 3 graphs ATO Float, Skimmer Float and High Sump. All have 'ATO USAGE' as the graph title. BUG??.

Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated to 4.2. In UI. Scared me by saying 'loading for a minute.

Like the on/off dashboard for equipment.

Noticed that ATO graphs All have the same name, not the name of the ATO given. All are 'ATO Usage'. I have 3 graphs ATO Float, Skimmer Float and High Sump. All have 'ATO USAGE' as the graph title. BUG??.

Keep up the good work.
yes. Bug. I'll get a fix ready. Thank you for calling it out

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4.2 update......

i had to pull the power plug and plug back in for it to work, after a waiting a minute for it to update. It just says 'loading'. Is that normal?

Also do we still have do macros backwards?

Fyi. I noticed when changing the number of graphs that the 'back/delete' button on the popup number keypad doesn't work. I think all the other popups work fine.

This is a very good update. Thank you for your hard work on this!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4.2 update......

i had to pull the power plug and plug back in for it to work, after a waiting a minute for it to update. It just says 'loading'. Is that normal?

Also do we still have do macros backwards?

Fyi. I noticed when changing the number of graphs that the 'back/delete' button on the popup number keypad doesn't work. I think all the other popups work fine.

This is a very good update. Thank you for your hard work on this!

I had the experience that if it hangs at loading, that that is the cached version in your browser talking to you, not reefpi. What happens if you press control+F5 at the same time?

im_jeremy5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to update via the UI and recieved this error.

error":"Failed to update. Error: Unit reef-pi-install.service already exists."} | HTTP 500

Is there something I should do before I hook up a screen/keyboard/ mouse and install via terminal?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to update via the UI and recieved this error.

error":"Failed to update. Error: Unit reef-pi-install.service already exists."} | HTTP 500

Is there something I should do before I hook up a screen/keyboard/ mouse and install via terminal?
reboot if possible.

im_jeremy5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reboot if possible.
That worked! Also, the main reason I was in this thread is I cannot get adafruit.io and Email notifications working simultaneously. Whichever I enter credentials for first works, the other gets forgotten on reload and doesn't work. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked! Also, the main reason I was in this thread is I cannot get adafruit.io and Email notifications working simultaneously. Whichever I enter credentials for first works, the other gets forgotten on reload and doesn't work. Any ideas?
Its not forgotten, secrets are not shown back by design. Its bit confusing UI, but they are preserved, so unless you are resetting it, they are set to the previous value, even if they shown as empty in the UI .

im_jeremy5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not forgotten, secrets are not shown back by design. Its bit confusing UI, but they are preserved, so unless you are resetting it, they are set to the previous value, even if they sh
Its not forgotten, secrets are not shown back by design. Its bit confusing UI, but they are preserved, so unless you are resetting it, they are set to the previous value, even if they shown as empty in the UI .

Its not that I can't see it, it doesn't work. If I check only the email notifications and enter my credentials it works. If I uncheck email, and check adafruit.io and enter that information it works. BUT, if I leave email checked and check adafruit.io and enter that info, adafruit.io does not work. Or the other way around. If I enter adafruit.io first them also check email and set that up, only adafruit.io works. Whichever is checked and entered first. Once I click update and reload, the second thing I tried to enable unchecked.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grafana dashboard from reef-pi metrics of one of my 4G pico reef tank.

The tank is in the workshop, without AC. Ambient temperature goes well over 90 in some days. I have a 12V fan as cooling devices and reef-pi does the whole temperature control. Its been pretty effective I think. I just readjusted the chiller threshold to 1 degree less and you can see the impact (top right panel). Fan can make almost 8-10F difference. ATO usage spikes up during the high temp+ Fan on period.
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 9.51.06 PM.png

reef-pi has the ability to detect under voltage for sometime, but that insight is only emitted as metric and not available straight from UI. that data is used for the bottom right chart. From next release onward we'll have the under voltage detection insights from UI directly (under errors section)

im_jeremy5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not that I can't see it, it doesn't work. If I check only the email notifications and enter my credentials it works. If I uncheck email, and check adafruit.io and enter that information it works. BUT, if I leave email checked and check adafruit.io and enter that info, adafruit.io does not work. Or the other way around. If I enter adafruit.io first then also check email and set that up, only adafruit.io works. Whichever is checked and entered first. Once I click update and reload, the second thing I tried to enable unchecked.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird issue. Tried just now to enter the calibration menu for a ph probe and it didn't work. Like i hover over the "Calibrate" button, it highlights, i click, and nothing happens, the popup that used to appear just doesn't. Last patch i had to set the probe to disabled in the settings before i could calibrate, doesn't work now neither enabled nor disabled.

Creating a new driver, connector, and entry in the ph submenu doesn't help either

For my temperature probes it still shows up

The probe adapter still shows up in i2cdetect and i can still access it via console, still outputs values there, in reefpi too, just can't calibrate

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird issue. Tried just now to enter the calibration menu for a ph probe and it didn't work. Like i hover over the "Calibrate" button, it highlights, i click, and nothing happens, the popup that used to appear just doesn't. Last patch i had to set the probe to disabled in the settings before i could calibrate, doesn't work now neither enabled nor disabled.

Creating a new driver, connector, and entry in the ph submenu doesn't help either

For my temperature probes it still shows up

The probe adapter still shows up in i2cdetect and i can still access it via console, still outputs values there, in reefpi too, just can't calibrate
i dont know if i informed earlier, the ph calibration modal was broken by mistake in 4.2, i have fixed it since then, it will be out in 4.3 (tomorrow likely). Till then either wait or use 4.1 for ph calibration

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some minor update.
Today i was able to successfully test Atlas Scientific RTD/platinum temperature probe with reef-pi. Since this probe (and the circuit) uses exactly same i2c protocol for reading the sensor data as the ph probe, I just added it under the ph module. And I was able to read temperature exactly same as ph and monitor/control things as usual. Following are the steps:
- Use atlas ezo rtd circuit. Configure it to use i2c mode, by shorting the PRB, RX pins, as specified in the atlas scientific RTC circuit guide
- Check the i2c address, for me it was 0xF6 , which translated to 106 in decimal
- In reef-pi add a new driver of type ph-ezo and address 106
- Add a new analog input with pin 0 and associate it with the new driver.
- Add a new ph probe under the ph module and associate it with the new analog input.

That's it,., the temperature in celsius will be monitored soon after that.

I had anticipated that this will be possible, i.e. the existing ezo ph driver should work with temperature and ORP probe but never tested it first hand, hence was not comfortable advocating it. Now that I have tested it personally (and will use it for one of my setups), I can recommend this. It also gives me more confidence that the ORP , EC (salinity), DO, O2, CO2 all those sensors will work seamlessly with the ph driver. Note, this only means taking the readings, users have to use atlas scientific library for all other operations.

I think this will be useful for those who are frustrated with ds18b20 issues. Thankfully its not been a issue for me, but for the rest we have option now.

I hope I'll get to update the docs before 5.0 release to include this (that reef-pi support ezo temperature probe).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back