reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's probably just a matter of how patient and lucky I am as to what I get.... At least I've learned a little patience since being in the hobby.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's probably just a matter of how patient and lucky I am as to what I get.... At least I've learned a little patience since being in the hobby.
If you are just going to run reef-pi then any version will work, but if you run the desktop image and want to run the desktop or a GUI vs CLI then you will need a higher end model. I have reef-pi running on the original zero w just fine, but its all CLI access based and browser for reef-pi access. It comes down to what you want to run on the rpi, the more stuff you want to run on it the more hardware is needed. :)

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just going to run reef-pi then any version will work, but if you run the desktop image and want to run the desktop or a GUI vs CLI then you will need a higher end model. I have reef-pi running on the original zero w just fine, but its all CLI access based and browser for reef-pi access. It comes down to what you want to run on the rpi, the more stuff you want to run on it the more hardware is needed. :)
Since learning how to setup an SD card for headless startup without connecting to a keyboard, mouse or monitor, I have no need for a CLI or GUI on my pi's other than an SSH from my Linux work station. That little trick saves quite a bit of time when setting up a card.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since learning how to setup an SD card for headless startup without connecting to a keyboard, mouse or monitor, I have no need for a CLI or GUI on my pi's other than an SSH from my Linux work station. That little trick saves quite a bit of time when setting up a card.
Exactly, how I have always done them. I helped @robsworld78 update the script that they are using for robotank and it walks you through setting up your pi for reef-pi for robotank OR any reef-pi and it's really easy to do now. Tools are out there that really makes it much easier to get things going...

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, how I have always done them. I helped @robsworld78 update the script that they are using for robotank and it walks you through setting up your pi for reef-pi for robotank OR any reef-pi and it's really easy to do now. Tools are out there that really makes it much easier to get things going...
Care to share that script?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share that script?
Not sure they will let me link to the google docs page - https://www.robo-tank.ca/reef-pi_Related_User_Manuals the top link from that page from google docs has the installation manual and link to the script, the script is for robotank but also can be used for any installation, pretty slick and the document walks you through the whole headless stuff.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure they will let me link to the google docs page - https://www.robo-tank.ca/reef-pi_Related_User_Manuals the top link from that page from google docs has the installation manual and link to the script, the script is for robotank but also can be used for any installation, pretty slick and the document walks you through the whole headless stuff.
Awesome.. I'll check it out when I get home.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also planning on creating a thread so people can find it, IMO there's no better way to setup.

I got caught going down the prometheus / grafana rabbit hole last night, didn't get a chance to dig too much into the script...

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Grafana, it'd be interesting to see what others have setup.. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine.

I'm thinking of integrating some basic raspberry pi data into it just to make it a bit more complete..

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Grafana, it'd be interesting to see what others have setup.. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine.

I'm thinking of integrating some basic raspberry pi data into it just to make it a bit more complete..
I wish I could do a dedicated blog/docs on this, but here is the tldr version;
- I have one dashboard each for individual tanks. That shows ato, ph, temp, light etc.. whatever that build has
- I have a global dashboard that consolidated all key parameters (ph, temperature, ato) and some ambient readings (temperature for example). I use this as Home Screen, to get a glimpse of fleet wide stats
- I have the stock node exporter dashboard , imported from grafana community hub that shows low level system metrics (it requires node exporter installed and running on all pi )

Other than these keyed dashboard I also use a whole bunch of adhoc dashboard to test things like light profile, psu setup (under voltage detection ).
I do use alerting from several of these dashboard

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could do a dedicated blog/docs on this, but here is the tldr version;
- I have one dashboard each for individual tanks. That shows ato, ph, temp, light etc.. whatever that build has
- I have a global dashboard that consolidated all key parameters (ph, temperature, ato) and some ambient readings (temperature for example). I use this as Home Screen, to get a glimpse of fleet wide stats
- I have the stock node exporter dashboard , imported from grafana community hub that shows low level system metrics (it requires node exporter installed and running on all pi )

Other than these keyed dashboard I also use a whole bunch of adhoc dashboard to test things like light profile, psu setup (under voltage detection ).
I do use alerting from several of these dashboard

I've been playing with variables and whatnot to setup some "template" type dashboards.. It's coming along pretty nice for someone who never heard of prometheus or grafana two years ago..

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib how difficult would it be to expose the "name" of the reef-pi install via prometheus??

1643840660295.png

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib how difficult would it be to expose the "name" of the reef-pi install via prometheus??

1643840660295.png
I have multiple and what I have learned to do in order to make it easier in grafana is I include the name in each of the function. For example I have a coral QT tank and I include coral in each of the name like this...

Screenshot at 2022-02-02 16-40-45.png

repeat for ato etc, just include the name in the object that you are defining then it will show up that way in grafana. :)

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple and what I have learned to do in order to make it easier in grafana is I include the name in each of the function. For example I have a coral QT tank and I include coral in each of the name like this...

Screenshot at 2022-02-02 16-40-45.png

repeat for ato etc, just include the name in the object that you are defining then it will show up that way in grafana. :)

Yeah, I do that too, but I want the name of the device running for something else... ;)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1643840660295.png
Prometheus is a metric system , hence it only supports numeric values. We can use the labels feature for this instead.

I configure Prometheus config with the job name same as the reef-pi controller name , and then use the built in “job” label to display the controller name as job label value

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get some of @Michael Lane goby hat boards made up and looks like pca9685pw are OOS everywhere, I assume @robsworld78 you are seeing the same thing, where are folks ordering from etc...just thought I would ask.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back