reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ok well at least I am not the only one missing something. I'm not sure if the Pi pico W is any better but think they are are fairly easy to come by vs. the regular Pi's

EDIT: of course this can't replace the regular Pi as a base unit. Just handy for remote hardware functions etc. I would keep the ESP32 just for folk who might like that one better etc.
Came across my radar.

Like any of these you will need to eventually convert the pwm to 10V analog or 10v pwm for your drivers..

Looks like $35US..
;)

Last edited:

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol well I decided to make a PCB I was trying this cheap place in China for giggles and there a few more things I wanted to do with it, so it got a bit too complicated for my liking to hack it together. I was also curious what I will get, but at 2 dollars for 5 boards. That's crazy. I'm assuming maybe they are making it back a bit from shipping or that was a first-time deal maybe it's JLBPCB. I saw someone mention it someplace, so I thought I give it a try.

The light control will be local to the aquarium anyhow. This controller is partially for fun to monitor the fans and temperature in my light fixture. Still waiting on LEDs anyhow. Then the next mission is my main reef pi board which I made a while ago. I want to make another remote module board for my water change system. Going fully auto as much as I can.

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H E L P P L E A S E

I installed reefpi 5.3 and saw check boxes for the tabs all unchecked after I moved over to the Admin Configuration plan. I checked the boxes I usually have showing and updated. Now I can't get to the Admin tab so I can't fix whatever it was I did. How do I fix this?

THANKS

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction the Configuration tab does not show up. I also get http error 404 when going to reef pi ui.

Thanks

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H E L P P L E A S E

I installed reefpi 5.3 and saw check boxes for the tabs all unchecked after I moved over to the Admin Configuration plan. I checked the boxes I usually have showing and updated. Now I can't get to the Admin tab so I can't fix whatever it was I did. How do I fix this?

THANKS
Did you also restart the PI ? As far as I know you are supposed to restart the PI after changing the active tabs in the admin page.

I would definitely recommend to export your Reef-Pi database now as a backup. I think I will also start doing this regularly and before each update.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's difficult without configuration tab ... Sry didn't read that carefully enough.

If you can get into the Reef-Pi WebInterface, try this link:
http://reefpi.local/configuration/admin
If you named your ReefPi differently, you will need to change the name in the address accordingly.

You can also try the things mentioned in the Troubleshooting guide, except for resetting the database of course.
There it is also mentioned that the database file is located in "/var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db". Database commands don't work until you have stopped the reefPi service if I remember correctly. If you want to download the mentioned database File using an SCP file transfer you might need to do the same. I'm using WinSCP, my login looks like this:
1665476188839.png

I believe that you can also change the hostname to "reefpi" or what name you are using to access reefpi in your network.

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit late to the discussion but i had the exact same issue. "Nous A1T "sockets from Amazon are cheaper than HS110, run on Tasmota, have power measurement and statistics etc, can have simple programming running on them as a backup if reefpi fails, and most importantly are barely bigger than a full sized grounded plug so you can put a bunch of them in a normal power bar next to each other. (Has to be A1T, not A1, and not from other brands that look exactly the same either, most of those can't run Tasmota anymore sadly, but the A1T do and already have Tasmota on them, not the chinese cloud software)

if money isn't as much of an object you can get Shelly S, which can also run on Tasmota and are higher quality, but also almost double the price.

There's a sad lack of individually controllable powerbars with power measurement and enough slots in Germany that aren't GHL or even more expensive. The most there is are ones with 3 or 4 sockets, and those are more expensive than getting the individual plugs.
hi
sorry for not replying until now, I'm reading the forum right now, I'm on page 331 and I've ordered it. thanks again and here is a picture of my cube130
1665500804639.jpeg
1665500804639.jpeg

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing work on the Esp32 integration . Got a working prototype Esp32 code that supports outlet, inlet, pwm and analog inputs , ready , with accompanying reef-pi driver https://github.com/reef-pi/drivers/tree/main/esp32
Testing it for few days now , with ds18b20 integration . And now working on expanding that test build to include all features , leading to a 12v all inclusive controller
4FF78951-1185-48B9-9B69-82EE5B0219D7.jpeg

I want to use this for one of my pico , it should allow controlling light , pump , ato , dosing , temperature all using 12v components and with a single 12v power supply . I’m also employing these mini toggle switches, that I can configure to manual, automated or off mode. Using relay after years, and I want to also experiment with customizability around fallback (no or nc).
will see how this performs , and might start a dedicated thread if this turn out awesome
Hi Ranjib
can you tell me where you got the case from?

weilerda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know if stepper driver board is needed to run stepper pump? Or can reef pi handle it. Trying to figure out what is needed and how to wire. I looked at the video posted on here but am still confused. I see the driver in reef pi but am unsure how it works. Appreciate any help or guidance. I have robo tank v3 if that makes any difference with the latest version of reef pi.

@Ranjib and @robsworld78,

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H E L P P L E A S E

THANKS
Which version you were running before ? The capability ui page might take a few seconds to load the correct values (it’s an ui bug), if you click on couple of other tabs and click back in config section , it should load up the correct values , I recall encountering this couple of times. But I thought it’s fixed in 5.4

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you also restart the PI ? As far as I know you are supposed to restart the PI after changing the active tabs in the admin page.

I would definitely recommend to export your Reef-Pi database now as a backup. I think I will also start doing this regularly and before each update.
Generallg reload reef-pi should be enough , any configuration change requires reef-pi software reload . Sometime this (software reload ) does not work , hence we reboot pi. But that’s should not be common , if so, it’s a bug and I should look into it.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib
can you tell me where you got the case from?
Amazon. Search for project enclosure box
Like this : https://a.co/d/e3Da3i4

They come in various sizes . Very durable and feels awesome to touch . They are hard to work with , 3.5mm jack connectors require some extra filing to mount , the thickness is bit higher .
That extra work , and cost is what drove me to 3D printing . But then 3D printed wants are less durable and can not be on hot / humid areas (pla that i use )

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon. Search for project enclosure box
Like this : https://a.co/d/e3Da3i4

They come in various sizes . Very durable and feels awesome to touch . They are hard to work with , 3.5mm jack connectors require some extra filing to mount , the thickness is bit higher .
That extra work , and cost is what drove me to 3D printing . But then 3D printed wants are less durable and can not be on hot / humid areas (pla that i use )
thanks
i would like to use 4 dosing pumps with your laso 2 x 2 setup because i have used up almost all gpio but didn't want to use another raspi i would like to use an extension with the mcp 23017 but need help on how i use the mcp or if he can the reef-pi works together.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know if stepper driver board is needed to run stepper pump? Or can reef pi handle it. Trying to figure out what is needed and how to wire. I looked at the video posted on here but am still confused. I see the driver in reef pi but am unsure how it works. Appreciate any help or guidance. I have robo tank v3 if that makes any difference with the latest version of reef pi.

@Ranjib and @robsworld78

You will need a dedicated stepper driver , in fact I have only tested my setup with drv8825 . In the ui you have to associate 5 outlets (could be pi gpio ) that controls direction , microstepping details and speed (step pin )

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks
i would like to use 4 dosing pumps with your laso 2 x 2 setup because i have used up almost all gpio but didn't want to use another raspi i would like to use an extension with the mcp 23017 but need help on how i use the mcp or if he can the reef-pi works together.
I think we’ll need a driver for mcp23017 , it will not work as it is

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm I guess I didn't realize there wasn't support of a I2C IO expander. Not sure if I might need that also, but I haven't planned out the main controller a whole ton yet. Sort of depends on were I put my dossers as well and if I change them to a stepper or something more compatible. Currently I have one I built a while back that uses it's own I2C slave interface that I made up to be a bit similar to the atlas-scientific ones (other than one controller runs four motors) using one of those tiny aurdino boards. That way the on-off timing can be more accurate. I suspect I would have to write my own driver for that setup however.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back