reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef-pi does not have any support for radio based drivers. We'll need a driver module to support this. Is this an opensource/common software that we can integrate with?
Hello Ranjib
is freely accessible
https://github.com/WiringPi/WiringPi
Use this, the other one is outdated, but you can copy the content to the old directory. It then ran with the other controller
git://github.com/xkonni/raspberry-remote.git
i would like to use the t3 from atlas to measure ph and salt density the third i don't know yet do you have a suggestion?
when setting up the t3 I would be grateful to you.
and a parts list what I still need for it

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ranjib
is freely accessible
https://github.com/WiringPi/WiringPi
Use this, the other one is outdated, but you can copy the content to the old directory. It then ran with the other controller
git://github.com/xkonni/raspberry-remote.git
i would like to use the t3 from atlas to measure ph and salt density the third i don't know yet do you have a suggestion?
when setting up the t3 I would be grateful to you.
and a parts list what I still need for it
i dont understand what you want us to do with wiring pi?
t3 can already be used for orp, ec or ph using the existing ezo ph driver. I have used it for a while.

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont understand what you want us to do with wiring pi?
t3 can already be used for orp, ec or ph using the existing ezo ph driver. I have used it for a while.
Well, I'm keeping a few things open and because I still have so much from the radio-controlled sockets. have would not be soo important. You already do a lot of my respect for your commitment.
That with the t3 module sounds very good. My question would be, will only the ph setting be displayed in your software or also e.g. salinity settings etc. Do you also have an alternative for the atlas probe Conductivity Probe K 10.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(...) Do you also have an alternative for the atlas probe Conductivity Probe K 10.
I have been looking for this myself, but since I didn't find too much, I started building one myself. Not sure if that's what you meant, but it seems like a standard nickel plated audio jack has something like K=5.

Martin Lowry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about 6.0 release and what are the major features I want to see. I want to work on docs, but its almost 2nd priority compared to the core controller software.

On the software side, i want to integrate esp32 based capabilities. This is triggered by the shortage of raspberry pi, their cost and ability to augment the capabilities across multiple controller hardware. In that regards, i was tinkering with esp32 recently. As of now I think i am quite comfortable with getting a dumb wifi based controller capable of relay control, pwm output and temperature sensors reading. Over the past two weeks i got an end to end prototype woriking capable of doing all of those three via http api. I dont know if I'll have the time to integrate ph IC , but if not we'll address that in next following minor release. Other than the esp32 controller software, we need a reef-pi driver counter part that will use the api to read temperature/ato sensor value from esp32 and then control relay (or other driver based outlets). Finally we want the changes to be able to run reef-pi in non-pi, x86(intel mini pc) architectures, without devmode. It should be possible to run reef-pi in orange pi or something similar (since pi specific dependencies will be made optional), but I'll only release builds for x86 and test on that, other than Pi.

7E09FC4F-E3FC-44A0-840D-56DFF7B3590C.jpeg

I started with the docs, because as i am doing this i realized this will entail significant documentation requirement for any users (who are already not familiar with reef-pi), not making incremental upgrade. There is no way I can catch up on existing docs lag, do the new software coding and also add docs for the new software/hardware changes coming. At the same time, i think documentation is getting to a place that its hurting the project.

So here is what i am thinking, i am planning to make the documentation process continuous, instead of trying to catch up on the lag, i'll start creating place holder documentation here in the sub-forum, make them sticky and we'll setup some convention to continuously update them. Because we can not have multiple person editing the same post, all of these threads first post will be from me. You all can tag me in different threads or comment there to suggest, ask and collectively improve it from there on. If not immediately, i can regularly go through the requests weekly , or monthly and incorporate those feedback. I think it will make the documentation process sustainable.

What you all think? makes sense? or bad idea? Irrespective of what happens on the documentation side, I am bit excited about the esp32 integrations. At 6$ a piece they bring lot of bangs for the bucks. It also paves the way for easier analog sensor integration, lower power consumption, more pwm outputs ... lots of potential :) . I dont know how the reliability will be , in terms of hardware, wifi etc. It will be interesting. Given its so popular in IoT devices , im not too worried, I'm more curious about long term performance of ds18b20 etc. wifi reliability, ability to multiple concurrent logic etc. But we'll deal with those later.. and start small,. a dumb wifi controllable driver will be the starting point, along with a set of tested hardware, like:

esp32 board:
ds18b20 as temperature sensor, sainsmart relay as relay mechanism,
pwm based power mosfet controller for led,dc motor (peristaltic pump) control:

A wonderful side effect of this will be i'll free up a bunch of pi zero that im using for different type of sensor reading across house and garden :) , all of those could be offloaded to esp32 and I can use the pi zero for some higher purpose :) .

Big Thumbs up regarding the docs process! Those ESP's are great little modules, lots of GPIO's to play with. Exiting stuff!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me understand the "Transform Function" on the PH configuration page?
transform text filed takes any expression compatible to goevaluate and with a variable `v` representing the raw probe value.,
For example
Code:
2*v
will double the raw probe value. It can be used for any kind of unit conversion (Fahrenheit to Celsius for example) or other type of sensor reading transformation (potentially even calibration)

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo Ranjib
I would like to run the dosing pumps via the PCA9685 and not the GPio from the pi3. Is that possible? And which atlas probe should I use for salinity K0.1 K01 K10 or does it not matter?
Kind regards

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo Ranjib
I would like to run the dosing pumps via the PCA9685 and not the GPio from the pi3. Is that possible? And which atlas probe should I use for salinity K0.1 K01 K10 or does it not matter?
Kind regards
You can use an output from the PCA9685, connect it to your circuit where the GPIO would go. The K1 probe should be good.

rich1911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just getting started. Will be running reef-pi/Robo-Tank. Setting up Prometheus/Grafana on remote machine.

@Ranjib Once "Enable Prometheus" is selected, how do you configure Prometheus to connect with reef-pi? I can run node_exporter on my rPi and connect just fine. I can also see my metrics at <ip_addr>/x/metrics. What is the proper syntax in the prometheus.yml configuration file? Or am I missing something? Please explain, thanks!

Also, there is a typo in the API JSON file (swagger.json)
"/api/analog_inuputs": {

rich1911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just getting started. Will be running reef-pi/Robo-Tank. Setting up Prometheus/Grafana on remote machine.

@Ranjib Once "Enable Prometheus" is selected, how do you configure Prometheus to connect with reef-pi? I can run node_exporter on my rPi and connect just fine. I can also see my metrics at <ip_addr>/x/metrics. What is the proper syntax in the prometheus.yml configuration file? Or am I missing something? Please explain, thanks!

Also, there is a typo in the API JSON file (swagger.json)
"/api/analog_inuputs": {
Ha, found it.

# Default path is "metrics"
metrics_path: /x/metrics

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, found it.

# Default path is "metrics"
metrics_path: /x/metrics
i use multiple a single central prometheus server running on mini pc to scrape multile reef-pi metrics and more(node exporter ) ,
Code:
  - job_name: 'ryan-reef-pi-app'
    metrics_path: '/x/metrics'
    static_configs:
    - targets: ['192.168.86.143']

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back