reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Coolhack

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ok, so i took the light apart and have pictures of the inside. I also made a video as well, see if i can't upload it to.

Attachments

• 20220912_211605.jpg
    20220912_211605.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220912_211630.jpg
    20220912_211630.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220912_211655.jpg
    20220912_211655.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220912_211707.jpg
    20220912_211707.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 51
Reef Chasers Aquaculture

Sral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
See if the video uploads. Is there a way to do this without the nexus app upgrade from Reef Breeders?
Sadly the video did not upload. I guess it'seither too big or there is a general block on videos.

So just to be sure: you have a Reefbreeders Photon 48-V2 Pro ? That's the only 48 inch v2 version without wifi I could find on their website.
[Edit]: just read through the text, the pro has a WiFi chip inside, the older v2 does not.

So judging from their website, there is for example an Apex VDM integration Kit. I'm pretty sure that this is only a 0-10V PWM input, so that should definitely be an option to integrate with Reef-Pi. Problem is, of course, that it's quite pricey @100$ ^^

Judging from the fact that this is possible and that there is a installation video, you can probably DIY it as well. You could also try to contact the manufacturer and ask if that's possible, just to be sure (as currently for example, the APex VDM modules are out of stock).

I would recommend starting a separate thread for this project, where we can go over the details.

Last edited:
World Wide Corals
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sadly the video did not upload. I guess it'seither too big or there is a general block on videos.

So just to be sure: you have a Reefbreeders Photon 48-V2 Pro ? That's the only 48 inch v2 version without wifi I could find on their website.
[Edit]: just read through the text, the pro has a WiFi chip inside, the older v2 does not.

So judging from their website, there is for example an Apex VDM integration Kit. I'm pretty sure that this is only a 0-10V PWM input, so that should definitely be an option to integrate with Reef-Pi. Problem is, of course, that it's quite pricey @100$ ^^

Judging from the fact that this is possible and that there is a installation video, you can probably DIY it as well. You could also try to contact the manufacturer and ask if that's possible, just to be sure (as currently for example, the APex VDM modules are out of stock).

I would recommend starting a separate thread for this project, where we can go over the details.
Use YouTube for video, and link it in your thread. Use the dedicated thread to continue the discussion .

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
last week I revisited my dosing setup. For long I wanted the dc pumps to be controllable manually . Both speed and direction. This is useful in initial setup (direction ) and calibration . But rarely required once things are dialed in. The manual off also provides some safety and convenience during maintenance.
here is the new design , with a dc motor controller inside the peristaltic pump housing. This allows direction and speed control without any external input .
D180C6A7-79EC-4C9E-81C6-0219F919F468.jpeg

Side view
047F7BC1-2FA6-4461-A0BA-5E90F6934E1C.jpeg

Front view
7C837B2F-7FD6-4070-AF2E-F0A324382034.jpeg

So far , happy with the outcome . For ato this does not matter since the flow rate (100ml/min) is fairly small , even for pico tanks . But for dosing this can be handy , as I can tune in the speed to match /calibrate a required rate . Direction control is handy too.
I have published the 3D designs in thingiverse if any of you are interested , https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5508550
And here is the controller I’m using in this build , 3$ a piece , https://a.co/d/ejsbYMu

Nutramar Foods

geekengineer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Its going to be hard to figure out what I missed the last 4 years or so. How is reef-pi doing these days? lol Any new exciting things, hardware, etc. or would that be hard to explain? I also was curious if it would work on an older ras-pi like a rasberry pi B+ 512MB for instance? Since can't hardly get the new ones.

AquaCave Logo Banner

eggi55

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hallo
ich heiße Heiko und komme aus Deutschland mein Englisch ist nicht gut und arbeite mit einem Übersetzer.
sowas wie reef-pi habe ich schon lange gesucht. ich besitze ein Serra Bio Cube 130.
reef-pi läuft bei mir erstmal zum testen habe mir die Beleuchtung mir powerLEDs gebaut mit je 7 kaltweiß weiß warmweiß und blau für mondlicht habe ich 3. ich lasse die Beleuchtung nicht mit 100% laufen wollte noch Reserve haben. mein Frage ist kann ich über den I2C PWM und Ph laufen lassen?
Schöne Grüße aus Deutschland.

Translation:
Hi
My name is Heiko and I come from Germany, my English is not good and I work with a translator.
I've been looking for something like reef-pi for a long time. I own a Serra Bio Cube 130.
reef-pi is running for me first of all for testing, I built the lighting for myself with powerLEDs, each with 7 cold white, warm white and blue for moonlight, I have 3. I don't let the lighting run at 100% and wanted to have a reserve. my question is can i run pwm and ph over the i2c?
Nice greetings from Germany.

geekengineer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Mein deutsch ist nicht gut, das macht uns beide aus.

I'm not a ton familiar with what reef-pi supports as I never got a chance to dive into it a ton yet. I believe the raspberry pi has some build in PWM outputs at least the later ones. I don't know how well they work or if you would want to get an external I2C based PWM chip. I usually run the ph circuit over I2C but I use the atlas-scientific module. Others modules might work differently etc. Anyways I am sure Ranjab can tell you more.

I would be curious tho if there is a list somewhere of what reef-pi supports?

Avast

Sral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hallo
ich heiße Heiko und komme aus Deutschland mein Englisch ist nicht gut und arbeite mit einem Übersetzer.
sowas wie reef-pi habe ich schon lange gesucht. ich besitze ein Serra Bio Cube 130.
reef-pi läuft bei mir erstmal zum testen habe mir die Beleuchtung mir powerLEDs gebaut mit je 7 kaltweiß weiß warmweiß und blau für mondlicht habe ich 3. ich lasse die Beleuchtung nicht mit 100% laufen wollte noch Reserve haben. mein Frage ist kann ich über den I2C PWM und Ph laufen lassen?
Schöne Grüße aus Deutschland.

Translation:
Hi
My name is Heiko and I come from Germany, my English is not good and I work with a translator.
I've been looking for something like reef-pi for a long time. I own a Serra Bio Cube 130.
reef-pi is running for me first of all for testing, I built the lighting for myself with powerLEDs, each with 7 cold white, warm white and blue for moonlight, I have 3. I don't let the lighting run at 100% and wanted to have a reserve. my question is can i run pwm and ph over the i2c?
Nice greetings from Germany.
Moin, um deine Frage zu beantworten: absolut !
Sowohl PWM Kanäle, als auch die pH-Wert Messung wird im allgemeinen über eine I2C-Verbindung realisiert. Hier sind ein paar alte Anleitungen dafür. Die pH-Wert Messung dort wir ebenfalls über einen (älteren) ATlas Instruments pH chip realisiert.

Translation:
Hi, to answer your question: absolutely !
Both the PWM channels and pH measurement are typically done via an I2C connection. You can find some old guides here. The pH measurement there is also done with an (old) Atlas Instruments pH chip.

Sral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I guess one thing I should ask about is there a way to make your own drivers if you want to?
The software is open-source, as long as you understand the language (mostly go, from what I understand from this thread), that should be absolutely possible.

eggi55

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ich danke erstmal für die Hilfe,das es machbar ist habe ich im Internet schon gelesen mir ging es nur darum ob es in der reef-pi vorgesehen ist oder mit einem extra raspberry pi machen muß.
Was dann wiederum ich ein problem habe 2 raspis an einer festen ip adresse zu vereinen. Habe mich dangit nicht so beschäftigt und lebe dangit auf Kriegsfuß.
Ich werde es versuchen ob es klappt habe heute alles bekommen.

Join the movement!

geekengineer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Not sure if I follow as my German is pretty rusty, but are you trying to use 2 raspberry pi's? and you only have one static IP address on your network? I think there was a thread here sort of talking about static IPs when you have an internet provider that doesn't give you one or charges extra for that. However if you want two then I am not sure if you can get two dynamic DNS points that would be a way around it. Or are you asking if you need two and I would assume you only need one raspberry pi unless you have more than one setup you want to do or some other ones around etc. That might be why you can't access VNC outside your house cause you will need to configure your router for that I believe and have some way to get to your router via dynamic DNS or static IP. It might still be a good idea to translate to English if you can so others might help.

This thread might help also. no static IP

How have you used eggcrate in or around your aquarium?

• Aquarium lid

Votes: 87 30.1%
  • Frag rack

Votes: 145 50.2%
  • Skimmer stand

Votes: 86 29.8%
  • Sump Divider

Votes: 60 20.8%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 42 14.5%
  • I have not used eggcrate in or around my aquarium

Votes: 75 26.0%
AquaCave Logo Banner