reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo
ich heiße Heiko und komme aus Deutschland mein Englisch ist nicht gut und arbeite mit einem Übersetzer.
sowas wie reef-pi habe ich schon lange gesucht. ich besitze ein Serra Bio Cube 130.
reef-pi läuft bei mir erstmal zum testen habe mir die Beleuchtung mir powerLEDs gebaut mit je 7 kaltweiß weiß warmweiß und blau für mondlicht habe ich 3. ich lasse die Beleuchtung nicht mit 100% laufen wollte noch Reserve haben. mein Frage ist kann ich über den I2C PWM und Ph laufen lassen?
Schöne Grüße aus Deutschland.

Translation:
Hi
My name is Heiko and I come from Germany, my English is not good and I work with a translator.
I've been looking for something like reef-pi for a long time. I own a Serra Bio Cube 130.
reef-pi is running for me first of all for testing, I built the lighting for myself with powerLEDs, each with 7 cold white, warm white and blue for moonlight, I have 3. I don't let the lighting run at 100% and wanted to have a reserve. my question is can i run pwm and ph over the i2c?
Nice greetings from Germany.
Moin, um deine Frage zu beantworten: absolut !
Sowohl PWM Kanäle, als auch die pH-Wert Messung wird im allgemeinen über eine I2C-Verbindung realisiert. Hier sind ein paar alte Anleitungen dafür. Die pH-Wert Messung dort wir ebenfalls über einen (älteren) ATlas Instruments pH chip realisiert.

Translation:
Hi, to answer your question: absolutely !
Both the PWM channels and pH measurement are typically done via an I2C connection. You can find some old guides here. The pH measurement there is also done with an (old) Atlas Instruments pH chip.

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich danke erstmal für die Hilfe,das es machbar ist habe ich im Internet schon gelesen mir ging es nur darum ob es in der reef-pi vorgesehen ist oder mit einem extra raspberry pi machen muß.
Was dann wiederum ich ein problem habe 2 raspis an einer festen ip adresse zu vereinen. Habe mich dangit nicht so beschäftigt und lebe dangit auf Kriegsfuß.
Ich werde es versuchen ob es klappt habe heute alles bekommen.

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
habe vergessen zu erwähnen, das ich VNC nutze um von der Arbeit aus darauf zu zugreifen zu können .mit zwei raspis habe ich es nicht hinbekommen im heimnetzwerk zu hause kein problem

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I follow as my German is pretty rusty, but are you trying to use 2 raspberry pi's? and you only have one static IP address on your network? I think there was a thread here sort of talking about static IPs when you have an internet provider that doesn't give you one or charges extra for that. However if you want two then I am not sure if you can get two dynamic DNS points that would be a way around it. Or are you asking if you need two and I would assume you only need one raspberry pi unless you have more than one setup you want to do or some other ones around etc. That might be why you can't access VNC outside your house cause you will need to configure your router for that I believe and have some way to get to your router via dynamic DNS or static IP. It might still be a good idea to translate to English if you can so others might help.

This thread might help also. no static IP

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips
tried it in reef-pi and ph (atlas) and pwm both work. It's a great project that I've been looking for for a long time. For my pond I have something similar, but it was more work, the installation work was from 2011, I had to find out a lot myself.
What I'm missing here would be wireless socket support. I have one question, how did you solve that with ATO if the photoelectric liquid level sensor failed and the feed pump didn't switch off?

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if you are asking me? I haven't solve that sort of problem as I haven't got that far yet. lol There might be a way to have a redundant liquid level sensor if it was a concern. maybe 'or' them together in depending on the logic of course.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips
tried it in reef-pi and ph (atlas) and pwm both work. It's a great project that I've been looking for for a long time. For my pond I have something similar, but it was more work, the installation work was from 2011, I had to find out a lot myself.
What I'm missing here would be wireless socket support. I have one question, how did you solve that with ATO if the photoelectric liquid level sensor failed and the feed pump didn't switch off?
For wifi sockets look at the Kasa HS300, it's possible to configure one within reef-pi. For ATO you can set a maximum runtime the pump is allowed to run, if the sensor doesn't shut it off and the timer expires it'll get turned off.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips
we use a combination of feature called `alert on usage above` and `disable on alert` . You can observe the general ato usage in chart (Say its 30s in normally) and set a value of 100s as `alert on usage above` and turn on the `disable on alert`, this will send an alert and switch off the ato pump. I use it extensively, and this is how i always find out my ato container has finished or my overflow is clogged (common problem with my red sea gate valve that leads to sump water level changes)

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wifi sockets look at the Kasa HS300, it's possible to configure one within reef-pi. For ATO you can set a maximum runtime the pump is allowed to run, if the sensor doesn't shut it off and the timer expires it'll get turned off.
sounds good i can't use it in germany because of 110v

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we use a combination of feature called `alert on usage above` and `disable on alert` . You can observe the general ato usage in chart (Say its 30s in normally) and set a value of 100s as `alert on usage above` and turn on the `disable on alert`, this will send an alert and switch off the ato pump. I use it extensively, and this is how i always find out my ato container has finished or my overflow is clogged (common problem with my red sea gate valve that leads to sump water level changes)
thank you very much will implement it. it's a great project and all the work you put into it. I still have questions, only Ph is supported and what do you use as a filter for your saltwater aquarium search, something reasonable and not what the dealer wants to sell.

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much will implement it. it's a great project and all the work you put into it. I still have questions, only Ph is supported and what do you use as a filter for your saltwater aquarium search, something reasonable and not what the dealer wants to sell.
I only got to page 100. I am using this radio module in another software for pond control. I would be happy if this could also be used in the reef-pi.
433 Mhz Sender Empfänger RF Funk Modul FS1000A xy-mk-5v Arduino Raspberry Pi

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for my 80G reefer i use rollermat + skimmer, bag of carbon. For my nano and picos i use back chamber filter floss, hob filter , chemipure blue . This all depends on your tanks size and amount of feeding. My recommended filtration is not best. It is aimed for relatively low feeding, low bioload, blue light and bi-weekly to monthly 10% water change setup. But this allows me to keep algae at controllable state till i grow out available real estate or shade them. The tanks internal bio filtration capability also increases over time.
ph and any analog sensor through file driver is supported. Are you looking for something specific?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got to page 100. I am using this radio module in another software for pond control. I would be happy if this could also be used in the reef-pi.
433 Mhz Sender Empfänger RF Funk Modul FS1000A xy-mk-5v Arduino Raspberry Pi
reef-pi does not have any support for radio based drivers. We'll need a driver module to support this. Is this an opensource/common software that we can integrate with?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iPhone shots with orange filter .
This rainbow echinata was 2 heads 6 years back. I don’t know how many head it has now .. probably 30-40 . It strings everything nearby. I’m planning to break this rock apart. Else it will slowly eat all other corals in that rock . It has already obliterated bulk of the zoa in that mechanism rock. I have those in other places , but the lord colony, I can’t

5FB97C1C-3ECD-41E4-A596-70DF5399BF06.jpeg

Speaking of the acan lord
FE72ABB0-1264-436E-8BCF-8B34CB1F576C.jpeg

just like the rainbow echinata this too has grown from two heads to 20 . Not as big as the rainbow acan , and probably 1 year younger colony .
Miyagi tort slowly growing up , from battle corals . Dosing is only all for reef , 10s every 2hr , on timer . Dilution is 3 tbsp in 1l rodi water. Each bottle runs for a week. I intend to switch to 1g container and increase the concentration to make it work for 1month .., almost 11 months old
2FE770AF-755F-4119-BB13-260FBCD6AE5A.jpeg

strawberry shortcake
38F339CD-8758-4747-8C28-E4034FA60445.jpeg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about 6.0 release and what are the major features I want to see. I want to work on docs, but its almost 2nd priority compared to the core controller software.

On the software side, i want to integrate esp32 based capabilities. This is triggered by the shortage of raspberry pi, their cost and ability to augment the capabilities across multiple controller hardware. In that regards, i was tinkering with esp32 recently. As of now I think i am quite comfortable with getting a dumb wifi based controller capable of relay control, pwm output and temperature sensors reading. Over the past two weeks i got an end to end prototype woriking capable of doing all of those three via http api. I dont know if I'll have the time to integrate ph IC , but if not we'll address that in next following minor release. Other than the esp32 controller software, we need a reef-pi driver counter part that will use the api to read temperature/ato sensor value from esp32 and then control relay (or other driver based outlets). Finally we want the changes to be able to run reef-pi in non-pi, x86(intel mini pc) architectures, without devmode. It should be possible to run reef-pi in orange pi or something similar (since pi specific dependencies will be made optional), but I'll only release builds for x86 and test on that, other than Pi.

7E09FC4F-E3FC-44A0-840D-56DFF7B3590C.jpeg

I started with the docs, because as i am doing this i realized this will entail significant documentation requirement for any users (who are already not familiar with reef-pi), not making incremental upgrade. There is no way I can catch up on existing docs lag, do the new software coding and also add docs for the new software/hardware changes coming. At the same time, i think documentation is getting to a place that its hurting the project.

So here is what i am thinking, i am planning to make the documentation process continuous, instead of trying to catch up on the lag, i'll start creating place holder documentation here in the sub-forum, make them sticky and we'll setup some convention to continuously update them. Because we can not have multiple person editing the same post, all of these threads first post will be from me. You all can tag me in different threads or comment there to suggest, ask and collectively improve it from there on. If not immediately, i can regularly go through the requests weekly , or monthly and incorporate those feedback. I think it will make the documentation process sustainable.

What you all think? makes sense? or bad idea? Irrespective of what happens on the documentation side, I am bit excited about the esp32 integrations. At 6$ a piece they bring lot of bangs for the bucks. It also paves the way for easier analog sensor integration, lower power consumption, more pwm outputs ... lots of potential :) . I dont know how the reliability will be , in terms of hardware, wifi etc. It will be interesting. Given its so popular in IoT devices , im not too worried, I'm more curious about long term performance of ds18b20 etc. wifi reliability, ability to multiple concurrent logic etc. But we'll deal with those later.. and start small,. a dumb wifi controllable driver will be the starting point, along with a set of tested hardware, like:

esp32 board:
ds18b20 as temperature sensor, sainsmart relay as relay mechanism,
pwm based power mosfet controller for led,dc motor (peristaltic pump) control:

A wonderful side effect of this will be i'll free up a bunch of pi zero that im using for different type of sensor reading across house and garden :) , all of those could be offloaded to esp32 and I can use the pi zero for some higher purpose :) .

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back