reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else I thought of:

Since part of the capabilities of this project is timers, time is very important. The lack of a real time clock that keeps time in the event of a power outage. Theoretically, it should sync time at boot, but it will only be able to do so if it can see the internet. If it boots before your router is done starting up, it won't be able to.

We have the option of adding a hardware RTC, like this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3013

Would we be able to daisy chain this of the PCA9685 board so that we don't have to worry about the time?

Yes, this is what I sit around thinking about.

Now I have not lost power for a long time but each time I have lost power my pi has no issues connecting to my router and pulling IP and getting a correct time. Now I'm not saying there wouldn't be a case that this doesn't happen just *knock on wood* have not happen yet. It might be a good idea to look into something like a RTC.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else I thought of:

Since part of the capabilities of this project is timers, time is very important. The lack of a real time clock that keeps time in the event of a power outage. Theoretically, it should sync time at boot, but it will only be able to do so if it can see the internet. If it boots before your router is done starting up, it won't be able to.

We have the option of adding a hardware RTC, like this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3013

Would we be able to daisy chain this of the PCA9685 board so that we don't have to worry about the time?

Yes, this is what I sit around thinking about.
You dont have to worry about time anyway. Pi is connected to internet and time is synchronized by ntp. This is specified in the install guide as well . An RTC chip will certainly be helpful, but its not necessary.

The great thing about using world's most popular opensource IoT platform (Raspberry Pi) is that we have enormous possibilities to extend it, there are so many things that we can do with it. RTC chip is one of this, I have thought about adding ambient temperature and humidity sensor as well (after all cooling and heating requirements are dependant on home temperature and humidity), mcp2307 and many many more. reef-pi in its current state only has the must-have bits.
If you have time and money, please go ahead and install the RTC part :) , let us know how it goes.
I'll watch out for all the things community does with reef-pi, and make sure the helpful bits are incorporated into the standard build / software. .

Somnifac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I'm thinking about those times where there's no network connection available (cable down, Pi came up before router, etc.) or for someone who wants to run the system, but not on a network (the touchscreen makes that very possible).

I wasn't sure how multiple i2c devices work when connected. I didn't know if this was something that the software needed to be aware of.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I'm thinking about those times where there's no network connection available (cable down, Pi came up before router, etc.) or for someone who wants to run the system, but not on a network (the touchscreen makes that very possible).

I wasn't sure how multiple i2c devices work when connected. I didn't know if this was something that the software needed to be aware of.
i2c chips can be daisy chained. All you have to do is to cross check their address is not same. for RTC clock and pca9685 chip , you dont have to worry about this, i know they are different. If you are connecting two similar chip (like multiple pca9685 device,) then you have to solder a bit to change their i2c address.
reef-pi does not need to be aware of anything, you have to update some settings in linux to make it aware and use the rtc clock.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question - Is there anyway to preserve the outlets I set up when I update the DB for a new rev?
This will be the case after we hit 1.0 release. Till then, all the releases are development release and the database schema subject to change. If you want to avoid recreating the outlets, then my advice will be to hold off till 1.0 release (almost one and half month from now) and then do it for once. All 1.0 series updates will preserve your existing configuration.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if there is the possibility of having a programmable offset for the temperature sensor. Maybe somewhere burried in the configuration tab. Since the DS18B20 sensors are known to be off by a bit (mine are reading about 0.5deg low). It isnt a big deal, and I know the stability is more important than the actual number, but for logging purposes I would prefer a more accurate number.
With this, I would also like the abilitiy to program in some hysteresis for the temp controller. Right now my bottom heater temp is 77 (so actually 77.5). Rather than having the heater turn back off when water temp hits 77, could we have user adjustable upper heater limit, like 77.25?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone...new here. Just bought a Pi 3 and an Arduino hoping to make my own controller and learning in the process. Not sure where to start...
Hi, thanks for considering reef-pi
what all features you think you will need from this controller? Can you share some details about your use cases and tank setup? That will help us deciding the course of action.
reef-pi uses only Raspberry Pi, and few extra electronics component (no arduino). Installation and configuration guide can be found here: https://reef-pi.github.io/general-guides/install/

815reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I know sensors are something coming in later releases after v1.0. But i was wandering if anyone was using a program on the side of reefpi to monitor their ph or ec. I was looking at the white labs tentical, they have a 2 place whitch works directly with the pi or there is a 4 place tentical that works thru arduino. Both accept the ezo circuits from atlas scientific.

Great project btw been following along for awhile now.

marspeed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I know sensors are something coming in later releases after v1.0. But i was wandering if anyone was using a program on the side of reefpi to monitor their ph or ec. I was looking at the white labs tentical, they have a 2 place whitch works directly with the pi or there is a 4 place tentical that works thru arduino. Both accept the ezo circuits from atlas scientific.

Great project btw been following along for awhile now.
those boards are expensive

marspeed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stampb.png
STAMP BOARD.png

here are a couple stamp boards I did couple years back I think I have a few boards left when the time comes we can pl at around with them

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back