reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiller needs to be higher than heater thresh. For example, if your heater kicks in under 78 deg, you don’t want your chiller kicking in above 77 deg, because then the two devices would be fighting each other.

I think at some point I was having trouble with that feature and it ended up being that I needed to use PC web browser instead of my phone.
Yeah thats kind of what I figured out but thats not how I use the temp controller. I use the thermostats in the heaters and set the heater threshold higher up to use as a fail safe in case the thermostat sticks. All I was wanting is to control the fan when the temp reaches a certain temp and then cut it off when it reduces to a certain temp. Using the heater and chiller controls the relay is basically controlling the heater and I was trying to avoid that to keep the cycles off the relay. Wondering if there is any other way of doing it.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats kind of what I figured out but thats not how I use the temp controller. I use the thermostats in the heaters and set the heater threshold higher up to use as a fail safe in case the thermostat sticks. All I was wanting is to control the fan when the temp reaches a certain temp and then cut it off when it reduces to a certain temp. Using the heater and chiller controls the relay is basically controlling the heater and I was trying to avoid that to keep the cycles off the relay. Wondering if there is any other way of doing it.
It’s exactly what @DanTheReefer mentioned. If you don’t want reef-pi to control the heater (turn off ) when fan is on , then declare another temperature controller with the same sensor and use it to control only the chiller.
but this also means that you will run both heater and fan at the same time . But I assume that’s ok as the heater will internally shut off due to its internal thermostat , even if reef-pi keeps it on

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been couple of years since we moved in to the new house , and now the home related work is settled (it’s never finished ). I am taking this opportunity to get back to my original goal, to have more tanks.

I was pondering for some time .. on specifics of individual tanks . And was thinking of slowly setting up them one by One . But then I realized I have all the equipment , I just finished rebuilding whole bunch of old reef-pi controller with shiny new parts , and I have the tank and dry rock sitting idle . So why not just start cycling those . Here is what happened next
My next pico (calling it my son ‘s as he is the one choosing the corals , doing some of the chores ) . Started early Jan
1BD8D48C-78C6-472E-A7DC-C4041420AB00.jpeg

the next one started late March is the repurposed Red Sea reefer ato container . This one does not have any controller , it’s mostly to see keep those rocks alive . As I was mentioning , I have not decided yet on what to keep in it yet.

460608B3-351E-4DEC-8FF8-4142F4271B5A.jpeg

The only current resident
766A4820-CBE1-465B-9CAF-935778579377.jpeg

kickstarted my first biocube back again last month
B89E8D6F-B669-420A-8DF3-0AE014E5D9E1.jpeg

and here is the last remaining pico tank that was not sitting idle
F49A0C4E-8CC9-4BA8-B826-13D5056C6603.jpeg

These new tanks join the family with the older pico . One of them is pretty much same for past 3 years
184C882C-5BA7-49D7-B3E4-84A922193525.jpeg

the other old pico was being neglected . I took time to de-clutter it and bring some softies back. I’ll decide later what to do once the softies grow larger. I intend to transfer some in biocube .. but there should many other options

A lot of options to experiment with things now. I plan to slowly start experiment with different type of controller functions with this . I have already started with various lights .. will keep you all posted . Follow my build threads for any of the tank specific information
how did you attach that frag to the back wall? it looks great

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s exactly what @DanTheReefer mentioned. If you don’t want reef-pi to control the heater (turn off ) when fan is on , then declare another temperature controller with the same sensor and use it to control only the chiller.
but this also means that you will run both heater and fan at the same time . But I assume that’s ok as the heater will internally shut off due to its internal thermostat , even if reef-pi keeps it on
Yeah thats what I was thinking but I wasn't sure how to leave the heater control settings but it finally came to me. What I would like to do is is have the fan come on when the temp raises by 1 deg, can I use hysteresis to make that work. For example, id like the fan to come on when the temp hits 79.5 and lower it buy 1 degree, so take it back down to 78.5 and then turn off, rinse and repeat. Looks like I need to wore some fans up that I can play with the speed, if I can get the right speed then I can just leave them on, but right now the fan drives the temp low enough to where the heaters kick on and trying to avoid that.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you attach that frag to the back wall? it looks great
I just used ic gel . Btw , I have also glued the same cyphastrea in my 65g Red Sea reefer and it took off :/) , love it
8987767A-D7D5-4184-8E5B-83C5514F1B53.jpeg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what I was thinking but I wasn't sure how to leave the heater control settings but it finally came to me. What I would like to do is is have the fan come on when the temp raises by 1 deg, can I use hysteresis to make that work. For example, id like the fan to come on when the temp hits 79.5 and lower it buy 1 degree, so take it back down to 78.5 and then turn off, rinse and repeat. Looks like I need to wore some fans up that I can play with the speed, if I can get the right speed then I can just leave them on, but right now the fan drives the temp low enough to where the heaters kick on and trying to avoid that.

Keep us posted how it performs . I have used fan and heater together before but with a single controller and the heater was controlled by reef/pi with heaters internal temp set to higher (83)

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used ic gel . Btw , I have also glued the same cyphastrea in my 65g Red Sea reefer and it took off :/) , love it
8987767A-D7D5-4184-8E5B-83C5514F1B53.jpeg

hmm I'll give IC-gel specifically a try. I've been trying to make it stick only to find it fall off a few days later lol

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm I'll give IC-gel specifically a try. I've been trying to make it stick only to find it fall off a few days later lol
they do chip off easily, and i think if they dont grow on the new vertical surface they might fall off , the pre-existing frag thats glued is almost always less stable because the glue does not stick to the backwall very well (or it chips off very easily). I was lucky that the frags grew relatively quickly for me, and the new growth provided that stability. But still i was able to chip off the entire colony from the other pico to kick start the back wall for my 65 G.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Recommend having pi control heater and having the heater’s internal thermostat as the fail safe

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to source raspberry pi at msrp prices? Amazon is selling zeros for $80 and 4s for $160!
Adafruit is getting pi4's almost weekly, here is where I get updates from - https://rpilocator.com/?country=UK,US and I have been able to snag a few. Zero's w2 are still hard to come buy but they do pop up now and then, most I have purchased from the UK, shipping is a little higher but not to bad. Couple ways of doing it I use the RSS feeds and get notified.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a diy led display light using meanwell 3 way dimmable to off power supplies. Is it possible that feedback from the control wires could have caused damage to the controller?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adafruit is getting pi4's almost weekly, here is where I get updates from - https://rpilocator.com/?country=UK,US and I have been able to snag a few. Zero's w2 are still hard to come buy but they do pop up now and then, most I have purchased from the UK, shipping is a little higher but not to bad. Couple ways of doing it I use the RSS feeds and get notified.
I didn't find one on that website but I tried Adafruit and they had a pi 3 so I got one thanks!

reyokonova

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the robot tank system still the best option to use reef pi? if you don't want to do a lot of soldering and breadboards? where are the only salinity and or probes? and one final thing I can't seem to find one of the pi units that is recommended anyone tried one that is not on the list of pi's to use with Robotank?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Schreiber wondering if Leviathan 1.1 ORP can be used as Ph. I have your original leviathan, it looks like the main difference is we don’t need to BYOBuckconverters?

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the robot tank system still the best option to use reef pi? if you don't want to do a lot of soldering and breadboards? where are the only salinity and or probes? and one final thing I can't seem to find one of the pi units that is recommended anyone tried one that is not on the list of pi's to use with Robotank?
Personally, I'm making a DIY ReefPi Build since I do get off on doing these things. Saying that however, if I ever set up another system I would go for RoboTank. Simply costs too much money and time to DIY it. Up until now I easily spent well above 1000$ and 100h on equipment, planning and soldering. If you are not prepared to do that, I can absolutely recommend checking out Robo-Tank. There is also the Leviathan board, but there have been issues with support there. It's cheaper and smaller scale though.