reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few 128GB cards that I don't use that came with the Pi's ( got a bunch free a while back), do you think these would be fine? If I'm not mistaken these are the SD cards I have-

With some luck I may be able to put this together fully with parts I already have :)

Oh and for getting things loaded on the card @robsworld78 robotank has a good guide with a load script that will do all the heavy lifting, can be found here - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t9majBpGlqKacDjkyEZ1HQNWsTRo3woZ/

When you run the script and it asks if you are configuring for robotank select no and that will set up a non robotank installation, I use it all the time.

Last edited:

Tyberzann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with robotank, I think he may have options for non us mains, but not sure...otherwise you would have to roll your own. Keep in mind, the Kasa TP-link stuff also is an option, not sure if they have a UK version or not but see if they do something like this - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/smart-plug/kp303/
Thanks for the quick reply, tp-link do a UK version of that smart plug, however, I'm not sure how I'd config it to do the same power control as the reef pi does using a WIFI connection.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply, tp-link do a UK version of that smart plug, however, I'm not sure how I'd config it to do the same power control as the reef pi does using a WIFI connection.
Its covered in the guides, you add it as a driver and give it the ip address and thats how it connects to it..

here is the driver section:
Screenshot at 2023-01-19 14-33-03.png

Then you add the connectors then outlets, I think most if not all of that stuff is covered in the guides...

looks like robotank lets you order eu outlets for his power modules - https://www.robo-tank.ca/reef-pi-Pl...o-Tank-120v-240v-AC-Power-Bar-Fully-Assembled

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm , I must be reading the wrong guides as I haven't come across anything relating to WIFI control in the power controller section yet.
Came in in version 3 of reef-pi, has been around for some time.... https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.0

• Smart outlets & powerstrip support. (TPlink-HS110, HS103, HS300), with current monitoring capabilities

You may want to look through all the release notes information, lots of capabilities etc are highlighted: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases

Last edited:

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez, ok so much more than i realised, gives me some more stuff to read through.

Thanks very much!
Lots of information out there and it can be overwhelming for me.. but that the good part about it being open source.. you can pretty much work out any problem that you want to solve..vs having to go into a ecosystem were they may have limited solutions. Would have been alot easier for me to go of the shelf.. but I looked at it a a great way to learn something else.

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good morning
It's a great project
reef-pi 6.0
runs so far
but I can't start reef-pi first
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service
so far good as soon as i restart the raspi i have to restart the service to be able to start reef-pi so i have
sudo systemctl enable reef-pi.service
additionally entered.
I restart the Raspi and Reef-Pi
only started when I enter the reef-pi service I can't turn on the service with enable
and one more question
Can you already control a flow pump in reef-pi that I have is operated with 6 V via an external module for simulating the wave pattern

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
so my controller is now ready here are a few pictures
I hang it behind my aquarium because there is no space in the base cabinet

Attachments

• C9F8EA4E-DFD5-445B-A2F4-0A09DBF2BADC.jpeg
    C9F8EA4E-DFD5-445B-A2F4-0A09DBF2BADC.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 23628C00-CB51-46ED-85B4-E176D1ED9659.jpeg
    23628C00-CB51-46ED-85B4-E176D1ED9659.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 101
  • 4E79D84B-93FC-4979-B08E-6B9B064307DB.jpeg
    4E79D84B-93FC-4979-B08E-6B9B064307DB.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 113

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
so my controller is now ready here are a few pictures
I hang it behind my aquarium because there is no space in the base cabinet
Looks nice !
what kind of display and connection are you using ? I’m guessing a Pi3 or higher with an actual screen from the looks of it ?

With all those cables I hope you have a GFCI (?) switch on that Setup. Might be a good idea, especially when using a ground probe.

About the wavemaker:
A 0-6V signal is easy through PWM, e.g. the lights tab. Although currently there is no profile yet that changes the outputs fast enough for a wave pattern, I guess.
If you really want that you could either make an external service that tells ReefPi a new setting every few seconds or so, or use an external oscillator that does this in hardware with a turnable resistor to set the wave frequency.
What pattern would a wavemaker need ?
On-Off every few seconds, a ramp-up and down, a sinusoid ?

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice !
what kind of display and connection are you using ? I’m guessing a Pi3 or higher with an actual screen from the looks of it ?

With all those cables I hope you have a GFCI (?) switch on that Setup. Might be a good idea, especially when using a ground probe.

About the wavemaker:
A 0-6V signal is easy through PWM, e.g. the lights tab. Although currently there is no profile yet that changes the outputs fast enough for a wave pattern, I guess.
If you really want that you could either make an external service that tells ReefPi a new setting every few seconds or so, or use an external oscillator that does this in hardware with a turnable resistor to set the wave frequency.
What pattern would a wavemaker need ?
On-Off every few seconds, a ramp-up and down, a sinusoid ?
Thanks
the whole thing is via an FI
secured and is hung behind at the edge and with the flow pump your suggestion sounds very good I read it at the beginning of the forum. I'm only on page 400
had i forgotten use a raspi and go through vnc

Last edited:

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, since now two users have asked for this: a way to use a Raspberry Pi as a Hardware extension for a ReefPi on an x86 platform.

@Ranjib Couldn't we implement a driver that interfaces with the http-API of a ReefPi instance running on that Raspberry Pi ? Slight overkill on the software, but that might be the quickest solution to let a Raspberry Pi function as a hardware extension for an x86 platform.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, since now two users have asked for this: a way to use a Raspberry Pi as a Hardware extension for a ReefPi on an x86 platform.

@Ranjib Couldn't we implement a driver that interfaces with the http-API of a ReefPi instance running on that Raspberry Pi ? Slight overkill on the software, but that might be the quickest solution to let a Raspberry Pi function as a hardware extension for an x86 platform.
I think we do that now but its a hack.. I am teaching myself React and in the planing of creating a custom dashboard that will include api calls out to my rasberry-p to activate macros and include iframes that have grafana metrics.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we do that now but its a hack.. I am teaching myself React and in the planing of creating a custom dashboard that will include api calls out to my rasberry-p to activate macros and include iframes that have grafana metrics.

API

API V3​

reef-pi provides http json API. Entire UI is powered by the API. API requests needs to be authenticated using session (cookie). He is an example of getting the list of equipment
curl -X POST -c cookie.txt -d '{"user":"reef-pi", "password":"reef-pi"}' http://reef-pi.local/auth/signin
curl -b cookie.txt http://reef-pi.local/api/equipment

Every reef-pi installation ships with its API doc, linked directly from the footer section of the app. A copy of verion 3.x API is accessible from here

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea !

What I was asking goes a bit deeper, a Reef-Pi to have a driver that basically imports all of another ReefPi's functionality, including temperature, pH, Inlets, Outlets and PWM.

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Here again my lighting, which I will convert to ESP32.
As a result, I only need the 24 volt supply

Attachments

• 69EDD00D-6720-4571-A2B4-A164BE3C1E04.jpeg
    69EDD00D-6720-4571-A2B4-A164BE3C1E04.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, and that is exactly what i want to do. But we have some additional work to do for this to be a long-term, good solution. The current HAL driver layer was designed exclusively for hardware interfacing, hence only covers connector api. Not ato, temperature, ph like full control loop. This means with the current hal driver it's not possible to have the client reef-pi to have ato, ph, etc, it can only provide outlet, jacks etc.. the control loop still has to run in the mothership reef-pi. This is not a good way to integrate client reef-pi. We want the ato, ph like control loop to be fully running on the client reef-pi and the mothership reef-pi should only be used for UI/clustering requirements.

This is the reason i have decided to take some time and do it properly, i,e. extend the hal layer to accommodate full control loops and then integrate client reef-pi's with those driver interfaces. I'll try my best to have this done in reef-pi 7.0, this year's major release. finger crossed.

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, @Ranjib I'm testing Roberto Buti Ph Board with an ORP probe.
Which is the best way to calibrate this probe? I have 225mV calibration solution; ORP is a single value calbration.
Can I only enter 1 value in the calibration tab?
Like the photo below?
Thank you !

Attachments

• orp.jpg
    orp.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 61

cmitcham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1675253954557.png

wow. my 5 cheap amazon ds18b20 temp sensors need some serious calibration work. they are hanging together in a 5 gallon bucket of water with the cheapest amazon heater with temp display, and another cheapest amazon digital temp monitor. the 2 "references" agreed the temp was 93F at the highest point in the above graph. my 5 dallas sensors agree on the temp when they say 68ish, but good grief :)

ice bath and boiling water checks next. anyone have better accuracy and/or precision from these things?

thanks.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1675253954557.png

wow. my 5 cheap amazon ds18b20 temp sensors need some serious calibration work. they are hanging together in a 5 gallon bucket of water with the cheapest amazon heater with temp display, and another cheapest amazon digital temp monitor. the 2 "references" agreed the temp was 93F at the highest point in the above graph. my 5 dallas sensors agree on the temp when they say 68ish, but good grief :)

ice bath and boiling water checks next. anyone have better accuracy and/or precision from these things?

thanks.
Not all fakes are equal, some are better than others. I usually get AZDelivery brand if I order fake chips and stuff from Amazon. Might not exist worldwide, look up which ones are reliable. Mine were actually pretty consistent with each other and within 1°C of the truth. They all didnt last very long though, finally got a sparkfun original now, well see whether that one dies too.

I repotted the fake ones from their metal housing into aquarium silicon inside of a tube, but they always had the legs of the chip package rust away inside of the potting after 12-18 months underwater.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back