reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125g tank was setup with RKE controller and several modules. I have been trying to source a new head unit but I was not successful since the company went out of business.

Would it be possible to be a reef-pi controller that would reuse some of the RKE module such PB4 power bar, ALC light control...?

Thank you

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the circuit.
The error message comes up every time the sensor tries to take a reading I have it set for every 10 seconds.

IMG_4302.JPG

ATO page.

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4391.JPG
Your circuit and configuration looks correct for photo electric sensor. Are you using float switch ?

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of finishing up the pH monitor build. It will be published next week hopefully, Its been for few months now, but I never got to document the build guide.
Thank you for the help on the temps and also on the ph I'll be keeping an eye out for it. I haven't ordered the PH probe yet but I want all my jack for everything installed before I mount the box. Thanks again.. and amazing job.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125g tank was setup with RKE controller and several modules. I have been trying to source a new head unit but I was not successful since the company went out of business.

Would it be possible to be a reef-pi controller that would reuse some of the RKE module such PB4 power bar, ALC light control...?

Thank you

No go on the old rke equipment. I'd love to as I have 4x of the pc4 and all the other goodies.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No resistors on the pi hat the optical sensor has a 3 pin connection that goes to a break out board with 4 wires going to the sensor.

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG
your circuit looks fine to me. If you probe the three pin (5v, GND and GPIO 17) on the male header jumper, do you get expected reading, particularly when you put the sensor in and out of water?

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said in an earlier post I constructed the circuit on a bread board and hooked that up to the pi without the hat on and got the same result.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just rebooted the pi put the sensor in the water and it shut the relay for the pump off pulled it out and the pump turned on, but I still have nothing for the ato on the dashboard. I refresh the page and get the error message
and the column where the ATO is supposed to be is blank.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just rebooted the pi put the sensor in the water and it shut the relay for the pump off pulled it out and the pump turned on, but I still have nothing for the ato on the dashboard. I refresh the page and get the error message
and the column where the ATO is supposed to be is blank.
In your screen shot above the Dashboard Configuration under ato on the right you do not have a ATO Selected ..

and for some reason i was thinking the sensor and switch were the same My Mistake..

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your screen shot above the Dashboard Configuration under ato on the right you do not have a ATO Selected ..

and for some reason i was thinking the sensor and switch were the same My Mistake..

DERRP! I was so worried about the sensor not working right I didn't notice that.
It's ALIVE!
Thanks Erica

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you
No idea. But I think we may be able to hack some of those component at least. The power bar should be reusable

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm..is there a way to see what sugnal pc4 power bar uses?
I know there is software that lies within the power bar itself. It's more than just a relayed bar. Through the head units it can be programmed to default a channel on or off if the head u it is removed. These firmwares were periodically updated. It is signaled along a 6 wire rj11 buss. I'm not quite ready to open one of mine up.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a few cycles to start validating the "pico" original board I had made up almost 6+ months ago. Welp, how time flies with projects. It doesn't even use the new fancy logo :)

There are a few changes already required out of the box:

- The load switch fail-safe turned off the load switch. Instead of on. So its hard to power up the board without any power controller firmware. I simply bypassed it.
- Now I'm debugging the I2C bus which is held low by something. Going to hunt the various controllers on the board to see what is messed up, since a number of devices are attached to the bus (microcontroller, repeater, the isolator for the I2C circuit). This means the hardware RTC doesn't work right now.

Going to work on the other inputs and outputs next!
board-proto1.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back