reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried running a gyre pump without the branded controller? seems plausible you could drive it from reef-pi, but not sure what I'd be getting into.

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are port forwarding , you probably don’t need Vnc or tor. I do it always when I’m on vacation, but I do it only on-demand. I use google WiFi and that allows me to only open up the port when I need it and then close it back. Use https .
Not sure how to use https. I changed the address setting to https:// 0.0.0.0:94 but pretty sure it's not working. I disconnected my phone and typed in the address I'm using and it loads the warning page connection is not private. I can proceed through the advanced option but don't I have to configure it somehow by adding sll to the reef-pi server?
Screenshot_20200212-130508.png

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be as safe as forwarding anything else not running a host based security solution on it. Depending on the router you have, you may want to look into hosting your own VPN server on it, and connecting back to your home network through the VPN. There are a lot of manufacturers that have that feature natively built in. Some Asus routers come with a service to register your own domain name for free for this purpose so you don't have to worry about your ISP changing your WAN address on you. If the one you currently have doesn't support running a VPN server on it, you can look and see if it will support running a DD WRT build. I'm not a fan of just forwarding things through my edge devices, I prefer remote connections to terminate at the edge and get inspected before being allowed inside the network.
I'm using no ip so I don't have to worry about my isp changing my wan ip.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to use https. I changed the address setting to https:// 0.0.0.0:94 but pretty sure it's not working. I disconnected my phone and typed in the address I'm using and it loads the warning page connection is not private. I can proceed through the advanced option but don't I have to configure it somehow by adding sll to the reef-pi server?
Screenshot_20200212-130508.png
Your device doesn't trust the certificate being presented due to not knowing the CA (likely a self-signed.) If you click on Advanced at the bottom (it's a button, they just make it not look like one) it should give you the option to select something along the lines of Ignore and proceed to disregard the untrusted cert.

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are talking about $10-30 part costs it doesn't vary a whole ton so I would say if you won't miss the extra $40 or so, go for it. Pi zero w is about $10 and a pi 4 is about $45

It should be fully functional. If you ever want to upgrade to an Apex a Pi 4 would make a great retro gaming system or media center.

You mean downgrade to an Apex.. At the rate Reef-Pi is advancing, It won't be long until it has better features, functions, options and overall UI..

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are port forwarding , you probably don’t need Vnc or tor. I do it always when I’m on vacation, but I do it only on-demand. I use google WiFi and that allows me to only open up the port when I need it and then close it back. Use https .

I have mine set up to port forward incoming port 82 on my dynamic name space.. to port 80 on the Reef-Pi.. I travel a lot and like to keep an eye on things.. I mean.. someone could hack it, but.. it's a web page.. opening SSH would be far worse because then they might have access to start scanning the internal network for anything on the subnet and then try to bounce to something else.. Web access.. worse they could do is jack with the tank if they hacked the web admin page.. maybe don't keep that default. (probably smart advice in general)

Alaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note to be aware of: each pca9685 has pull-up resistors for the SCA and SDA lines. If you are planning to add more than one board you should remove them on the others as they will be all in parallel drastically reducing the overall resistance. As a result I2C communication will be failing or be inconsistent.
Hi, thanks for the tip. However in the Adafruit tutorial (PCA chaining) there is no mention of this and they say up to 62 can be chained !
Also many of us are running reef pi with PCA and pH boards working nicely together. So i would assume that it is just a precautionary act rather than necessary.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a trick to get the reef-pi dashboard to work on an IPAD ? Tried multiple browsers it just stays blank. It is an older IPAD.
I have relatively new ipad (couple of years old), and it renders dashboard/ui fine.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set up to port forward incoming port 82 on my dynamic name space.. to port 80 on the Reef-Pi.. I travel a lot and like to keep an eye on things.. I mean.. someone could hack it, but.. it's a web page.. opening SSH would be far worse because then they might have access to start scanning the internal network for anything on the subnet and then try to bounce to something else.. Web access.. worse they could do is jack with the tank if they hacked the web admin page.. maybe don't keep that default. (probably smart advice in general)
An open port on a Linux box can be like blood in the water for someone. It takes about two seconds to see what ports are listening. Once they’re in, escalation should be pretty easy since I bet nobody bothers to actually lock down the raspbian install (I know I didn’t).

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all today I recived jebao dp3s for testing with IRF520 Mosfet Driver. So my plan is that I wire 3 signals from 3 mosfet drives to mikes hat and control pumps with pwm like I contol leds. I just want to know does jebao main sends 12v voltage via phone cable or it sends signal? If it sends 12v then I connect 12 v from mosfet dirrectly to phone line connector, less mess for me..

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all today I recived jebao dp3s for testing with IRF520 Mosfet Driver. So my plan is that I wire 3 signals from 3 mosfet drives to mikes hat and control pumps with pwm like I contol leds. I just want to know does jebao main sends 12v voltage via phone cable or it sends signal? If it sends 12v then I connect 12 v from mosfet dirrectly to phone line connector, less mess for me..
Power and signal over the rj12. That’s one reason I like it. Only need to have one cable running to the pumps.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like main sends power dirrectly to motors. Ok so I will connect 3 mosfets between this paths and I will send signals via phone cable connector to reef pi, and provide 12v power supply dirrectly to mosfets. Sounds ok?

3F4FA224-54C9-47D2-8BC1-B40129510A92.jpeg

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know that but shipping to Slovenia takes like forever.. last time 1 waited for 2 months.. went from usa to eu to Vienna like 150 km from me and then back to usa and then back to me;). Mikes things are like the best! I will do it like this and then I will also modify main 5ch unit for pi..and also I have 20 mosfets, so I need to put them somewhere:)

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are decimal places for the duration of a dosing pump not allowed?

When i put in a number like "1.1" , so with a dot, the field goes red and says "Duration is required"
dos_dot.png

When i then instead put it like "1,1", with a comma, the field goes red without an error message
dos_comma1.png

but then when i save, i get a popup message that basically says "please choose a valid value. The two closes valid values are 1.1 and 2.1."

dos_comma2.png

Is that popup message just wrong? Because it tells me to use 1.1 or 2.1 but they dont work.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When i put in a number like "1.1" , so with a dot, the field goes red and says "Duration is required"
dos_dot.png

When i then instead put it like "1,1", with a comma, the field goes red without an error message
dos_comma1.png

but then when i save, i get a popup message that basically says "please choose a valid value. The two closes valid values are 1.1 and 2.1."

dos_comma2.png

Is that popup message just wrong? Because it tells me to use 1.1 or 2.1 but they dont work.
Try staying with whole seconds on the duration and adjusting the speed % to calibrate. That's what I did and got everything dialed in exactly where I wanted based on the viscosity of the stuff each pump was adding. You might have to play with the numbers on each to get just right though (ie drop %, add a second or raise %, drop a second.)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dos_dot.png

dos_comma1.png

dos_comma2.png

That’s validation error message is a bug . Only whole values are allowed

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back