reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm "playing" with my Raspberry and reef-pi.
I have conncted the DS18B20 temperature sensor straight to the Raspberry (pin 1-3-9) with no 4.7K resistor.
Often in the temperature tab I can't add any sensor (because there isn't any sensor available).
Sometimes there are 3 available sensors...
28-04177049bcff
28-2392abcabcabc
28-f0a0a0abbd4f
...which one is the right one?
I have selected the first one.
The temperature of the room is 19°C... the sensor reports more or less 25.
I have calibrated it (in the calibration the temperature runs very fast up and down from 24.XY to 25.XY and viceversa), but even if I keep it inside my hand (temperature should rise)... It always shows (more or less) the same temperature.
Any help?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm "playing" with my Raspberry and reef-pi.
I have conncted the DS18B20 temperature sensor straight to the Raspberry (pin 1-3-9) with no 4.7K resistor.
Often in the temperature tab I can't add any sensor (because there isn't any sensor available).
Sometimes there are 3 available sensors...
28-04177049bcff
28-2392abcabcabc
28-f0a0a0abbd4f
...which one is the right one?
I have selected the first one.
The temperature of the room is 19°C... the sensor reports more or less 25.
I have calibrated it (in the calibration the temperature runs very fast up and down from 24.XY to 25.XY and viceversa), but even if I keep it inside my hand (temperature should rise)... It always shows (more or less) the same temperature.
Any help?
The three fake probe setup happens when you run reef-pi in dev_mode. Its for development use. Always use 4.7K resistor and disable dev_mode.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bigtrout and others, appears that they have discontinued the sale of the DJ powerstrips. I know we now have the option of using the tplink smart interfaces but not sure I want or need to go down that path for my new build. I am looking on ebay for used relay packs and there are several. My question is if I want to go through and replace the internal relay with something better what would your recommendation be? Best bang for buck relay etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bigtrout and others, appears that they have discontinued the sale of the DJ powerstrips. I know we now have the option of using the tplink smart interfaces but not sure I want or need to go down that path for my new build. I am looking on ebay for used relay packs and there are several. My question is if I want to go through and replace the internal relay with something better what would your recommendation be? Best bang for buck relay etc.

Nice to see you back!

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see you back!
Thanks, had some *cough* health issues that kind of kept me busy. May have some additional stuff to deal with but decided to try and get a 29G reef tank going. I'm still in the process of building/completing the stand but hopefully that will be done this weekend and I can move to plumbing the tank to the sump. Lots of reading and watching BRS videos, trying to learn as much as I can while going through the process, long way to go.

My original reef-pi is still chugging along but will be setting up another one for the new reef tank, went the easy route with @Michael Lane addon boards. Trying to figure out what to do for the relay ports, doesn't look like you can purchase new the DJ relay packs, thinking about going used and maybe replacing the relays.

:)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We'll have DLI web pro and shelly one (pm) support in 2020.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

How precise can I get with the dosing pumps?

I've been modifying the time by 1 tenth of a second, but is it possible to change it by the hundredth?

For example, I run one of my pumps for 1.6 seconds. Would the program accept and run a command for 1.65 seconds?
No very. with dc pumps we cant be very precise with small volumes. Im working around with dilution instead for the time being, till we get stepper motor drivers in reef-pi (another thing i aiming in 2020)

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No very. with dc pumps we cant be very precise with small volumes. Im working around with dilution instead for the time being, till we get stepper motor drivers in reef-pi (another thing i aiming in 2020)
That will be amazing. I have a few stepper motors ready to go.

So dc pumps have their own issues, but since I run my pumps once an hour, there's enough repetition to create a pretty stable average dose from day to day. I'm happy enough for the time being with it, but definitely plan to be an early adopter of the step motor when its ready to go.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bang for the buck is an 8 channel relay from amazon, 4 outlets, an enclosure and build your own relay pack. If you are comfortable with ac mains wiring this is the cheapest and imho best way to go. Advantages are you can wire the relays either normally open or normally closed.
I wired mine normally closed so that if my raspberry pi fails the relays are closed and equipment is still on. If the relay board fails...10 bux and swap it out rather quickly.

I personally would not mess with a used dj strip. They use the same type relay as youd be using to roll your own.

Now if you want to get fancy you can sink alot of money into better relays but space becomes a premium with better commercial type relays.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bang for the buck is an 8 channel relay from amazon, 4 outlets, an enclosure and build your own relay pack. If you are comfortable with ac mains wiring this is the cheapest and imho best way to go. Advantages are you can wire the relays either normally open or normally closed.
I wired mine normally closed so that if my raspberry pi fails the relays are closed and equipment is still on. If the relay board fails...10 bux and swap it out rather quickly.

I personally would not mess with a used dj strip. They use the same type relay as youd be using to roll your own.

Now if you want to get fancy you can sink alot of money into better relays but space becomes a premium with better commercial type relays.

Thanks for the reply, I thought you built yours but couldn't remember.

Yeah I'm comfortable with AC wiring I've done a good bit, the problem i have is the enclosure part, what did you use for an enclosure? If you know of any good build how to's for the relay stuff shoot me a PM etc, some of the ones I've seen cobbled together not really how I'd want to have it, for me it was always figuring out a decent enclosure.

Update: This one looks pretty decent https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/another-reef-pi-build.506894/page-4, but would like something more compact, always the dang enclosure. I keep almost getting a 3d printer and that would be nice to print something out for the enclosure. Wiring looks really straight forward, nothing difficult there that I see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I figured there was something in the work just wasn't sure. I saw some references to possibly a larger tank, what size are you thinking you will want to do?
I would like to do the water box frag 85.3 or 105.3, but not sure yet.
the house I purchased is 100 year old , but remodeled right before we bought it (kinda fixer upper). The seller did roof, floor, drywall etc.. but lot of things still needs to be done. I think I’ll be busy weigh hvac, water heater and electrical upgrades for next 6 months and then focus on the new tank. By then I’ll have some more confidence on how big tank I can manage and how much plumbing I can do to reduce water change burden.
Till then I plan to focus a lot on wood working , garden/landscape and electrical stuff. Expect Shelly/sonoff integration to come out as part of that, along side home assistant and may be sprinkler system/mqtt .. etc

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to do the water box frag 85.3 or 105.3, but not sure yet.
the house I purchased is 100 year old , but remodeled right before we bought it (kinda fixer upper). The seller did roof, floor, drywall etc.. but lot of things still needs to be done. I think I’ll be busy weigh hvac, water heater and electrical upgrades for next 6 months and then focus on the new tank. By then I’ll have some more confidence on how big tank I can manage and how much plumbing I can do to reduce water change burden.
Till then I plan to focus a lot on wood working , garden/landscape and electrical stuff. Expect Shelly/sonoff integration to come out as part of that, along side home assistant and may be sprinkler system/mqtt .. etc

Yes once you get a house the projects never seem to end, always something else to work on. Electrical is interesting in an old house, I would assume its been upgraded at some point and hopefully they did a proper job with ground etc. If its two wire circuits they are interesting things to retrofit, at least around here for the older 2-wire homes GFCI are the outlets to meet code since they do not rely on a ground to trip. I have a friend with an older house like built back in the 60's and thats what he used to replace outlets that had been *cough* replace with the normal 3-wire outlets that didn't have a ground.

Sounds like you will be busy and probably learning a lot of new things, congrats again on the house, going to go look up the waterbox frag boxes. :)

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I wanted to introduce myself to everyone, I’m Rob and I love aquarium controllers. :) About 5 years ago I started building a controller of my own Robo-Tank, it’s pretty cool but expensive for a few reasons, limited web access and the display ran on an Arduino so it was slow to load like the 90s. A few months ago I decided I was going to use a Raspberry Pi to get away from the Arduino display and have a web page communicate with the controller.

Someone mentioned I should build some hardware for Reef-pi but I didn’t think Ranjib would appreciate that, man was I wrong, he’s been very welcoming, thanks! Doing the web app would be a big learning curve for me which is why I never had it, Arduino code is easy compared to what would be needed for an app so I thought instead of trying to re-invent the wheel I would help contribute to Reef-pi and help it grow.

I’ve been spending some time with it and impressed, great job Ranjib. One thing that’s definitely lacking is setup info, and I fully understand why, so I plan to make a nice set of manuals and such and keep them updated, hoping I can bug some of you for info on features I’m not sure about.

I love making boards, I’m not a professional by any means but can do ok and have been involved with electronics basically my whole life. What I want to do for Reef-pi is make a variety of hardware and patch cables so it’s easy to connect equipment. I love how expandable Reef-pi is, with the right hardware skies the limit and I have lots of ideas.

Open-source concept is fairly new to me, even though Reef-pi is open-source I still viewed it as Ranjib’s software and never imagined I could do this, so to be fair everything I make will be open-source as well. I have to figure out the Git-hub and such but once I get things finalized I’ll just post files on my site for now. I also make 3D cases for everything so those will be available as well.

Well here’s my first Reef-pi prototype. :)

Deluxe_pics.jpg

I have a smaller version without pH and a nice 8 outlet AC power bar that plugs in the DB9's.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I wanted to introduce myself to everyone, I’m Rob and I love aquarium controllers. :) About 5 years ago I started building a controller of my own Robo-Tank, it’s pretty cool but expensive for a few reasons, limited web access and the display ran on an Arduino so it was slow to load like the 90s. A few months ago I decided I was going to use a Raspberry Pi to get away from the Arduino display and have a web page communicate with the controller.

Someone mentioned I should build some hardware for Reef-pi but I didn’t think Ranjib would appreciate that, man was I wrong, he’s been very welcoming, thanks! Doing the web app would be a big learning curve for me which is why I never had it, Arduino code is easy compared to what would be needed for an app so I thought instead of trying to re-invent the wheel I would help contribute to Reef-pi and help it grow.

I’ve been spending some time with it and impressed, great job Ranjib. One thing that’s definitely lacking is setup info, and I fully understand why, so I plan to make a nice set of manuals and such and keep them updated, hoping I can bug some of you for info on features I’m not sure about.

I love making boards, I’m not a professional by any means but can do ok and have been involved with electronics basically my whole life. What I want to do for Reef-pi is make a variety of hardware and patch cables so it’s easy to connect equipment. I love how expandable Reef-pi is, with the right hardware skies the limit and I have lots of ideas.

Open-source concept is fairly new to me, even though Reef-pi is open-source I still viewed it as Ranjib’s software and never imagined I could do this, so to be fair everything I make will be open-source as well. I have to figure out the Git-hub and such but once I get things finalized I’ll just post files on my site for now. I also make 3D cases for everything so those will be available as well.

Deluxe_pics.jpg

I have a smaller version without pH and a nice 8 outlet AC power bar that plugs in the DB9's.

Welcome!

Those are some nice enclosures and I know I'm not the only one that will be very interested in everything you add!

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Deluxe_pics.jpg

Welcome,
Welcome!

Those are some nice enclosures and I know I'm not the only one that will be very interested in everything you add!

+1 Welcome!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back